It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2003, 08:00 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

CherylLynn24 HB UserCherylLynn24 HB UserCherylLynn24 HB User
Question Burning muscles....

Hi There,

My son got his new splint last week, and after the very first night wearing it said that his molars weren't hurting when he woke up. Now, I've kept him very active the past few weeks now. (walks, stretching and low impact exercise, mostly) Saturday he woke up and his neck quit hurting! Today it's mildly hurting, but not like before. I'd like to think that this splint is begining to work, but the past few days he's really been complaining of his muscles burning. Mostly the temporal and around the jaw in the cheek area. Now common sense would tell me that this is a good thing, they've been tight for so long that maybe they're loosening or stretching out some, but common sense isn't always the case when it comes to certain things. Anyone know-good or bad?

Cheryl

Old 05-06-2003, 12:35 PM   #2

sandra1 HB User
Cool

Cheryl,

I thought I tell you something that may or may not help, but I will try anyway.

Since last fall I had and still have a setback in the joints because I was chewing gum alot for a few weeks and then my jaw started to flareup again. I don't want to go in details, but I noticed that around my jawline, cheeks, chin, has a burning feeling that may come and go during the day. It's almost like I have a slight sunburn feeling there. I know it's from my jaw flareup since Nov.

Does this information help?

Sandi

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-06-2003, 01:01 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sandi,

Thanks for responding to me. Is your burning in the muscle? My son's is in the muscle, he says that it feels like they're on fire. I'm not sure if this is a flare up, because he's had some minor improvement while he's getting these sensations. I guess I'm wondering if this is a good or bad thing. The only thing that I can compare it to is-I started doing ab exercises (since swimsuit weather is almost here!) and the first few days after doing them, my abs burned sooo bad. Now, I realize that is a good thing, they're being stretched out. Now, with him, I'm wondering if the same idea applies. Or is it they're becoming more irritated and inflamed? I have a hard time understanding that would be the case if he's showing minor improvement. Do you know what I mean?
Cheryl

[This message has been edited by CherylLynn24 (edited 10-30-2003).]

Old 05-06-2003, 01:18 PM   #4

p-nacho HB User
Heya Cheryl.. I think that sounds like that might be what is happening. Muscles will certainly react to different things. I guess the only counterpart is that when you are doing ab exercises you are tearing down the muscles so that you can build more. Is that the same purpose of the splint tho? (I'm not an exercise person myself so I'm not sure my logic here is altogether right hehe) You might want to call the doctor and at least report the symptoms.. tell him the good with the bad so that he can at least be informed. He might have some advice on how to aleviate the new symptoms too.

but regardless... WOO HOO on Mike's show of improvement. It's great that he is showing signs of getting better. That is soooOOO encouraging and I bet the both of you are thrilled!!!

Keep up the great work supermom!
p

Old 05-06-2003, 01:31 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hey p,

Yeah, we're excited, or should I say that I'm excited over some little improvement, but kids, they want everything instantly! He's not really excited, just wants to know why he's not 100% yet. I'm just hoping that this burning muscle thing isn't a drawback. I know Cymy Sue said that her's have burned before, maybe she'll know whether that's good or bad. I'll give the doc a call if it keeps up later this week, although I always feel like I'm being bothersome. Ya know how they make ya feel sometimes! As for both splints, they're supposed to help the muscles to relax.

Yeah, supermom, by the time he starts to get better, I'll probably be sitting in the corner cross-eyed, not knowing my name! http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/dizzy.gif
Cheryl

Old 05-06-2003, 01:54 PM   #6

sandra1 HB User
Cheryl,

I do agree with you that you should call the Dr. if it doesn't clear up or something for Mike. His's situation is quite different from my, so we may be talking about two different things. I will say though, that when I wear my splint at night, and the next morning when I wake up, I don't feel any of that sunburn feeling. Only as the day goes on, that I feel it.

So, Mike hang in there! Things will get better, evenually.

Have a nice evening,

Sandi

Old 05-06-2003, 03:26 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sandi,

What I've been reading is that lactic acid builds up in the overworked muscles causing the "burning" feeling. Stretching is supposed to help, but those are some difficult muscles to stretch, your head is alittle different than your arm or leg!

Cheryl

Old 05-06-2003, 04:02 PM   #8

sandra1 HB User
Cool

Cheryl,

Thanks for that little tip on what you had read. Stretching does help overworked muscles in our body. I know that from experience because for years I have been stretching my other areas, like my legs, neck, and shoulders due to injuries. When a muscle is first injured, you may feel a burning feeling or inflammation there, and will continue to feel that until you have done alot of physical rehab over a period of months or so. I excercise my jaw as well, and it does help.

Let us know, later on, how Mike is doing in that area of his muscle burning.

Sandi

Closed Thread