It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2003, 12:22 AM   #1

p-nacho HB User
Post does weight play an issue?

I was just curious.. I've started the atkins diet recently and I'm a bit scared that the weight loss might affect my jaw. Does weight play an issue in symptoms? Like if I lose/gain will my symptoms become worse?

p

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-04-2003, 12:33 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

CherylLynn24 HB UserCherylLynn24 HB UserCherylLynn24 HB User
Heya p,

Haven't seen ya in awhile. How ya been doing?

Cheryl

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-04-2003, 09:38 AM   #3
Veteran

HRevero HB User
Hey p,
I was doing Weight Watchers and my weight never played an issue. It NOW is but not because of my tmj. I can't eat anything besides pasta and fish really, oh yeah I am eating soggy Frosted Flakes - for some reason I just can't get enough of those.
Heather

Old 05-04-2003, 05:25 PM   #4

p-nacho HB User
Heya Cheryl! I've been doing okay. Dummy me didn't take one of my meds for a couple of days since I was starting to feel better. Then my ears clogged up so I took it again which cause the fluid to drain back into my jaw. Now I'm back at square one! heh. I'm glad I know now though

I was inspired by Mike to go get an mri. I'm calling my doc first thing tomorrow morning and scheduling it. I think knowing if it is a joint or muscle problem will definately help in knowing what to do next.

So what's going on with you? You in pain still? Have you been to the doctor yet for you? I saw on another post that you were going to give this doctor for Mike another 3 weeks. That's probably a good decision. I'm so happy that it's not a joint problem! I just hope yall can find a doctor soon who can relate and who will really listen to yall. I know they exist!

Anyways .. I hope your Sunday is really good. I'm still praying for you and Mike!

======================================== ====
Heya Heather! I decided to go on atkins cause I was halfway there already. With the gerd I had cut out pasta and with the tmj I was basically eating salads and really small cut up meat and fish. This way I could eat all I wanted to and hopefully lose weight heh. The only thing I've really had to give up was my soda junkie style. I drank about a 12 pack of dr. pepper per day. Whew I miss the caffeine.

I guess I was just concerned if I lost weight in my face that the symptoms might get worse with the tmj. I hadn't read anything about it so I thought I'd ask here

I'm still praying for you too girl. I hope church went okay for you today! *hug*

p

Old 05-05-2003, 10:38 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

CherylLynn24 HB UserCherylLynn24 HB UserCherylLynn24 HB User
Cool

Heya P,

I'm sorry I missed this post. Did you end up scheduling an MRI for yourself? How's the pain doing? Did you go back on the meds? Look at me, 20 questions!

I'll give this tmj doc some time, but when he says the words "pain clinic" I'm off to find someone new. Me, I'm hanging in there, as soon as I get the kid alittle relief, I think that I'll be going in for the good ole impressions for a splint, hehe. Anyway, I hope you're doing better than when you wrote this, let me know.
Cheryl

Old 05-06-2003, 10:03 AM   #6
Veteran

HRevero HB User
Hey P,
How do you eat salad? Do you jsut swallow it? I have been wanted a salad but I am afraid to chew it.
Heather

Old 05-06-2003, 02:33 PM   #7

p-nacho HB User
Heya! Yes I've been eating salad. I eat primarily greek salad though. It's made up of primarily romaine lettuce.. very thinly sliced cucumbers.. feta cheese.. and tomatoes. Then I make the greek dressing with olive oil (the main ingredient), red wine vinegar and some greek spices. I mix the dressing up really well and pour over the lettuce (and other veggies) in a mixing bowl. Then I put the lid on and shake.. and then I put in fridge for about 20 minutes. The oil from the dressing kind of coats the salad mix (lettuce cheese and other veggies) and makes it kind of soggy (wow saying that makes it sound gross, but I absolutely love it)

I can give you the exact recipe, but I'm sort of new to the Greek salad world hehe. I'd been buying it from the Greek restaurant down the street, but it's 8 bucks for a 2 person salad so I thought I'd make my own. I'm in day 3 of experimental stage. Last night's was yummy though so I might stick with that mix.

If you have a greek restaurant nearby.. you might try their salad to see if you even like that type.

p

Old 05-07-2003, 09:04 AM   #8
Veteran

HRevero HB User
Hey P,
Yeah if you can please give me the receipe for the dressing. I usually can't stand dressign but this one sounds pretty good, I could give it a shot. I have been trying to eat healthy, but it is hard when most of the healthy foods I can't chew or even suck on. I guess it does not help that I am so PICKY when it comes to food. Everything is usually plain for me. I can say this though, I don't REALLY have that big of a problem if certain foods on plate touch each other(sometimes I do).
http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/blob_fire.gif

Closed Thread