It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2003, 01:15 PM   #1

kms82278 HB User
Red face Hopefully, someone knows what I'm talking about . . .

Hi all. I don't post here often, just kind of linger and read. I find it really helpful. For the past week or so, I've been getting this weird sensation on the right side of my face. When I move my head and neck in certain directions (i.e if I'm stretching or pulling my right neck muscle) I get this weird pulling and twitching sensation on the right side of my face, through my cheek and down toward my mouth. It also makes my eye feel very dry. Thing is, you can't see any twitching if you look in the mirror and it's not constant. I was at the dentist yesterday getting fitted for my very first nightguard and, after the lengthy exam, my face was especially worse. I'm just wondering if this is a symptom of TMJ for anyone else. My doc said that it was but it's just so strange it's hard for me to believe it's really my jaw.

Thanks for any help!

Old 05-06-2003, 03:18 PM   #2

MichaelV HB User
Sounds like a nerve issue which could easily be caused by problems with your jaw, your neck or both - especially with it being triggered by stretching of the muscles on the affected side. Try not to stretch for a while! It may well calm down and the fact it is preying on your mind will not be helping much.

[This message has been edited by MichaelV (edited 05-06-2003).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-07-2003, 09:55 AM   #3

kms82278 HB User
Thanks for replying! A little extra reassurance really helps!

Old 05-07-2003, 12:17 PM   #4

MichaelV HB User
You are welcome - I know what a disabling thing paranoia can be! The problem with all nerve and muscle tension issue sis one tends to focus right in on them.
For example, if youwere to go on a beautiful cruise around a gorgeous caribbean island, I can almost guarantee the problem would cease! ;-)

I am simplifying of course but ou take my point?

Almost EVERYTHING in your head and neck, musculature wise is connected and some very very strange effects can be induced by the smallest tensions, trappings of nerves etc. What you should try to do is take every care to relax your neck and your jaw. The results will not be instantaneous but if you keep up a regime, the biomechanics of your head and neck will settle down. If you have a more severe problem such as a trapped or damaged nerve, dislocated joint etc an expert can maybe give you some manipulation. But calming down all the muscles is a crucial starting point

Closed Thread