It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2003, 02:07 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

totallyconfused HB User
Arrow What causes the clicking when I talk or swallow?

It's not popping or clunking, but a sharp, definite "click"-I earlier compared it to the clicking of a typewriter. If it isn't arthritis--as my x-rays didn't show any degeneration of the bone, is it scar tissue or the disc? Does anyone have any ideas? It is really annoying and I'm not sure it is ever going away.

[This message has been edited by totallyconfused (edited 06-16-2003).]

Old 05-09-2003, 04:14 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

TiffanyAnn HB User
Hi Cathleen:
It sounds like your problem is that your jaw pops or clicks or when you open your mouth to a certain point. Mine does this and I was told that the click or pop is when my jaw is sliding back into the proper position but as soon as I close my mouth it slides right back out of place so when I open it wide enough it slides back in and on and on it goes.
Tiffany

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-09-2003, 05:32 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

totallyconfused HB User
Smile

Tiffany,

I know I have a regular popping and clunking when I open to a certain point and close. That is my disc reducing. This clicking is kinda different. It clicks when I talk--making certain sounds usually. I don't have to open my mouth any wider, it's like when my tongue moves a certain way it causes the clicks. Also, sometimes when I just swallow with my mouth closed. I am guessing it is the condyle rolling over scar tissue or something, as we don't think the disc is there--we think it is anteriorly displaced.

I could be wrong, though. I know other people have had this. I just don't know if it will go away if the disc is recaptured, or if it is something I will have to live with forever. Also, I am wondering if the inflammation in my joint could be causing it.

It doesn't do it ALL the time, but it does it alot.

Thanks so much for the help. I hope you are doing better.

[This message has been edited by totallyconfused (edited 06-16-2003).]

Closed Thread