It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2003, 01:35 AM   #1

tessjs HB User
Red face Cracking in the ears

Hi I haven't been to this board for a while since at least the end of 2001 I have been doing ok. I have had continulal physio for my tmj as I have had a neck problem that has caused it.I'm back here cause I am in strife again and all because of a common cold. I have had a lot of cracking in my ears and popping with my tmj they were part of the symtoms with muscular pain. I got a severe cold and severe sore throat a week and a half ago and slowly but surely my popping and cracking in the ears has returned but mainly to my right ear when in the past(01 ) it was the left mainly. MY jaw had also gone tight which it hadn't for a long time my physio was aghast last week when she saw it the cold really knocked my jaw around and now when I swallow my right ear cracks and pops and its driving me nuts. What has happened how could I be fine for many months and now after a cold I have gone back 18 months or so in progress? I still have remnants of the cold it was very nasty. I'm jusy shocked because I thought i had gotten rid of the cracking and popping in my ears is it due to the cold i have had or has something else may have happened.I hadn't had a cold since august 01 whether that makes a difference i dunno but I'm concerned here i was thinking I'd recovered from tmj but in reality I haven't have I? Please anyone with any clues as to why i may have gone backwards please respond.What do I ask my physio do I grill her over it? I have spent alot of money with her.And when I blow my nose my right ear screeches like there is air caught in there but the left doesn'tand i have not the best hearing at the moment its like my hearing is dull.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-04-2003, 06:53 AM   #2

MichaelV HB User
Well if you have had a severe throat infection there is every chance that you have developed congestion in your ears too. The screeching when you blow your nose would suggest this. Perhaps you should go on a course of decongestants for a while.
As for the tmj - I am not sure how a cold could affect it...perhaps the pain of your sore throat made your throat and neck tense. Try the decongestants for a week and see what occurs.
Good luck

Old 05-05-2003, 11:38 AM   #3
(male)

nirmal HB User
when you were coughing your jaws was forced to open and close very fast on a regular basis!

maybe this caused the problem

Old 05-07-2003, 04:16 PM   #4

fibrine HB User
You had crackling in the ears that went away?!
I'm sorry to read it came back but it if it has gone away once it can probably go away twice... I hope you'll get better.
My ears have been crackling for 8 months now. I hate it. How long did it take you for the crackling to go away the first time?
Mine is better but hasn't gone yet!
Did you have tinnitus and did it also dissapeared?
Fibrine, Paris , France

Old 05-07-2003, 08:24 PM   #5

p-nacho HB User
heya! My whole tmjd problem started with a horrible ear infection so it's definately possible that yours is acting up again because of your cold/ear infection. The only relief with the popping that has helped is the nasal steroids that I take. If I take them like I'm supposed to I can minimize the popping.. but as of yet I can't cure this. I have moderate hearing loss in my left ear as well from all of this.

Sorry you are feeling bad again.. especially since you had somewhat cure this beast. Hope you get to feeling better soon!

p

Old 05-07-2003, 09:15 PM   #6

tessjs HB User
Talking

Thanks for all the support and your stories. Look it took along time for the popping cracking clicking etc when i swallowed to go away. I started full on physio therapy in 2001 DEc and i probably saw a fair result by May of 02. But it doesn't mean i have had it all good since then i have had flair ups on and off stress being one of the main factors of any flair up. I had occasional popping etc here and there there was no ryhme or reason one day it would be there and then not.I made the best of the days i didn't have it.My tinnitus isn't gone, no way I think i just got used to it and forget i have it.But set backs like this are dreadful because you get used to haveing full movement back in the jaw and none of the annoying noises etc it rally tears you apart when it comes back.I can't prevent a severe cold although I staved off one for 18 months or more The last time i had a cold is when I wasn't getting treatmentaug(01) so I expected things to be bad.But the cold I have had here where I live is bad my physio has other tmjd patients with it or have caught it and they TOO have gone backwards. I got my physio done yesterday and my physio is confident I can get things back on track I'm doing all my massages at home with more purpose and more determination and back to eating soft foods. I see it as a temporary setback one ONLY I can get out of.I am also going to seek advice on how to stave off a cold I have tried echinacea but have been told the body gets used to it and then it fails. Anyone with a any advice on colds and how to prevent them I'd be happy to hear from you It rally effects my tmj and winter hasn't even begun where I live.Mine is a neck problem as well which is under control I also forgot to mention my glands were swollen like golf balls with my cold apparently so it knocked out both sides of the jaw and then all the trouble started. I'm not feeling great today but I'm hoping I can get back to where I was. I think physio has helped me and i don't wear a splint, mine failed in 2001 it never helped But for others that may be there only way.Anyway gotta go, got the worst headache its a long way back I think.But I gotta believe I'll get back.

Old 05-08-2003, 04:46 AM   #7

fibrine HB User
I don't wear splint and my symptoms have improved too. I still have T (but less loud), the crackling when swallowing and sometimes the itch deep in the ear. Do you have the itch? It always seems to precede the spasms in the jaw and the pain in the ear.
fibrine

Old 05-08-2003, 08:50 AM   #8
(female)

TRACIEL HB User
I too have the crackling and popping noises in my ears. I had braces put on and wore them for about 2.5 years and the popping noises went away. I have had my braces off for about 6 months now and everything is starting to return. I was wondering what you meant about muscle spasms? Whenever I turn my head a certain way I will get this pulsating noise in my right ear. It will last a few seconds and then go away. It is very annoying. I was wondering if that could be a "muscle spasms". It also happens when I bend over to pick something up.

Thanks for your help.

Old 05-09-2003, 01:46 AM   #9

fibrine HB User
This is call pulsatile tinnitus and no it's not what I call muscle spasm. I mean muscle tension , when the muscles contracts and is completly tight (I m french may be I used the wrong word)
I have had pulsatile T for a few seconds but it's very rare. You hear your heart beat from the artery next to the ear.
Fibrine

Old 05-09-2003, 03:32 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

hbep HB Userhbep HB Userhbep HB User
Hi there Fibrine,

I was reading Clair Davies 'Trigger Point Therapy workbook' this morning. (Just arrived in the post - very happy about this - thanks to you Fibrine and all those who responded to Fibrine's post about self help techniques)

Anyway, I know you have spoken about an itch deep inside your ear, this might explain your itch - I quote from the above book, page 64:

"Bags under the eyes and twitching of the eye or eyelid can be traced to trigger points in masseter muscles. They can also cause deep pain in the ear, accompanied by a sense of stuffiness or the sounds of low roaring. They're often responsible for the MADDENING ITCH inside your ear that you can't seem to reach.'

When I read this I remembered a few posts from you about the itch and thought it might be helpful.

best,

hbep.

Old 05-09-2003, 10:49 PM   #11

Stacie212 HB User
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally posted by fibrine:
This is call pulsatile tinnitus and no it's not what I call muscle spasm. I mean muscle tension , when the muscles contracts and is completly tight (I m french may be I used the wrong word)
I have had pulsatile T for a few seconds but it's very rare. You hear your heart beat from the artery next to the ear.
Fibrine
I wonder if you are talking about the same thing I have. For years now, every day I have these cracking sounds in my jaw. they are very strange, kind of like the sounds rice crispies makes in milk. those tiny little cracking sounds. I feel like I have some control over making them but I can't seem to stop it. These sounds drive me crazy when I'm lying in bed at night trying to sleep. I feel like there are noises in my head. its horrible. The doctors never understand what I mean when I describe these noises.Both of my joints are very inflammed (my whole face is swollen) due to my TMJ and the discs in my jaw are out of place. I constantly hear and feel the heartbeat in both of my joints. it's pounding very loudly, and I have horrible horrible headaches. The past few days the headaches have been the worst, and I took ultracet which only made it 100 times worse and I couldn't even stand up. The past few days, I also started having this burning feeling in my jaw. it feels like when you put alcohol on a wound. there's this warm burning feeling. and I feel like something warm is moving in my jaw and in my head. I don't know how to describe it. like thes warm waves in my jaw and head.
does anyone else have this? I went to a doctor who sen me to have a brain MRI but I don't get the results for a few days. I'm kind of freaking out.
thanks,
-Stacie

Old 05-10-2003, 02:48 AM   #12

fibrine HB User
Hi Stacie
Some people have "myoclonus" of tiny muscles in the ear or of the ET. May be this is what you suffer from. It makes clicliclicliclic...

Thanks Hbep
I had read the same thing. It makes sense too me.
Fibrine

Closed Thread