It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2003, 11:04 PM   #1

uscoastiewife HB User
Question Can splint break from night clenching?

Hi there!My splint looks like it has been run over.My Dr. made it pretty thin,so I can have a normal bite with it in.I have heard conflicting stories.Is it better to wear a different splint,or NTI,or...at night?Since this Doc doesn't really like the use of splints,he probably won't want to go through making me another one for night.He likes the progress though.I actually have movement in my jaw.The muscles before were causing limited movement.Anyway,can I crack the splint in half from clenching in my sleep?I don't want to break it.I'm getting better since the muscles are more relaxed,but at first I wasn't use to the solid bite.I didn't know where my natural resting position was,and I couldn't close my mouth without biting the splint.

Old 05-11-2003, 04:28 PM   #2

sandra1 HB User
Cool

Hi uscoastiewife,

You were asking if you can break your splint during the night? Well, I read somewhere in a literature, that patients may bite large teeth marks into a night bite guards and can fracture appliances. But, I think that would mean only if you are really clenching hard or grinding hard at night. I had my bite plate for 8 years, and I only clench some...
I don't think of myself as a hard clencher. I think if you want to know how much of a clencher you are, look at your bite plate... are their large teeth marks on it? And when you go to your Dr. for adjustments, ask him if he can tell by adjusting your plate how much of a clencher you are.

Because I had the splint for so long, I am thinking of moving into a different direction... maybe a NTI.
But you sound like you only had the splint for a short while, is that right? And it sounds like you are making some progress with it. If I were you, I would stick with it for awhile, and if you find you are having more problems with your jaw or something, that might be the time to change to something else.

I hope I have answered some of your questions. I am just telling you from my own experience.

Sandi

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-12-2003, 09:32 PM   #3

uscoastiewife HB User
Thanks for your reply!Yes,I've only had it for a couple weeks now.I'll ask the Dr. about clenching.

Closed Thread