It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2003, 10:54 PM   #1

Stacie212 HB User
Post Burning in Jaw

Hi,
I have had TMJ for 6 years and for the first time a few days ago, I started having this burning feeling in my jaw, like when you put alcohol on a wound. My joints are very inflammed and I wonder if that's what's causing this. But they have been severely inflammed for years and I have never experienced this before. I get these warm waves in my joints that then seem to move around in my head,and I have horrible headaches.
does anyone else have this?
Thanks,
-Stacie

Old 05-09-2003, 11:15 PM   #2

uscoastiewife HB User
Hi there!I have those symptoms also.I can barely describle the wierd feelings I get in my head.I had the headache problem also.Throbbing muscles and numbness too.I use to get them 5-7 times a week.(headaches)Acupunture worked.Now I started physical therapy.They were explaining how if the jaw is off just a tiny bit,or neck problems,that can cause a lot of the headaches and muscle pain.My upper body is pretty locked up now.They have a couple months worth of work on me!(3 times a week)Just went to first appointment.I hope it works!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-09-2003, 11:22 PM   #3

Stacie212 HB User
Hey!
What do they do for you in physical therapy? I tried it once a few years ago but I don't think they knew what they were doing because I left there in agonizing pain. I have bad neck problems actually. I have a herniated disc in my neck, so that's probably making all of this a lot worse. I need to go to a competent physical therapist and get all this worked out. I can't even stand straight anymore. My shoulders have become permanently hunched forward. I cant' push them straight back, and my posture is a disaster. The dics is in my jaw is completely out of place so that must be what's throwing things off. These weird feelings in my head are really freaking me out. It feels like warm blood is moving, swirling in my head. I'm scared of physical therapists. i went for a long time to get my neck treated and the PT irritated my nerves. I must have some pinched nerves and when they started touching my neck and back I started getting horrible numbness in my right arm and tingling in my fingers. I couldn't write for a while, so I'm scared PT will start that up again. It's taken aobut 2 years for the nerve t settle down. I still get the tingling but it's not as often as it used to be. so I'm scared to open up that can of worms again. It's like a catch 22 and I don't know what to do!!

-Stacie

Old 05-10-2003, 04:59 PM   #4

amateurdoc HB User
Stacie,
My wife complained of a burning pain in her jaw forever, and we went from doctor to doctor trying to find the cause. Her latest doc, at a pain clinic, feels her problem is also related to the structures in her neck. Her cervical spine is straight, which is (according to him) due to the muscles being in spasm and pulling her head back, causing strain on her spine, and thus her nerves. He diagnosed her with occipital neuralgia and did botox injections on both sides of her head, hitting the areas where the occipital nerve exits the skull, and the corresponding muscles in those areas. Three weeks later, she is down to one bad day, six good (not perfect, but good), versus the opposite formerly. He also thinks she has an arthritic facet joint at C-2,3, and may do a cortisone injection there. She formerly had a facet joint inj. at C-3,4 which did not help. Physical therapy always made her feel worse. We went to three different PT's, and the cervical traction from one of them incapacitated her with pain. The burning pain in her jaw is lessened, but not gone. The headaches behind the eyes and into the back of the head are nearly gone.

So what I'm getting at is that yes, the problems in your neck may be causing the burning pain in your jaw, and the other problems in your head that you are feeling. She was referred to the pain clinic by a physiatrist, who performed the previous facet joint injection (as well as an epidural inj.).

The only problem with the botox is that she says her head feels heavy by the end of the day, and she can't arch her neck backward any more. The doc says the other muscles will take up the slack as they "realize" her neck needs help.

Best of luck!

Old 05-13-2003, 08:39 AM   #5

Joyce2 HB User
Question

I just had to ask if your wife had complained of muscle type spasms in her head, that is what I have been experiencing for two years now, just feels like my head is real tight in areas. I just rec'd botox injections a week ago, they said I would see if it had worked by now, well, I actually feel worse, I just can't believe it, I really had hoped I would see a difference, my jaw actually feels tighter. Can your wife relate to the spasms in my head, and where did they inject her at(?) mine was back of scull, around top of forehead, in both cheeks, and then my oral surgeon injected inside on both sides of my mouth in the back. Any response would be greatly appreciated, Joyce

Old 05-13-2003, 06:21 PM   #6

amateurdoc HB User
Joyce,
It took two weeks before my wife started seeing any help from the botox injections. They used one full vial. The needle was entered into the back of the skull at the top of the neck, off to one side. He pushed the needle in along the surface of the skin but into the muscle at the top of the neck, and injected approx. 1/6 of the vial, pulled the needle back halfway, injected another 1/6, then pulled the needle back again and injected another 1/6. He then repeated the procedure on the other side.
Since I last wrote, the pain in the back of the neck has somewhat returned, and her jaw pain has increased a little. She goes back next Tuesday for a facet joint injection at C-2,3.
Give the botox some more time to work. It will deaden your muscles. My wife had it done in her cheek/jaw last summer, and all it did was make her smile funny.

Closed Thread