It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2003, 11:31 AM   #1

sandra1 HB User
Question Has anyone worn a ******* device?

Hi there,

Has anyone ever worn or tried a tension suppression system device?

I would like to hear from someone who had the experience of wearing one.

Thanks,
Sandi

[This message has been edited by sandra1 (edited 05-08-2003).]

Old 05-08-2003, 06:05 PM   #2
(female)

Michelle99 HB User
Do you mean something like an NTI device? If that's what you mean, I've been using one since January 2002.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-08-2003, 06:51 PM   #3
Senior Veteran

TiffanyAnn HB User
Hi Sandra:
I did a search for tension suppression system device and from what I read it appears that this device is mainly for migraine headaches and not really for TMJ.
Tiffany

Old 05-08-2003, 07:06 PM   #4

sandra1 HB User
Michelle,

You said that you have been wearing a NTI device since 02? What's the reason for you to wear one? Can you explain to me about your experiance with it so far?

Thanks,
Sandi

Old 05-08-2003, 07:21 PM   #5

sandra1 HB User
Tiffany,

Ya, I have done research on the NTI and I know it's mainly for headaches rather than tmjd. I know it doesn't help those with joint problems, but may help those with muscle problem. The reason I am looking at this subject is I am trying to find other ways to reduce clenching other than wearing a bite plate at night. It's my understanding that this device will lower the clenching intensity. I have done alot of reading on this, so now I want to hear from other people what their experiences are with it.

My goal is to try to get rid of my splint and find something in place of it, if that is possible to do, I don't know.

Any other input would be appreicate. Thanks.

Sandi

Old 05-09-2003, 08:15 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

crystalll HB User
Smile

Hi Sandi,

My nightguard isn't an NTI, but it is quite similar to one. It only allows my front teeth to contact if I clench at night. It does help reduce clenching, but since my TMJD is structural, I still need to wear my daytime splint. I'm personally not a strong believer in the "typical" bite plates because they allow all of your teeth to contact, giving you an invitation to clench.

Hope this helps.

Crystal

Old 05-09-2003, 10:07 AM   #7

sandra1 HB User
Crystal,

Your information does help! Thanks. I totally agree with you that typical bite plates may not be the answer for long term tmjd. I am worried that wearing the bite plate may evenually takes it toll on my joints, or somehow might change my bite, after wearing it every single night for the past 8 years or so. That's why I am looking at something else. You said you don't have NTI, but something like it? Would you explain to me in more detail what this looks like? How long have you been wearing it at night? Would you clarify your tmjd condition...muscle or joint problem or both, for me? Also, look closely at your front bite plate, is it just covering only the front teeth, and not the canine teeth in any way(side teeth next to front teeth)?

I would love hear from you. Thanks again!

Sandi

[This message has been edited by sandra1 (edited 05-09-2003).]

Old 05-09-2003, 04:18 PM   #8
Senior Veteran

TiffanyAnn HB User
Hi Sandi:
Oh sorry. I guess I misunderstood what you were asking. I can totally understand what you are aiming for.
Tiffany

Old 05-09-2003, 04:37 PM   #9

sandra1 HB User
Talking

Tiffany,

Hi again. You said that you did some reading on the NTI device as well. So, you know that I am trying to find other ways than wearing a typical splint to reduce clenching at night, for long term.

I would like to ask you, what is your understanding of this device? Do you think it's possible the device may help me reduce the clencing at night, but it probably won't help my tmjd? My thinking is, if it works for me in the clenching area, and not harm my muscle or joint problems, maybe that might be in the right direction for me. Do you know what I mean?

I would like to hear from you. Have a good evening.

Sandi

Old 05-09-2003, 05:35 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

CherylLynn24 HB UserCherylLynn24 HB UserCherylLynn24 HB User
Sandi,

I asked my son's doctor about a month or so ago about NTI's. I did some reading on them at the time. He said he wouldn't use these on his patients due to some people choking on them in their sleep. After hearing that, I really haven't researched it that much. From what I understand though, some on this board have tried these, maybe you'll get some responses on their effectiveness.
Cheryl

[This message has been edited by CherylLynn24 (edited 10-30-2003).]

Old 05-09-2003, 06:06 PM   #11
(female)

Michelle99 HB User
Hi Sandra,

I am using my NTI for TMJ related pain, not for migraines. I had muscle pain on one side bad enough that it was difficult for me to think of much else, but not as bad as some people here have posted about. Basically, 800 mg of ibuprofen would do nothing for me though.

When I first got my NTI, I was hoping that I would be one of those overnight success stories, but it wasn't like that. I'd wake up in the morning feeling fine, but by 10 or 11, the pain was really bad. My dentist suggested that I pop it in during the day, but I couldn't stand to have it in. He decided to make me a daytime appliance which wouldn't keep my mouth open so far. It worked for a while, but now I'm at the point where it is better for me to pop in the nighttime version when I start to feel pain. No, it's not a good look, but it's better than taking drugs, and it really does help. My pain is almost always under control now.

As my muscles relaxed, my condyles moved into a more stable position. As a result my occlusion has changed. My bite is more open now. I considered orthodontics, but the orthodontist did not want to treat me without orthognathic surgery. Since my pain is controllable, I don't want to take the risk. My dentist said we can use porcelain to make my anterior teeth longer, improve function, and perhaps decrease my need for NTI use. I am thinking of going in that direction. If it doesn't help, at least I should get a really nice smile out of it

The NTI would fit snuggly on your front teeth and would snap into place. If it doesn't snap, or if you can remove it with your tongue with any amount of pressure, you need to stop wearing it and see your dentist for refitting. The NTI is FDA regulated, so if there were any cases of aspiration or choking, they would be documented. I feel safe wearing it, but it is a personal decision.

I hope this helps.

Michelle

Old 05-09-2003, 06:18 PM   #12

sandra1 HB User
Talking

Cheryl,

Thanks for your input. When you said that your Dr. told you that he wouldn't give to his patients the NTI device, I remember reading somewhere, that dentist won't give it to younger patients, for fear that they may choke on it Now, that's younger patients only...I think. Did your Dr. give you any more information regarding this device?

Thanks again and you have a pleasant evening.

Sandi

Old 05-09-2003, 06:23 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Michelle,

So there are no documented cases of aspiration with the NTI? I wonder if any children have tried this? Has it greatly helped you ?
Cheryl

Old 05-09-2003, 06:28 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sandi,

His doctor takes care of people of all ages. When I inquired about it, that's pretty much all he said. (he gave me a firm answer, too, like he was completely against them) You're raising my curiosity about this too!
Cheryl

[This message has been edited by CherylLynn24 (edited 10-30-2003).]

Old 05-09-2003, 06:38 PM   #15

sandra1 HB User
Wink

Michelle,

Your information is helpful to me. But, when you said that your muscles relaxed, your condyles moved into a more stable position. As a result your occlusion changed. So, you have a muscle and joint condition...what caused your tmjd?

Thank you so much again, it's something for me to look into it.

Sandi

Closed Thread