It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2003, 05:37 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

totallyconfused HB User
Question Question about tooth compression

I know we have talked about how long-term splint use can cause tooth compression. My question is-once the teeth are compressed if you have to continue to wear the splint at night will they ever erupt to their normal height again? IF the splint works and we are able to recapture the disc and allow the muscles and inflammation to settle down, my dentist plans to "wean" me off the splint slowly to only night-time use. At this point he isn't planning on changing the bite.

[This message has been edited by totallyconfused (edited 10-29-2003).]

Old 05-15-2003, 06:17 AM   #2
(female)

OHJELJ HB User
Hey Cathleen...my teeth were very compressed after wearing bad splints for over 2 years. I had to have full braces for two years following to pull my teeth up into the proper positions.

I had a special orthodontist that worked in conjunction with my OMFS and they were very conservative leaving me in my braces for six months at the end to make sure I had no movement or change when they were removed. The change was incredible!

My bite is still perfect seven years later and following my second surgery and my splint for grinding at night has shown very little change. My doctor says that's great since it's showing my joints are steady and my teeth are all even....

It's a pain, but they won't come back evenly on their own...hope this helped!
Jennifer

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-15-2003, 09:09 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

totallyconfused HB User
Smile

Thanks Jennifer for the reply. I was afraid that would be the case. I am hoping I won't have any tooth compression, but I really don't see how the teeth wouldn't compress at least a little over time. I am hopefully only to wear the splint for about 6 months and then slowly wean off to nightime use. However, it could be longer and if I have problems again I would probably have to go back to full-time use. I have only had my splint a little over a week, but so far I am just having more symptoms rather than less. The little bit of popping in my "good" joint is what really has me worried.

[This message has been edited by totallyconfused (edited 10-29-2003).]

Old 05-15-2003, 10:26 AM   #4
(female)

OHJELJ HB User
Hey Cathleen,
You'll have a bunch of different tweaks and pains for the first few weeks...but if it really hurts, call the doc and check...can't hurt! It will take a bit for your mouth to relax and accomodate the splint....

Good luck!
Jennifer

Closed Thread