It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2003, 05:43 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

totallyconfused HB User
Question Question for Cathyk

Cathyk,

Hi! Haven't heard from you in awhile. Hope you are doing ok.

[This message has been edited by totallyconfused (edited 10-29-2003).]

Old 05-15-2003, 12:21 PM   #2

cathyk HB User
Hi Cathleen - Unfortunately the only referral I know of is the one website you searched. I checked out the guy's website by you (the one who's not in your plan) and he seems like the kind of doc I like to go to! LOL It's a real bummer that there are many good doctors not in the plans - but it's really political when it comes to some, not all, of the insurance companies and how they want to run things.

Sorry I couldn't help you more with this one.....cathyk

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-15-2003, 12:28 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

totallyconfused HB User
Smile

Thanks Cathyk I appreciate it anyway. One more question if you don't mind. If I get some sort of adjustments for whichever body part from an osteopath, chiro, etc while I am using the splint--should I take the splint out for the adjustments (especially if it is on the neck or somewhere close to the TMJ). The reason I ask is because my dentist is not (at this point) planning on changing my bite to match the splint. The plan is for me to slowly wean off the splint and back to my regular bite.

I know I can ask my dentist and the other doctor, but I was curious as to what you would suggest.

Old 05-15-2003, 04:46 PM   #4

cathyk HB User
hi cathleen - my splint stays in my mouth 24/7, including getting adjustments, acupuncture, anything. It's like having actual teeth as it replaces the bottom teeth that were extracted, so it's in all the time. The only exception was when I use to get my jaw massaged internally (trigger points). Since she had to use pressure and get into the jaw area I removed it while she did that. I only get the trigger p's about once or twcie a week now - and can use my at-home TENS unit to zap 'em.

I thought I had the same splint as you but now I don't think I do - one day I'll ask "what kind" it is - probably when I get rid of it! LOL I guess it doesn't matter, it relaxes the jaw and it continues to do the trick.

Old 05-15-2003, 05:41 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

totallyconfused HB User
Cathyk,

We may still have the same type of splint. Mine is a neuromuscular splint that was made using the TENS machine also. The only difference is my dentist usually has his patients wean off the splint after their muscles have relaxed and possibly the disc is recaptured. He usually doesn't change the bite to match the jaw position the splint had it in. He weans you off to nighttime use only. I don't know how this keeps you from having problems again. If you start having symptoms again you go back on the splint full-time and he re-evaluates and decides where to go from there. Thanks for your help.

Closed Thread