It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2003, 11:43 AM   #1
(female)

lecach HB User
Post jaw was fine on vacation - now I am home and it hurts again

We went on a cruise last week and after the first day my jaw was fine. It didnt hurt although it wasnt 100% okay it was a lot better than usual. I ate hard rolls, filet mignon, chauteaubriand, etc.

Now that I am home and back at work it hurts again-I feel a lot of pressure and my ears are stopped up. I dont have a stressful job and I dont think I am talking that much more. Im just wondering if its something like the barometric pressure or something? I noticed while on the ship that my hands were swollen and I heard others say that on ships you get a lot of water weight. Wonder if that had anything to do with it? Any ideas anyone?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-20-2003, 04:08 PM   #2

mek918 HB User
I don't have much jaw pain, mostly neck/back/shoulder pain. When I was on vacation, I was 80% better. The minute I got back to work, it was all downhill. Do you sit at a computer all day? My dentist said that it does have a lot to do with positioning. Just being back in this position for 9 hours a day aggravates the condition. I don't have a stressful job either....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-21-2003, 05:57 AM   #3
(female)

lecach HB User
I do sit at a computer all day - I wondered if my posture had something to do with it. I go back to my TMJ doctor tomorrow to see what his recommendations are. He was baffled that my discs are out again - after having surgery a year ago to shove them back in - so he told me to go on vacation as planned and he would discuss my case with some of his colleagues to see what could be done. So when I see him I will probably ask him about it - I think our office will provide special chairs if its medically necessary.

Oh well - at least we both felt good on vacation. I was worried - the first day we were on the ship was one of my worst pain days. But I think it was just due to travel stress. The next day I was feeling great. Maybe it was the pina coladas? Ha ha.

Old 05-21-2003, 07:31 AM   #4

princessmom1 HB User
I thought I'd let you know about a conversation I had yesterday at the doctors. I mentioned that sitting in the wind at baseball games seems to make my jaw ache. He said that changing seasons could cause it also. And in Michigan sometimes seasons seem to change daily. I would think that changing climates could have the same effect.

I hope you start feeling better soon.

Old 05-21-2003, 08:41 AM   #5
(female)

lecach HB User
Thanks! I thought the climate could have something to do with it.

Im a little upset right now - my appt. for tomorrow was cancelled - Dr. has surgery. The next time they can get me in is June 1. I just feel like I have waited so long for some answers that waiting 11 more days just seems impossible. Its only been about 3 1/2 weeks since I saw the dr. but it seems like forever. We have so much on hold because of my jaw which makes it seem even worse. We've held off booking a trip for July, we're postponing our plan to try and get pregnant. Im tired of postponing my life for my darn jaw.

Old 05-21-2003, 08:43 AM   #6

mek918 HB User
You sound so much like me. I had an appt. last week that was canceled as well and I was thinking the same way. We had planned to start trying to get pregnant this month, but that's all on hold right now. I really want to try to get some resolution here first. Plus the doctor doesn't want to do the TENS stuff, etc. on someone in their first trimester.

Old 05-21-2003, 09:30 AM   #7

princessmom1 HB User
Wow -- they cancelled on you and can't see you for that long. I guess I'm lucky -- I've been going to see my doctor every 2 weeks, and when I had a problem with my splint they got me in the next day. Even at the doctor I was seeing before it took a long time for the first appointment, but after that I could always get an appointment within a few days if I called with a problem.

Old 05-21-2003, 09:34 AM   #8
(female)

lecach HB User
My dr. is the only oral surgeon in this part of the state that is covered under most insurance plans. Good thing I like him and trust him. The next closest one is in Charlotte. So he has a ton of patients. I only live about 20 minutes from his office - a lot of people are forced to drive 3-5 hours to see him. I know if it was an emergency he would fit me in. The week after my surgery we called about one of our concerns and he got me in that day. Im trying to tell myself that there are others that need him more and that if I needed emergency surgery he wouldnt let a few office visits stop him.

Old 05-21-2003, 10:27 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

PINKYPRISCILLA HB User
Posture plays a big part in the pain process. Tmj affects not only your face,but also your neck and back muscles. I noticed that I can't stay sitting for a long
time, try to get up and stretch more often.

Closed Thread