It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2003, 06:59 AM   #1

ohioan HB User
Post Practically pain free and loving it...

Has anyone else experienced a period of minimal pain for an extended period of time? I don't want to jinx myself but I have been virtually pain free for about 4-5 weeks now. I read somewhere that TMJD pain can come and go with no specific pattern, has anyone else found this to be the case? My symptoms started around Thanksgiving of last year and since then I HAD been having daily pain, ranging from mild to severe, until now. I have been having some occasional headaches but that's it. What do you think? Don't look a gift horse in the mouth??

ohioan

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-20-2003, 07:56 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

PINKYPRISCILLA HB User
Yes , the same thing happened to me . The pain
disappeared for a while then came back worse than ever.
If you don't take care of the problem to begin with, it
can reoccur, however, maybe not, we hope. In my case, I
needed to get help because of the reoccurance.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-20-2003, 10:08 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

shell389 HB User
Smile

ohian,

Just wondering what treatment you had for your TMJD up to this point that helped you get to this painfree time? Has anything changed in the last 4-5 weeks that would have helped you with the pain? I had times where I went for maybe 2 weeks with minimal pain but then as soon as my time of the month rolled around it would act up. I can usually see a cycle around that. Anyway, I was just curious. Thanks, Shell

Old 05-20-2003, 12:01 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

hbep HB Userhbep HB Userhbep HB User
Hi there,

I had what I now realise was probably my first bout of TMJD 4 yrs ago - cronic facial pain, phantom sinus paint (no infection) inflamed inner lining of nose probably due to decreased blood flow to the face. They never did work out at the time what was causing it. Anyway, after over a year the symptoms vanished. 4 yrs later I am ill again only with different symptoms - ears this time mostly. Only this time I have a diagnosis. Both times the symptoms were preceeded by periods of stress.

I do think sometimes, if you're lucky TMJD does just go away - guess it depends on a lot of factors. So far mine is muscular - must've been last time also. I'm guessing in my case, both times, the stress caused clenching/grinding, I guess with the removal of stress, and time to heal, the clenching could ease up and the aggravated muscles could calm down, and the tmjd could go. I am receiving treatment this time but obviously as I got rid of this once before (with no treatment as they didn't know what was wrong) I strongly hope it can go again.

Old 05-20-2003, 12:47 PM   #5

ohioan HB User
shell,

I haven't had any treatment for my TMJD other than muscle relaxants and pain meds. My father-in-law is a massage therapist and he worked on me a couple times. He showed my husband how to do the trigger point therapy and one night when I was in alot of pain, my husband did a little of this and from that point on I have had minimal pain.(He attributes this to having cured me with his magic fingers http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/rolleyes.gif but I say its purely coincidence.)LOL. Like I said, I have had a few headaches but nothing compared to the daily pain I was going through.(Still have the clicking in my jaw but have had that forever with no other symptoms) I don't understand it myself. It would be great if for some odd reason it did go away on its own. I'm not holding my breath about it but I'm certainly going to enjoy this reprieve for as long as I have it.

Take care, ohioan

P.S. Just got through with that time of the month and was fine, of course I never noticed my symptoms to be worse at that time either.

[This message has been edited by ohioan (edited 05-20-2003).]

[This message has been edited by ohioan (edited 05-20-2003).]

Old 05-20-2003, 04:04 PM   #6

mek918 HB User
Yes -

I always feel better in the summertime. Warm weather makes a big difference to me (my problems are all muscular). The minute it starts to get cold, or particularly rainy, the TMJ stuff acts up.

Old 05-20-2003, 07:23 PM   #7
(female)

Carina HB User
Some peoples TMJ may become healed by it self.

Old 05-20-2003, 07:48 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

shell389 HB User
Smile

ohian, Thanks for the reply. Just thought I would ask. That is great if the trigger point massage is what did the trick. I hope you stay pain free from here on out. Keep us posted. Take care, Shell

Old 05-21-2003, 10:49 AM   #9

ohioan HB User
Thanks Shell, that would be great. I always said if I ever did get rid of this that I would continue to post here so that others might benefit but if this does go away on its own I guess it would just be pure luck. Then again, it might just be playing a little trick on me and plans to return with a vengeance! Let's hope it's not the latter. I'll keep you posted. Take care, Ohioan

Closed Thread