It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2003, 10:36 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

CherylLynn24 HB UserCherylLynn24 HB UserCherylLynn24 HB User
Post Shell....update?

Michelle,

How's the splint working? Still having headaches?
Cheryl

Old 05-22-2003, 10:44 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

shell389 HB User
Smile

Hi Cheryl,

Thanks so much for asking how I am! Well, the splint does feel really good at night. But I do have a slight headache today and I can really feel my muscles tensing up again. Seems to happen as soon as I get off the flexeril. Just chewing food irritates them. I am hoping that once I get used to the splint at night and relax with it a bit more it will help with that tension feeling. I know I need to give it time.

How is Mike doing? And how about you? Are you feeling better from that virus? I hope so with the 3 day weekend coming up. Do you have any exciting plans? We are going to a picnic at my sister's on Monday but that is about it. My Mike is actually working on Monday morning for awhile. I am just hoping the weather gets better. We have cloudy, showers and about 60 here, how about you?

Well, take care and thanks so much for asking! Michelle

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-22-2003, 11:09 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

shell389 HB User
Cheryl, Sorry I didn't see your other post before I replied to this one. That is funny you are thinking about chiro. for Mike as I was just looking in the phone book today to see if any in our area list myofacial as a specialty.

I think it is a very good idea to talk to the other parents first before you take Mike to this Dr. If their kids had good results then maybe this is a way to really help Mike. Wish I could say more, but I have no experience with chiropractors other than the fact that my Grandmother (the one that is still living) used to see one every week for a neck treatment and swore by it. You know it is too funny, but after all these years of her saying she has felt dizzy and her head hasn't felt right I mentioned it may have been TMJD related. She had all her back teeth pulled pretty young and ate on the teeth she had all those years.(her bite is terrible) Everyone always thought she was making her problems up. Well, now I am beginning to wonder. Anyway, she always said she felt better after those chiropractor treatments. The only reason she doesn't go now is because she is afraid to leave the house much since my Pop died. She had the chiropractor come there a few times but I think he stopped making house calls.

Anyway, hopefully this will be a way to really help relieve some of Mike's pain. That lady sounds great too and very caring. This seems like a good thing to me! Take care, Michelle

Old 05-22-2003, 12:38 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Smile

Michelle,

Give the splint some time. Every time my son got a new splint, he said that it seemed to hurt, for 3 or 4 days. I checked with the doctor, and he said was normal, just getting used to it, I guess! It sounds like you may be just getting used to it, too. Give it through the weekend, and I'm sure that you'll see a difference. Are you taking advil or aleve or something for the headaches? Might want to try that, for the first few days.

This weekend, I think we're just going up to my Mom's on Monday for a barbeque. Probably see if there's anything that he wants to do. My husband took him to see the new Matrix movie the other night, and he really enjoyed it. He's nearly over this bug, but it's still got me. Starts out as a bad sore throat, then you get the sinus thing and horrible coughing. I've been dragging all week, feels like I have mono again!

The weather here is probably the same as yours. Yesterday we had the rain, and today the sun's out, but it's cool. It's supposed to rain nearly the whole weekend....great. It'll probably be nice next week when everyone's at school and work!

His last day of school is in May, and tonight we have to go to a 'Spanish Dinner' in the church hall. Yesterday evening, the kids all gathered at one of the teacher's homes and started cooking up this dinner, it's supposed to be for all the parents. (they just finished up learning Spanish for the year) It should be nice.

As for the chiro., I'm trying to get a hold of his pediatrician to get his opinion, but I think I'll go, just for a consult. I don't want anything drastic done to him. I don't seeing this as being a 'cure', but as helping the other therapies that he's already using. It seems as though, for some, that it's a combination of therapies that work. We'll see.

Your Grandmother sure sounds like she may have had a TMJD problem through the years. Makes you wonder how many people are out there, that do have TMJD symptoms, but never actually get a diagnosis. I bet there is alot.

Have you ever tried a masso? If your problem is all muscle related, which I believe that you had said that it was, maybe that would help you, too. The only reason that I say that, is because Flexeril gives you some relief, whereas he gets none from it. If he goes to masso., and gets even a little relief, maybe you'd get more. She's done myofacial pain release in the past, and he says that it feels AWESOME!!!!

Well, let me know how things are going, and give the splint a chance!!!!! Take Care,

Cheryl

[This message has been edited by CherylLynn24 (edited 10-31-2003).]

Old 05-22-2003, 01:17 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

shell389 HB User
Smile

Hi Cheryl,

That sounds good to go for the consult and take it from there with the chiropractor. I don't blame you at all for not wanting them to do anything too agressive. My old neighbor worked for a chiropractor and I remember when Emily was a baby and had terrible colic she kept trying to get me to bring her there. I never did take her. I was afraid they would hurt her since she was so tiny.

Sounds like a nice night for you at the Spanish dinner. I bet the kids will love to see their parents eating the things they made. Let me know how it goes. What did Mike help to make?

Your weekend sounds good too. I am hoping the rain clears out too. But it sounds like we are going to have it till Sunday anyway. That's right, you said your Mom lives right up the street right? My sister only lives 1/2 block up too. And my parents 1/2 block down. We can walk to the picnic if it gets nice out.

Well, I will keep you posted on the splint and you keep me posted too. I hope you feel better soon. Take care, Michelle

Old 05-22-2003, 01:33 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Smile

Michelle,

I'm afraid, like you said that you were with Emily, they're just kids. (chiro) I guess that I think back to the 'old' days when they'd be showing someone at the chiro. in a movie-jerking them around, cracking noises, etc.. I guess that I'm simple-minded. I do feel more comfortable at this time for a consult, then I'll have time to think it over, and do some research on all of it.

Spanish dinner? Think about that-a bunch of 8th graders making their parents a meal? I know I'm forever reminding my son to wash his hands....hehe. All he told me was he 'did something' with 80 lbs. of ground meat....one could only wonder!

Keep your fingers crossed that all this rain passes both of us by!

You have a good evening, and let me know how things are going for you. Take Care, Cheryl

[This message has been edited by CherylLynn24 (edited 10-31-2003).]

Closed Thread