It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2003, 07:53 PM   #1

sandra1 HB User
Question GenDen or KMX- questions about Functional Jaw orthodontics

To GenDen or KMX,

I have read some of your old posts regarding the functional jaw orthodontics/orthopedics...I have learned alot by researching on this topic. But I am wondering if either of you have any solid information about how successful this method of treatment is? What is the success rate for tmjd patients on this treatment?

I would love to hear from both of you.

Sandi

Old 05-22-2003, 08:55 PM   #2
Veteran

GenDen HB User
Sandra,

I cannot give you specific documentation. I also want to avoid violating the rules of this board. I believe I am within the guidelines with the following information. The dental journal that exclusively deals with research studies on Temperomandibular disorders is Cranio, The Journal of Craniomandibular Practice. They have a website where you can read abstracts on many studies regarding TMJD. You might find helpful information there.
The other site I can refer you to is The American Association for Functional Orthodontics. This is a .org site and I think that is okay to reference on this board. There is an email address on that site where you can ask questions. They should be able to reference any studies or statistical information on Functional Jaw Orthopedics/Orthodontists that is available. Hope this helps.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-23-2003, 08:31 AM   #3

sandra1 HB User
Talking

GenDen,

Your information is helpful. Thank you very much. I did view the information at the American Association for Functional Orthodontics before, but I didn't know about the email address where I can ask questions regarding this topic...I will look at that again. The Journal of Craniomandibular Practice is the one I haven't looked at yet...

Thanks again,

Sandi

Old 05-23-2003, 09:20 AM   #4
Senior Veteran

DianeTMJ HB User
Hello-
FJO takes the jaw,teeth,muscles all into consideration when correcting bites, not just about costmetic.
DIane

[This message has been edited by DianeTMJ (edited 10-26-2003).]

Old 05-23-2003, 11:06 AM   #5

Al4 HB User
Diane (DianeTMJ),

I hope the neuromuscular approach will eliminate your TMJ. I too am thinking of going west to Las Vegas to see a neuromuscular DDS. May be your general dentist is going to the same place. Their fees are huge though, and my expenses (on top of insurance) will be more than $6000.00! And to say that I have to go through all this when 6 months ago (before a DDS dislocated my jaw) I had no jaw symptoms, just ear symptoms which may not be TMJ-related! Good luck with your treatment, and let us know if it helps. If the neuromuscular approach truly finds the optimal lower jaw position where all muscles are relaxed, things should work well. Alex

Old 05-23-2003, 11:13 AM   #6

sandra1 HB User
Talking

Hi Diane,

Thank you so much for your response! I have a few questions to ask you, if you don't mind. What is your problem with your tmj? The orthic for your mouth...what splint is it? Do you have plans to evenually wear functional jaw braces?

The book you read on FJO seems interesting. I will see if I can find it.

I would love to hear from you again, thanks.

Sandi

Old 05-23-2003, 09:49 PM   #7
Senior Veteran

DianeTMJ HB User
HI Sandi-
Okay, I can open my mouth wide, but can not from side to side as the muscle on my cheek has atrphyed from the TMJ. My symptoms that started me on this nightmare going to many, many dentists, was: Tooth pain on the upper back teeth, sometimes migrating to the lower right back teeth and what I thought was swollen lymphs.
Once I was told I had TMJ everything else fell into line with other symptoms, I thought were other issues... stuffy feeling ears, RINGING in the ears, just awful, numbness running down my right jaw line to my lips, dizzeness, light headed, fatigue, headaches, headaches, sinus, shoulder/neck pain. I had no clicking in the jaw but kind of a crackling sound in my ears.
My orthoic is a clear hard acrylic, I can't wear though until he gets back and adjusts it for me. It is lower teeth and covers all teeth. I am to wear it 24/7 for 6 months. We have not even talked about braces at this point, I have alot of gum/bone loss and we are going to have to just take this a day at a time. He said I may just stay with the orthoic, we may decide some implants, he just wants me pain free and of course myself. What a kind man he is, what a concerned man he is. I also just got back from seeing my new chrio who works specifically with TMJ patients and she was GREAT! Let me know if you have any other questions!
take care
Diane

[This message has been edited by DianeTMJ (edited 10-26-2003).]

Old 05-24-2003, 05:41 AM   #8
Veteran

RobynRose HB User
Diane.. I just read your post - and was very interested that you said you thought your lymphnodes were swollen.

When I first presented with pain (jaw/neck/scapular) - I noticed a fullness above my right collarbone. I went to the ENT who told me my lymph nodes were swollen - sent me for a load of test. Bottom line, the MRI of my lympsh showed they were not swollen.

I still have this "fullness" ---and of course , all ehte awful pain. I wondered if you knew if this relates to the tmj....and why the area would get so puffy like this. I can see a huge difference between the right and left sides!!

Thanks loads, Robyn

Old 05-24-2003, 07:38 AM   #9
Senior Veteran

DianeTMJ HB User
Good morning Robyn
The reason my dentist gave me was because the muscles in the face & neck are not getting enough oxygen, thus causing a build up of toxins & lactic acid, causing the lymph to swell with the toxins. When he put me on this tens unit Robyn, the swelling went away within the first hour, beacause it is moving the muscles, which then provides the flow of oxygen to the muscle area and freeing the toxins.
I hope you are having a nice weekend, let me know if you have any other questions.
Later
Diane

Closed Thread