It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2003, 10:10 PM   #1
Senior Veteran

Arleen HB User
Question Is noise sensitivity part of TMJD?

Hi All:

I was just reading another post, and someone mentioned being bothered by flourescent lights and noise. This is the first I'd read about noise sensitivity relating to TMJ. It used to be that I wasn't aware of background noise and now I notice it alot and it bothers me. I just thought maybe that came with getting older and hormonal changes.

My house is by a main street. I've lived here on and off for years and never much noticed the noise of cars going by. Now I notice it alot. Does anyone else experience this?

Arleen

Old 05-23-2003, 11:02 PM   #2
katte 28

Unhappy

Arleen ,
Noise sensitivity is a part of TMJ because the TMJ's are so close to the ears. Continious traffic and sudden , unexpected noises drive me crazy ! The headaches can be so bad ! Oh , man , it's terrible ! You aren't alone , ...Oddly , exercising can sometimes take away my pain completely. Or at the very least, the headaches go away. Yes , there are days when I want total quiet and there are times when I want my bedroom curtains closed completely. I feel like my eyes and ears have gone arye ! I hope you feel better. Take Care.
Katte 28

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-24-2003, 02:05 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

hbep HB Userhbep HB Userhbep HB User
Arleen,

Yes, absolutely, it's called hyperacusis and or recruitment - it comes and goes with me, sometimes bad, sometimes ok. You can try wearing ear plugs in environments that are really noisy. The advice generally given out is not to protect your ears too much with ear plugs as this can make your ears more sensitive in the long run. Although ear plugs are advised for situations where people without these probs would also find noise too loud - for example the sound level in cinemas is generally too loud, and obviously noisy social environments with music etc...

I try to be simply be sensible about the ear plugs, if I am really suffering, then I use them, if things aren't too bad I don't. There have been discussions about this on this board before - try putting a few words in to the search engine -'ears' or 'hyperacusis' it will bring up the relevant posts.

Old 05-24-2003, 08:34 AM   #4
Senior Veteran

TiffanyAnn HB User
Hi Arleen:
Yes, being sensitive to noise is definately associated with TMJ. I never used to notice any background noises and a sound had to be pretty loud to annoy me but now I am bothered by sounds alot. I also used to never have sensitive eyes and now I have to wear sun glasses all the time because the least little bit of light makes my eyes hurt.
Tiffany

Old 05-24-2003, 08:52 AM   #5
Senior Veteran

DianeTMJ HB User
Good Loud noises like music, semis, or too many people talking forget it. That puts out almost any social situation at all. I also find that I can get very confused in a loud social situation and become very frustrated. My dentist said it is because of all the irriation right around the ear. Of course then there is the ringing in the ears.
All I ever want is quiet, simple peaceful quiet.
Later
Diane

[This message has been edited by DianeTMJ (edited 08-04-2003).]

[This message has been edited by DianeTMJ (edited 10-27-2003).]

Closed Thread