It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2003, 06:51 PM   #1

Stacie212 HB User
Question Splints - Ouch!!!!!!

Hi everyone,
I just got my new splint 2 days ago, and it hurts!! I don't know if this is normal or not or what to do. The dentist said it is normal to feel some discomfort at first, but I'm wondering if it is actually normal, and if it will get better. It is a hard acrylic splint, and I feel like when I close my mouth I bite down harder on it than I do on my teeth. What is the point of the splint? I really don't get it. And wouldn't a soft splint be better? That way the teeth could just rest. Everytime I put in the splint, it feels worse and my joint hurts more. I don't know what to do!!
I will appreciate any advice!!
Thanks,
-Stacie

Old 05-25-2003, 09:00 PM   #2

cindirella HB User
Hi: If you are talking about an acrylic splint that fits on either the bottom or top, it will feel tight at first almost like a retainer. I have had one for 2 years and I thought it was helping but it only works to stop grinding at night.........not if you have jaws out of alignment, etc. I am now on the next phase where it is getting worse so I have to be fitted for a bionator. The deal w/ the splint is it supposed to keep your jaw open a small bit so you can't bite down on your teeth whcih may or may not work depending on your problem....because face it, you're still biting down hard.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-25-2003, 09:33 PM   #3

Stacie212 HB User
Hey,
It's an acrylic splint for the bottom teeth, and yeah I don't really get what it does. My problem is that my discs are not in place. What is a bionator? I've never heard of that.

Old 05-26-2003, 06:42 AM   #4

cindirella HB User
A bionator realigns the jaw like an orthodontic appliance and supposedly it takes 9 mo. to a year. It almost looks like a retainer and has a wire across the bottom of your teeth and the roof of your mouth. It depends on the type of problem and severity as to what they do. If you just go to a regular dentist, he will in my experience only give you an acrylic splint unless he/she specializes in TMJ. Look up bionator on the web and it will give you more info.

Old 05-26-2003, 10:52 AM   #5

sandra1 HB User
Stacie,

If I were you, I will give the splint another week or so...and if you are still biting down harder than on your teeth and it still feels worse in the joint area, I would talk to the doctor again about it. A splint shouldn't hurt you more than you were before.

It's just my opinion, but when to comes to trying out splints, it should not cause more pain for you.

Sandi

Old 05-26-2003, 03:02 PM   #6

legsarebad HB User
When I first got my splints, I was constantly taking them in and out of my mouth because they hurt so bad. Eventually, the pain subsided. It does take some time, though.

Old 05-26-2003, 10:55 PM   #7

Stacie212 HB User
yeah thats what i keep doing - taking it in and out. but did the splint eventually help you?

Closed Thread