It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2003, 06:41 PM   #1

SRH_NF HB User
Post Development of symptoms

Hey, board:

This probably differs from person to person, but how long does it take for TMJ symptoms to jump from painless to painful? Also, how long would it take for arthritis or osteoporosis to develop in a TMJ patient?
I've only been experiencing mild symptoms since the fall, and no great pain yet, except for certain irritations. Thanks in advance for your responses.

------------------
Sheldon

Old 05-27-2003, 07:44 PM   #2
Veteran

GenDen HB User
Mild TMJ dysfunction may not develop any farther. In fact, it might get better. The key is an accurate diagnosis of the problem and what is causing it and making the corrections. It might be as simple as not biting fingernails, or chewing on pencils. It might be cradling the telephone between the ear and shoulder or any number of things. It also might be very complex. That is why an accurate diagnosis is necessary. It is much easier to reverse mild symptoms than severe symptoms.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-27-2003, 09:30 PM   #3

jbeau HB User
It is my experience that the syptoms do not jump, although trauma would cause a jump, I'm sure. After I had my first symptoms, clicking and dislocation of the jaw - it was about 4 years later when I became in constant pain. Although I have not been diagnosed with the arthritis, I believe that is what it has developed in to (due to the grinding and crunching noises). I feel that if I had taken my mouth more seriously years ago, I would not be in this mess of constant pain. Please take good care of yourself!

Jen

Old 05-28-2003, 04:07 PM   #4
Veteran

HRevero HB User
Talking

Hey Sheldon,
I have had tmj for 6 years and I was in pain but I was still able to function until Feb. of this year. That is when my jaw decided to lock up for no reason and still has not stopped doing that. In my opinion it seems to get worse if it doe not get treated correctly. I am now in severe pain which keeps me from doing a lot of things, for example working. Since I was not able to treat mine correctly I also now have joint issues. I think that each case is different. I personally had a lot of pain the second after I got injured on the roller coaster ride. Some others may not ever see pain as a symptom.
Heather

Old 05-29-2003, 07:29 AM   #5

SRH_NF HB User
Thanks for the responses, all. The reason my jaw joint is screwed up is because I had a habit of intentionally popping my jaw, like one pops one's knuckles, and I thought nothing of it until the mild symptoms began. I then looked up the problem and found out about 'tmj'.
My jaw hasn't cracked in three or fours days now, and there hasn't been any 'swishy' fluid noises in my joints. I hope this a sign of healing, but this is the way it has been since October...two or three days like that, then a 'crack', fluid and muscle twitches...

I just don't want to end up with severe pain, because I'm studying to become a professor and wouldn't want my occupation to be affected...

Any other advice or suggestions from you guys would be great. Thanks for the responses.

------------------
Sheldon

Closed Thread