It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2003, 07:49 PM   #1

cindirella HB User
Post Hi...I'm new

Hi:

I am new to the board and have tons to say but I will try to keep it short for now. I'm so glad this is available! Have had TMJ probably for 20 years but didn't know what it was, (which is crazy because I am a pharmaceutical researcher w/ a long time medical background).....mainly excruciating stabbing pains in the sides of my head. Found out 2 years ago that it was probably TMJ and have been wearing a nightguard ever since. To complicate things I had 2 rear end car accidents in one year and 2 years later had a 3 level cervical disk removal and fusion. Since the surgery 2 years ago I've had serious neck pain and trigger points in the back of my head and neck. Thinking the whole time it was a result of the surgery (I have a titanium plate there) due to shortening of the muscles, etc. I finally realized it is TMJ for sure and I need more than a mouth guard. I found a TMJ dentist in my area who is going to do tomograms next week and then a bionator if that's what I need. Has anyone heard of Dr. Walseth in CA...he apparently studied w/ Dr. Terry Spahl.

Thanks.

Old 05-26-2003, 04:47 PM   #2
Veteran

HRevero HB User
Talking

Hello!!!! Welcome to the board!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am in Long Beach but I am sorry I have not heard of either doctors you mentioned. Your body sounds broken like mine, I say we ask for a refund!!!!!!!!!
Heather

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-26-2003, 05:05 PM   #3

cindirella HB User
Cool

Thanks for the reply.....I have had some major problems and it gets really bad from time to time but I manage to work 50-60 hours a week including over 200 flights a year with my job so at least I'm able to do that. My neck pain gets worse when I fly.......the thing I get frustrated about is nobody knowing exactly what it is sometimes and I have multple things it could be!! I think you know what I'm saying.

Cindi

Old 05-27-2003, 04:40 PM   #4
Veteran

HRevero HB User
Talking

Hi Cindi!!!
Yeah, my mouth locks up A LOT! I decided to quit my job as a teacher assistant because of my many problems with tmj. I was trying to hold on to my job as long as I could, but how can I teach when I can't even talk. I thought it would be best for me, the kids, and also the school. It was sad, but for the best.
Heather

Old 05-27-2003, 09:42 PM   #5
Inactive

Elaine HB User
The C2 nerve is associated with uppermost part of the neck where the associated with TMJ and jaw pain.

Each nerve root in the neck has a neck joint or "facet" associated with it. In this case, the associated joint is the C1-C2 joint, which is actually more of a rotation joint than a true facet. When the neck joint gets irritated, it refers pain to the head.

The C3 nerve is associated with the C2-3 disc in the neck. Patients commonly complain of headaches and dizziness when this nerve is pinched or irritated. Problems with this area are frequently associated
TMJ and jaw pain. When the neck joint (facet) connected to this level gets irritated, it refers
pain to the upper neck, head, and base of the shoulder blade.

The C4 nerve is associated with the C3-C4 disc. Tingling in the back of the neck is a common symptom.

When the neck joint (facet) connected to this level gets irritated, it refers pain to the top of the neck, middle of the neck, and into the middle part of the upper back, just below the shoulder blade.

The C4-C5 level is in the middle part of the neck .Patients usually complain of shoulder weakness and having difficulty raising the arm over the head. When the neck joint (facet) connected to this level gets irritated, it refers pain to the lower neck and top of the shoulder.

Patients with a pinched C6 nerve in their neck often complain of weakness when holding things or when opening jars with a turning motion. This nerve is associated with the C5-C6 disc in the neck which is at
the level shown. This is the most commonly injured level in a rear end car accident. When the joint (facet) connected to this level gets irritated, it can refer aching, burning, or stabbing pain to the base of the neck (where neck and upper back meet) and or the top of the shoulder.

The C6-C7 level is in the lower part of the neck. When the neck joint (facet) connected to this level gets irritated, it refers pain to the upper back.

The C8-T1 level is at the very bottom of the neck almost where the upper back starts. When the neck joint (facet) connected to this level gets irritated, it refers pain to the upper back.

I thought this was very good information. Hope it helps.
Take care,
Elaine

Old 05-28-2003, 04:01 PM   #6
Veteran

HRevero HB User
Talking

Hey Elaine!!!!
What have you been up to??? How have you been feeling??? I thought you left us.
That is great information. I was wondering since it concerns all of the nerves does that mean that we have nerve damage? Also I was diagnosed recently from the orthopedic of having abnormal reflexes and also loss of sensation. I know this has to do with what you described but how serious is this? I keep being told that time is also not on my side when it comes to getting better since I have been like this for years. What do you think???
Heather

Old 05-28-2003, 09:50 PM   #7
Inactive

Elaine HB User
Heather,
I didn't leave but have been spending a lot of time with my mother as she is terminally ill.
I don't know if it necessarily means we have nerve damage but something is pinching the nerves. Depending on how bad it is pinched would depend on if it could be permanent. With my back, I had a EKG...I had a numb leg but it didn't show any nerve damage or anything for that matter, it came back normal.(Didn't even prove I had a numb leg) Tests for nothing..$$$$$$
When I had my first fusion, my left arm was numb after, for three solid months. I am talking dead numb, it was in a sling.They said this was caused from the Cervical vertebras and the way they laid me during surgery. I was scared to death that my arm and hand wouldn't get the feeling back. The doctor assured me it would saying it was a pinched nerve. Later I had a MRI, and I have a herniated disc in my neck at C5/C6 with a bone spur in the spinal canal. That was the cause of my arm going numb as it was pinching the nerves during surgery.
I don't know if I am making sense, my mind is shot with all that is/has been going on. Last couple of months has been nuts!!!! Not good for someone who is trying to recover from back surgery. Ugggh!! Good thing I am tough...
Take care,
Elaine

Old 05-30-2003, 01:49 AM   #8
Senior Veteran

Cymy Sue HB User
bump

Closed Thread