It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2003, 11:45 AM   #1

VincentA HB User
Post Close to a Diagnoses

Well I am very close to a diagnoses of TMJ. Believe it or not my GI doctor recommended that I see a dentist for the issues I am having. He noticed that my jaw was crooked and ask me if I had pain.

Well I seem to have a lot of TMJ symptoms, except one that doesn't seem to fit and I was wondering if any of you get a "jittery" or "shakey" kind of feeling. It is almost like something is pulsating through me. It is very uncomfortable. It may be due to the lightheadness I feel or maybe allergies (although I am on allergy medicine).
Anyway, anyone feel like this?

Old 05-28-2003, 03:50 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

TiffanyAnn HB User
Hi Vincent:
OMG, I didn't realize that anyone else got that shaky, jittery feeling. I have this alot and you are right, it is most uncomfortable. Sometimes I think I am going to go insane from it.
Tiffany

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-28-2003, 04:16 PM   #3
Veteran

HRevero HB User
Talking

Vincent I so happy to hear that you are closer to finding what is wrong with you. I am not happy that it has to be tmj, but I do know what it is like with unanswered questions. I have had so many doctors tell me that all it is, is stress. That I can't handle stress. I am still in shock that I actually have an answer, and of course it has to be something as complicated as tmj- it just figures. But now I know how to try to treat myself and not just get told it is the fact I can't handle stress.
Heather

Old 05-30-2003, 06:47 AM   #4

VincentA HB User
I agree. Although the news can may not be good, at least I know how to fight the battle. I have my frst appt. next Thursday.
The shakey feeling may be related to allergies though. Have you checked out that avenue yet?

Old 05-30-2003, 08:31 AM   #5
Senior Veteran

DianeTMJ HB User
Oh my gosh Vincent!
I blamed it on what I thought was "caffine" in Tylenol! It felt awful! Like when you are way to tired and drink 4 triple latta's trying to stay awake and you get the gitters! Oh my gosh! Well, just add that to the list then. You know what, this is like a scavenger hunt, hunting and seeking out each symptom and putting it on our list and becoming more empowered to win the battle.
Vincent, thank you so much for sharing. What are some of your other symptoms?
Just remember, you are finding out the tools that it will take to win this! This board, I have no idea where I would be without it. Thank you Vincent, I wish that the diagnoses would have been something kinder, easier to fix but at there is help out there
Later
Diane

Old 05-30-2003, 08:59 AM   #6

VincentA HB User
You asked....:-)

Ear aches in front of ears
headache
neckpain (deep pain)
lightheadness and waves of dizziness
jaw pain in front of ears
shakey or jittery feeling
muscle aches in thighs
facial/sinus pain
eyes/face feel puffy-flushed feeling
pain under chin on throat - glands
hard to swallow when I turn my head
teeth sensitivity (mainly to cold)
sensitive to sound - loud noises hurt
confusion, brain fog, hard to get my thoughts out
tingling up the left side of my head
Nausea (may be due to Crohns)

The pain seems to be worse in the afternoon.
The lightheadness/dizziness is all the time
Tylenol takes the edge off the pain, but does not eliminate it

Old 05-30-2003, 09:40 AM   #7
Senior Veteran

DianeTMJ HB User
Hi Vincent -
Here are mine - some of which are either gone or at least controllable. I am curious about the jitter stuff, have you ever tried going a day or so without the Tylenol to see what happens? The reason I say this is, it seemed as though the jitters were really noticeable when I took it, when I didn't, almost not there. Okay, here is my list, I noted which ones are gone and which ones are controlled at this point since starting to see my nueromuscular dentist and Chiro and using my tens unit that designed specifically for TMJ.
Here we go!

My symptoms are:
Fullness in right ear (gone)
Ringing in the ear (gone)
Pain in the ear(gone)
Pain, right side of my face, (controlled)
Numbness right side of face, running down jaw line to right corner of lip. (controlled)
Drooling (controlled)
Shoulder/neck pain
Dizziness(gone since chiro)
Vertigo – queasy stomach when that happens, not an upset stomach, just queasy. (gone since chiro) (says first rib was out)
Eye Pain (behind the eye, like being stabbed (gone)
Sensitive to light (controlled)
Sensitive to noise (controlled)
Droopy eye, right eye (still there but less)
Headaches, forehead, all over head (controlled)
What I thought were sinus headaches (gone)
Ghost tooth pain, back upper right, sometimes spreading to lower back teeth but not as strong. (gone)
Right lymph feeling swollen (controlled)
Crackling sound in ear (gone)
Crackling sound in neck (gone)
Watery eye – right one only (gone)
Blood shot eye, right one only (gone)
Problems with vision in right eye (gone)
Temple area pain. (controlled)
Soft food diet as eating hard things really irritates and makes symptoms worse ... still on soft food diet
Brain fog - (controlled)
rolled shoulders - (controlled - chiro adjustment)
Shakey/jitters - (gone)

The more I talk, the more I laugh, the worse it gets through the day on the ones that are (controlled). I then get on my tens unit for two hours and wake up feeling pretty dag gone good. I get my splint next week so hopefully the controlled stuff will then be put on the "gone" list! Both my nueromuscular dentist and CHiro are on vacation and I can not wait for them to get back, all refreshed and ready to put the finishing touches on my pain free life!
Thanks for sharing Vincent!
Later
Diane

Old 05-30-2003, 09:54 AM   #8

VincentA HB User
Wow, I have wondered about Tylenol also. It did seem that the jitters are worse for my when taking it. Because I have Crohns I have to be careful of what I take. It also seems that when I take Tylenol and DON'T take my allergy medicine it is worse.
I am not that familar with the tens unit; What is it?
Also if I understand you the tens unit and the chiro has helped alot. How are you controlling the other symptoms?

Old 05-30-2003, 10:19 AM   #9
Senior Veteran

DianeTMJ HB User
Hi Vincent-
Yep, when I stopped taking the Tylenol, the jitters almost unnoticable, weird huh? What got me to figure it out was when this one dentist prescribed me Fioricet. I took one dose of it and first of all I was looped, yep got rid of the pain but I as shaking so bad that I couldn't handle it. Got on line did a search on this drug and it had caffine in it. Then I thought maybe there was smaller doses of caffine in the Tylenol, so tried not taking that and the jitters got much better. By the way that Dentist got so ticked off at me for not taking the drug, he wouldn't see me anymore! He wouldn't return my calls, he was really mad! Oh well!
Okay, I am seeing a nueromuscular dentist and he put me on this tens unit that was designed specifically for tmj. I would say about 75% of my symptoms under the "gone" list are due to the tens unit. 75% of the "controlled" due to the tens and the rest gone & controlled by the Chiro.

[This message has been edited by DianeTMJ (edited 08-04-2003).]

Old 05-30-2003, 12:00 PM   #10

VincentA HB User
Thanks for the info about the unit.
I have my first appt. with a TMJ dentist next Thursday.
As you can see, I am just starting out on my diagnoses. I didn't know that Tylenol had caffeine in it.
Let me ask you something, do you ever feel lightheaded and dizzy WITHOUT pain? Like right now I don't have too much pain, but I am pretty "out of it". It is such a strange feeling.
Thanks

Old 05-30-2003, 12:06 PM   #11
Senior Veteran

DianeTMJ HB User
Hi Vincent -
Yep, I use to get dizzy, without pain. Each morning I would wake up and wonder, well what am i going to feel today? What is going to be out wack in my physical life. But once again, the treatment I have been has put almost all of that behind me.
The dizzy stuff just drove me nuts, well not as bad as ringing in the ears, THAT DROVE ME NUTS and made me wonder.... why did Vincent really cut off his ear?
Later
Diane

Old 05-30-2003, 12:15 PM   #12
Senior Veteran

DianeTMJ HB User
One other thing, I do not know if Tylenol has caffine in it, my body just responds to it like there is, lots of it.
Later
Diane

Old 05-30-2003, 01:24 PM   #13
Senior Veteran

Arleen HB User
Smile

Hi Vincent:

Welcome. I only found this board recently myself, and it's been the best thing for me. I was feeling so down in the dumps, crying myself to sleep some nights, and feeling completely hopeless. Although I have a couple of good friends who've been supportive, it's hard for others to relate unless they've experienced some of this themselves.

After a year and a half of not knowing what was wrong with me and hinking things would never improve, I found this board. The TMJD symptoms mentioned here just jumped out at me. It was like all the things I'd been experiencing finally had a name. I haven't been diagnosed yet with TMJD. I see my first TMJD dentist next week. I'm hoping he can help me.

I've been on all kind of drugs - none of which worked. My most recent dentist didn't like the idea of all the drugs and said if I had to be on something to take either tylenol or advil. Her prefrence is advil because tylenol is bad for the liver. I often have reactions to medications, and advil and tylenol are no exception.

I find it interesting that Diane thinks tylenol has caffeine or something similar in it. Tylenol makes me feel a bit lethargic, but at the same time, when I go off it, I feel really slow and out of it for a few days. So, so it could well have something caffeine-like in it. Advil, has the opposite effect. It really revs me up. After a few days on it, I'm a bit too revved up and have to stop.

Someone else on this board besides me is seeing Dr. Sigesmund soon - is that you?

Arleen

Old 05-30-2003, 02:22 PM   #14

Stacie212 HB User
Hi, I get the dizzy spells a lot. It has nothing at all to do with when I'm in pain or not. Suddenly I'm walking and the room starts spinning and goes black and if i don't close my eyes and grab onto something, I will fall down. I bought a tens unit a few years back from a doctor but it has never helped me. Maybe I don't know how to do it right when I do it at home but even at PT I didn't like it. I'm surprised to hear how much it helped your symptoms. Did you ever try ultrasound? I ilke that a lot better.

Old 05-30-2003, 02:27 PM   #15
Senior Veteran

DianeTMJ HB User
Hi Stacie-
What kind of tens unit is it? How many leads are there? (that is what you stick to your skin). I
know the dizziness was so frightening.
I have tried ultrasound but the chiro that I was seeing at first, her and I did not see eye to eye. So I stopped seeing her.
Take care
Diane

Closed Thread