It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2003, 11:14 AM   #1
(female)

Isew4work HB User
Post Dr. referral for Michigan

UPDATE QUESTIONS FOR SUSAN
A while ago I read a post that someone was seeing a Dr. in St. Clair Shores MI. If you are still reading on here, can you tell me the name of that Dr. and if you like him or not. I think I am going to go for another opinion abut my jaw. I was at the stage of refusing surgery because I was not feeling too bad. But I am tired of only opening 25 mm and I want to ask another Doc his opinion and explore some other avenues. Thanks,
Mary

[This message has been edited by Isew4work (edited 06-14-2003).]

Old 05-12-2003, 11:21 AM   #2

princessmom1 HB User
Hi Mary,

I'm sorry to hear you are getting worse again. I am seeing Dr D Gary Wolford in St. Clair Shores. He is on Greater Mack. So far I like him. And I know that this is a problem for most of us he bills under my medical insurance and they pay!

The first consultation appointment you make with hime takes about 1 1/2 to 2 hours. I also know that he talked to most of the doctors that have seen me or (at least in my opinion) contibuted to my problems.

Let me know if I can give you any additional information.

Sue

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-12-2003, 11:29 AM   #3
(female)

Isew4work HB User
Sue,
Thank you for a quick reply. I am just really at a loss for what to do. My insurance will not cover physical therapy unless it is billed as post operative. I would really like to not have surgery but my Dr. (Stuart Davidson) seems like he has done all that he can for me. He made me a splint almost 3 yrs ago but it has done nothing. I had arhtocentesis in November and it made me worse. I am pretty scared to have arthroscopic but that is what Dr. D and the oral surgeon think will fix the problem. I have heard too many bad stories. Is this guy a Dentist who has specialized in tmj? I have blue cross and a dental insurance through chrysler. Hope he will take it. I would like to maybe get my tomogram and other records from Dr. D's office sent over as to not have to pay for that again, (actually insurance covered it all 3 yrs ago.) Any other suggestions for this area would be much appreciated by anyone.
Thanks,
Mary

Old 05-13-2003, 11:30 AM   #4

princessmom1 HB User
Mary,

So far everything he has done has billed through my medical insurance. They told me that it was medical problem not dental. I have seen where my medical is paying. I do know that he does not use TMJ as a diagnosis, so that is mostly likely why insurance is willing to pay.

The only thing I will warn you about is that he has me coming to see him every 2 weeks. It is somewhat of a pain to drive there (I live and work in Southgate). I have only been seeing him for about 8 weeks, so I'm sure the frequency will change.

Well better get back to work.

Sue

Old 05-14-2003, 09:43 AM   #5
(female)

Isew4work HB User
Hi Sue,
I am really excited. I called Dr. Wolfords office and talked with the receptionist. I was completely honest with her as to what I have been through thus far and who I have been to for treatment. She told me that several of my Oral surgeons patients have been to see Dr. Wolford aftr their first surgery did not go well. She said that he is very much into the newest ways of treating (to include the newest device that goes on bottom teeth) and that he has only done a couple of surgeries this year, he has most of his success without surgery. Wow, I am hoping that he will have a non surgical approach for me! They are sending me out paperwork to fill out and I will call her Monday for an appointment. The office is closed today because he is at a seminar. Say a prayer for me guyes, I am hopeful again for the first time in a long time.
Mary

Old 05-16-2003, 05:23 AM   #6

princessmom1 HB User
Mary,

I'm glad you were pleased, his office staff seems very caring. Keep me posted on what you find out.

Sue

Old 06-14-2003, 07:35 PM   #7
(female)

Isew4work HB User
Susan,
How are you feeling? Are you still under his care? How often are you going to the Doctor now? Do you get the tens machine each time that you go? How bad did he tell you that you were? Sorry for the battery of questions, just wanted to compare. How is your splint working and so on. Thanks!

ps, he told me I had quite a severe problem. It seems like a birth defect to him, my upper jaw never developed. I have blue cross blue shield, wondering how they paid. Any info you would care to share would be most helpful. So far I love him! He seems nice and truly concerned. HOw did you find him? Thanks again for the refferral.
Mary

Old 06-15-2003, 12:26 AM   #8

Eric1 HB User
Hi I saw that you had such a limited opening I'm sure you've considered orthodontics. My pallette seems kind of narrow and I dont have enough room on the top. So I went looking for someone who did the Viazzi technique its called fastbraces. I have read many times now that it moves the teeth further and definitely faster than normal braces. I found an excellent place who really seemed to care and focus on their patients. I was almost ready to see them until I went with my doctor Dr. Wilco. Well, he has so much information at his website so that make me think he knows what he's talking about and he's one of the doctors who use these brackets. He really seems like he enjoys discussing tmj with his patients. He's in Noblesville Indiana and I looked it up on mapquest and it doesn't seem all that far you'd have let me know. He really understands how it affects your posture too and comments how his patients come to see him slouched with their heads down which I sometimes do with my shoulders rolled forward. He says by the time hes done they're straight and look great so you'll have to check it out. He really gets into detail about his procedures and he calls it full face functional orthodontics. I have read a ton of information on tmj and I'm convinced just like I've read that the majority of problems come from a bad bite. That is becoming more and more widely accepted. I guess he does all phases of treatment there too. Its called sonshinedental with an o. Maybe you can find the doctors name I couldnt seem to find it. Anyway hope you're feeling better, I've been kind of down lately but maybe this helps ya. Take care, Eric

[This message has been edited by Eric1 (edited 06-15-2003).]

Old 06-16-2003, 05:44 AM   #9

princessmom1 HB User
Hi Mary,

Yes, I am still seeing Dr. Wolford. I have more good days than bad. He told me one side of my jaw is longer than the other and that he had to try and find a confortable position. I am still going every 2 weeks, but I think after tomorrow he is going to change it to every 4 weeks, since he is finding less need for change on my splint.

I have only been put on the tens unit once. Is he having you come back to be put on it again?

It seems like I'm going out there all the time, but I also want to make sure every is straight and not going to cause me more problems. I was told that one side of my jaw is longer than the other. He is watching to make sure that it is no longer growing (apparently we all go through growing stages even as adults, and one side seemed to have grown more that the other). I am trying to be patient.

Last week I did something really stupid, I fell asleep one night without putting my splint in. I paid for that for about 3 days. I hope all goes well for you, and let know about your progress.

Sue

Oh I almost forgot the insurance question, so far everything has been billed to my medical insurance (PPOM) and they paid all but the $10 office call copay. I don't think he charges for the splint adjustments.

[This message has been edited by princessmom1 (edited 06-16-2003).]

Old 06-16-2003, 06:14 AM   #10
(female)

Isew4work HB User
Sue,
In the post about FDA meeting by Robynrose, there is a large segment by Dr. Wolford mapping out his process in treating us.

Thank you for answering my questions. I feel very comfortable with him and his process. Does he feel you will need braces? I guess my upper jaw is smaller than my lower jaw causing my disfunction. Did I tell you that? Sorry If I am repeating myself. Thanks,
Mary

ps, I get this fear that I will follow the wrong Dr.s advise again and make myself even worse. That is what happened the first time. But he seems so kind and well studied, I have to trust him over my own knowledge, and I just really like how he makes sense.

Old 06-16-2003, 10:11 AM   #11

princessmom1 HB User
Mary,

I know I was very lucky, because I went from 3 doctors (dentists and endo), to a OS who tried to fix me, but after 4-6 months when it didn't seem to be helping sending me to Dr. Wolford. Apparently the other oral surgeon knew him from when he went to dental school and told me he taught him everything he knew. And the other OS admitted he didn't have the equipment to fix what was wrong and didn't just keep me hanging on to hope with him.

I haven't been told that I need braces yet, but my bad bite problems have been caused mostly by jaw being lopsided, if anything I have an overbite. I kinda hope not, since I already have 1 of my kids in braces and another that the orthodontist is waiting for his permanent teeth to come in. The third one got his braces off in December. It may break me!

Well better get back to work since I have to leave early to take one of my kids back to the dentist. He had a filling done last week and it doesn;t seem right, so I have to make sure it's fixed right before we go to the ortho on Friday.

Sue

Old 06-16-2003, 05:57 PM   #12

laurajim77 HB User
Seems like you're pretty happy with the dr. you've chosen, just wanted to put a plug in for a dr. i saw a few years back, i had problems with tmj for about 16 years and while i likely didn't have a severe case, i had the usual symptoms, jaw poping, unable to open my mouth very wide and at times unable to close it again without severe pain. i saw dr. yapa at henry ford hospital in detroit, he prepared a mouthpiece for me and i used it for about 6 months at night(til my dog ate it). i haven't had any pain from tmj in about 7 years, i wouldn't hesitate to recommend him. hope all goes well with your therapy

Closed Thread