It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2003, 02:33 PM   #31
Veteran
(female)

TC543 HB User
Smile

Hi Navy,

Thank you so much for the information. I already have another appt with the "other" guy on Monday. I will ask for x-rays and mention the spinal stenosis--it is what I had been worried about, but couldn't remember the name. I guess I will just have to say that, while I don't want any more radiation than necessary, I will not be adjusted without x-rays first. I am going to tell this guy I want an evaluation of overall alignment too. I told the other guy, but he just dismissed it and said that the back couldn't effect the jaw and vice-versa. Chiros DO do the overall alignment thing, don't they? This is the whole reason my doctor sent me. It sounds like your Chiro is so wonderful. I wish I could go to him. Does he know of anyone (not his patients I'm sure) that has had a stroke of other problems after having a neck adjustment? I know it HAS happened. I just don't want to be the 1 in 500,000 or whatever.

I hope your son feels better. Take care of yourself.

TC

Old 07-11-2003, 04:50 PM   #32

RobynRose HB User
Hi TC..
I agree with Navy in that if you are going to embark on chiropractic treatment.... be very selective. There are too many in this field that are running a mill - you do not want this. If you can't find the right fit with these chiros - another thing you can consider is a physical therapist who practices MANNUAL THERAPY. These guys have an osteopathic orientation and do know a lot about alignment and even do mannual adjusments. It's not the pt who puts you on heat, ice and tells you to walk on the treadmill. It's a one on one appointment -usually 45 minutes long... they do soft tissue massage (or myofacial release) - and then check your alignment. Now a good chiro will do this as well. I have been to both pts and chiros who understand the concept of alignment - and the whole body. As I've said, unfortunately - I'm so damn loose that I don't hold the adjustments -- but I've experienced them - and they are amazing. You will likely hold your adjustments and do well. I wish you lived here... and I could help guide you this way. Today's 10 minute appointment with the chiro was an insult. I really didn't want to be that harsh before --- but you do deserve better. One thing you could ask when you are calling chiros is if they are familiar with Janet Travels work (myofacial pain and trigger points) - the ones that are, would most likely not be the 3 second crack - your done type.

Hope some of that was helpful... hang in there --- we will figure this out!! I'll be sure to squeak in as many questions as I can tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes!

http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/heart.gif RobynR

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-11-2003, 05:00 PM   #33
Inactive

navy2 HB User
Hi TC!

That scare has been around for years. Chances of that happening are very very far in between. I've had surgeons tell me that Chiropractic wouldn't be beneficial to me ...some even tried to scare me. I don't think they like to advocate anything but surgery. Well, I was in pretty bad shape 9 years ago, when they wanted to do surgery ...and 9 years later, I haven't had surgery and I'm moving my neck fine, and painfree. The crackling only started about 6 months ago ...and I'm convinced ir's related to the TMJ and muscle spasms. There is no arthritis showing up on my neck x-rays. A good chiropractor will do a complete exam and x-rays and medical history before starting any type of treatment. They want to know exactly what your concerns are and health condition. They will be careful with your adjustments if you are prone to ligament problems. There are many ways to adjust or treat you.
Take care!
Navy

[This message has been edited by navy2 (edited 07-12-2003).]

Old 07-11-2003, 05:12 PM   #34
Inactive

navy2 HB User
Hi TC!

What RobynRose said is right. There are really good PT's that do manual therapy, myofacial release, and trigger point therapy. as well as massage and hands on work on your neck (for the crackling too). I've had all of that at one time or another ...and more. Also, if you can find a PT facility with a pool ...It is much easier on the joints to do the exercises in the water ...Noooo not the jaw exercises though ...LOL ..Just the ones for your spine, etc.

I guess I've been fortunate to always go to PT's that are top notch and have really great training in all areas. I guess the main thing to remember is to call and ask questions before you go to the appointment and open your pocket book.

Good luck with your appointment on Monday. If you can. call them first and ask questions about the consultation/exam. You sure don't want to get into another 10 minutes and your done situation!

Hugs!
Navy

Old 07-11-2003, 08:05 PM   #35
Veteran
(female)

TC543 HB User
Smile

Thanks RobynR and Navy!!

I really do appreciate your understanding and advice. Navy, you can edit that other post if it makes you feel more comfortable. I will check that out. Take care ladies and feel better fast!! That last sounded kinda like a commercial didn't it. Sorry!!

((((((RobynR)))))) ((((((Navy))))))

Have a good night!
TC

Old 07-12-2003, 11:56 AM   #36

QA11 HB User
Totally Confused,
If you need a third opinion, STeve Kraus at Physiotherapist Assoc. is well thought of in the "pain" community of docs. He is well versed in TMD and may have some connections to Shepherd Spinal Clinic (not positive about this). He is a physical therapist., does TENS, some trigger point and the rehab type of work. If it helps to have another option, consider him. My best.

QA11

Old 07-12-2003, 12:23 PM   #37
Inactive

navy2 HB User
Hi TC!

Yes, since you have the information ...I did edit. Oh, and if you would be so kind as to edit that name I signed off on that time (that you posted to later), I'd appreciate that. I edited my error.

Navy

[This message has been edited by navy2 (edited 07-12-2003).]

Old 07-12-2003, 12:28 PM   #38
Veteran
(female)

TC543 HB User
Smile

Navy,

Hi!! I thought I edited that out that same day. Let me know if it is still there and "where it is". I just can't keep up anymore. I remember removing it, though, as soon as I thought it was an error.

Take care,
TC

Old 07-12-2003, 12:30 PM   #39
Veteran
(female)

TC543 HB User
Smile

QA11,

Thanks for the info. I am not in Georgia, but will keep him in mind in case I need to ask for a referral of some sort. Thanks. Hope you are having a good day.

TC

Last edited by Administrator; 10-01-2014 at 09:46 AM.

Old 07-12-2003, 08:00 PM   #40
Veteran
(female)

TC543 HB User
Hi everyone,

I just got my report from the first Chiro. In it he says that I have lateral deviation of the mandible on opening and closing. My dentist says I don't and I don't see it. The man didn't even look at me while I was opening and closing. He had me open and close and he just felt my joints (not too gently I might add) from behind. Can someone tell if you have deviation only by feeling the joints from behind?

Thanks,
TC

Old 07-14-2003, 12:05 PM   #41

jafc HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by amateurdoc:
...From what I understand, the TENS does not "relax" your muscles as I think of the word relax. It fatigues them by making them constantly contract. That may be why it is uncomfortable to some folks who are already having problems in that area. It is like weight-lifting. After numerous repetitions bench-pressing, your arms will feel dead, like they can't lift a beer bottle to your lips (but they still do). Your arms aren't relaxed--they-re just beat. Thus, a dentist will take readings at this point, since the jaw muscles cannot exert any influence on the jaw joint, and this position is supposedly where the jaw wants to be....

Dan
Hi Dan,

I'm very interested in your take on the TENS machine's role in neuromuscular dentistry. If you have seen some of my other posts, you may recall that in two months of wearing my neuromuscular splint (+ chiropractic), I have had significant relief of the moderate TMJD symptoms I've had for 14 years.

I do completely agree with your analysis of how the TENS works. It reminded me of a physical therapist I used to see who would lean on the muscle spasm trigger points in my trapezius muscles with her elbows. She told me that she was depriving the spasming tissue of oxygen forcing the spasm to "quit." Perhaps in order to get muscles to relax, you have to use some otherwise overbearing-seeming techniques.

Does anyone, especially anyone who might have any additional knowledge about or training in muscle function, have anything to add about how to encourage (or force) spasming muscles to "relax" without using medication?

------------------
Judy

[This message has been edited by jafc (edited 07-14-2003).]

[This message has been edited by jafc (edited 07-14-2003).]

Old 07-14-2003, 01:51 PM   #42

RobynRose HB User
Hi Judy,
What your pt was describing is right in line with the field of myofacial release through trigger point therapy. This is all the work of 2 physician onewho passed away recently named Janet Travell - and David Simons. Her medical text is entitled "Myofascial Pain and Dysfunction, The Trigger Point Mannual." There are 2 volumes to this text - one for the upper half of the body, and one for the lower. If you have access to a medical school library, you'd probably be facinated by looking at these (I own them but they cost a fortune so the library might be a better bet.)

A good physiatrist ( a physician trained in physical medicine) would be the best place to start in terms of treatment for these tps...

I'll quote a few pieces from the glossary in the text - just to share some more info on this topic,

The clinical definition of a trigger point:

A hyperirritable spot in skeletal muscle that is associated with a hypersensitive palpable nodule in a taut band. The spot is painful on compression and can give rise to characteristic referred pain, refeerred tenderness, motor dysfunction and autonomic phyenomena. Types of myofacial trigger points include: active, associated, attachment, central, key, latent, primary and satellite.

Myofascial Trigger Point (etiological definition of a central trigger point:

A cluster of electrically active loci each of which is associated with a contraction knot and a dysfunctional motor endplate in skeletal muscle

Trigger Point Pressure Release (or Ischemic Compression):

Application of slowly increasing nonpainful pressure over a trigger pint until a barrier of tissue resistance is encountered. Contact is then maintainedd until the tissue barrier releases and pressure is increased to reach a new barrier to eliminate the trigger point tension and tenderness.

Hope some of that was helpful!
RobynR

Old 07-14-2003, 01:52 PM   #43

RobynRose HB User
Hi Judy,
What your pt was describing is right in line with the field of myofacial release through trigger point therapy. This is all the work of 2 physician onewho passed away recently named Janet Travell - and David Simons. Her medical text is entitled "Myofascial Pain and Dysfunction, The Trigger Point Mannual." There are 2 volumes to this text - one for the upper half of the body, and one for the lower. If you have access to a medical school library, you'd probably be facinated by looking at these (I own them but they cost a fortune so the library might be a better bet.)

A good physiatrist ( a physician trained in physical medicine) would be the best place to start in terms of treatment for these tps...

I'll quote a few pieces from the glossary in the text - just to share some more info on this topic,

The clinical definition of a trigger point:

A hyperirritable spot in skeletal muscle that is associated with a hypersensitive palpable nodule in a taut band. The spot is painful on compression and can give rise to characteristic referred pain, refeerred tenderness, motor dysfunction and autonomic phyenomena. Types of myofacial trigger points include: active, associated, attachment, central, key, latent, primary and satellite.

Myofascial Trigger Point (etiological definition of a central trigger point:

A cluster of electrically active loci each of which is associated with a contraction knot and a dysfunctional motor endplate in skeletal muscle

Trigger Point Pressure Release (or Ischemic Compression):

Application of slowly increasing nonpainful pressure over a trigger pint until a barrier of tissue resistance is encountered. Contact is then maintainedd until the tissue barrier releases and pressure is increased to reach a new barrier to eliminate the trigger point tension and tenderness.

Hope some of that was helpful!
RobynR

Old 07-14-2003, 02:51 PM   #44
Veteran
(female)

TC543 HB User
Hi everyone,

I wrote a little about my last Chiro appt under Diane's thread. I probably shouldn't have, as I didn't mean to take away from her concerns or change the subject from her post. http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/redface.gif I go back tomorrow morning to get a report and results of the x-rays. He seemed to find quite a few things. We'll see what happens.

Take care all of you,
TC

Last edited by Administrator; 10-01-2014 at 09:45 AM.

Old 07-14-2003, 06:18 PM   #45

jafc HB User
Thanks RobynR,

Something I definitely want to know more about. I put the Trigger Point Therapy Workbook on my amazon wish list and my birthday is coming up so hopefully someone will buy it for me . Did you originally mention that book on this board?

TC, I haven't read the post you mentioned after mine but I so wish I could pack up my chiro and overnight mail him to you (my dentist too)!

------------------
Judy

Closed Thread