It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2003, 07:42 PM   #1
Senior Veteran

Ouch-ear-pain HB User
Question DOES CLICKING = BAD?

MY JAW CLICKS SOMETIMES WHEN I CHEW CHEWY FOODS AND STUFF BUT IS THAT BAD? I AM GOING TO HAVE AN X-RAY OF MY JAW THIS WEEKEND BUT IS THIS BAD? PLEASE HELP

Old 09-04-2003, 07:50 PM   #2
Inactive

Puzzled HB User
Hi, You really should not be chewing any chewy food right now - that is not good for TMJ. Try to stick to softer foods.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-05-2003, 05:18 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

saaraah HB User
chewing chewy food is definitely a bad idea.. it'll end up costing you more pain and problems. try to stick to softer food that's gentler for your jaw.

i know it sucks to give up certain foods, but it's got to be done.. at least for a little while.

take care,

- saaraah.

Old 09-05-2003, 05:30 AM   #4
(female)

OHJELJ HB User
Clicking doesn't have to mean bad....it means your jaw clicks! If it hurts, then there's a problem. My father's jaw is so loud, that when he chews you can hear him upstairs! He has NO pain at all and no problems with it! Lots of people live with a click when they chew and never have a problem....don't psyche yourself into having a problem!

Best of luck!
Jennifer

Old 09-05-2003, 06:49 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

saaraah HB User
oh yah, i forgot to add something.. if you dont have pain along with the clicking, i wouldnt worry very much. but if you already have other TMJD symptoms, i'd be slightly worried.

you know how some people's knees pop when you go up and down stairs? the jaw can do that, too. ie, clicking doesnt always mean it's TMJD or that it's bad.

- saaraah.

Old 09-05-2003, 05:39 PM   #6
Senior Veteran

TiffanyAnn HB User
Hi:
Unless you have pain along with the clicking then you may not have a problem. In my research I have learned that many people have TMJ but never have any symptoms or pain. I guess it all depends on the person. My guess is personality types has alot to do with who's TMJ gets worse to some degree. I am a very nervous person and my guess it that my nervousness adds to my TMJ problems. I grind alot and that doesn't help. Just my personal thoughts on the subject. The MRI will give you alot of answers.
Tiffany

Old 09-06-2003, 10:33 AM   #7
Senior Veteran

Ouch-ear-pain HB User
When my jaw clicks it just feels uncomfortable. I hate it though. And my jaw always locks up. Every day almost. I need to get a splint made. Sometimes it will hurt and other times no. This is why TMJ is so confusing.

Closed Thread