It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2003, 10:37 AM   #1

mosh22 HB User
Unhappy Neck & Shoulder Pain

Hello- I am new to this board and have been reading past posts, however, I can't find any that answer my question- Does anyone get neck/shoulder/back pain from this? I am trying to determine whether I have a flu, or if it is from the TMJ. I have pain at the base of my skull, but it also goes into my neck & shoulders (and starting to go down my back), but I also feel a bit feverish & I'm wondering if anyone has had these kind of symptoms. thanks!

Old 09-07-2003, 11:32 AM   #2

StylophonePet HB User
There's an interesting post called "symptoms of tmj" by marleen
I think back/shoulder & neck pain was one of the symptoms. But remember it's not a standalone diagnosis of tmj
Take care

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-07-2003, 06:10 PM   #3
Senior Veteran

TiffanyAnn HB User
Hi Mosh:
Yes neck, shoulder, and back pain are common in those with TMJ. I personally have problems with all three and I know that many others on this board do as well.
Tiffany

Old 09-07-2003, 06:58 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

saaraah HB User
i definitely have neck and shoulder pain, but i dont really have much [if any] back pain. i think that my neck pain is probably related to my poor posture.

i find that when my masseter muscle [on the right side] gets sore, my SCM follows suit and vice versa.

if you're having a fever with the pain, tho, perhaps it is the flu... wait a couple of days and see how you're feeling, and if you're still worried, i'd see a doctor.

- saaraah.

[This message has been edited by saaraah (edited 09-07-2003).]

Old 09-08-2003, 01:16 AM   #5
Senior Veteran

Cymy Sue HB User
Hi mosh & Welcome to our group,

These are symtoms of TMJD, but as the others have said, could be caused by other problems. Sometimes, tension and stress can cause terrible pain in these areas.

I had neck, shoulder and upper back pain for many years. (diagnosed with TMJD 26 years ago)

I was told over the years by orthopedic's, rheumatologists, neurologists and many others, it was Fibromyalgia. The first time was so long ago, they called it Fibrositis. I never believed it was Fibro, because I didn't fit the criteria. It was all on one side and I didn't have the other sore trigger points.
I was diagnosed with this back in the 80's and found that anti-inflammatories, muscle relaxants, sleep meds nor any other type of medicine would help.

After many years I saw a PT who told me it was more likely associated with the TMJD.

I tried all kinds of medications, a few weeks of PT with meds many times, Chiro, exercise and everything else you can imagine.

Getting any real help with the TMJD seemed pretty hopeless, so I consentrated on getting relief from as many symtoms as I could.

I started seeing a Theraputic Massage Therapist about 4 years ago. It took a while, but she did get the upper back, shoulder and neck pain completetly relieved. It was caused by muscles that had been knotted up and spasming for years. It took probably about a year of seeing her once a week to get this problem completely controlled. I know this sounds like a long time, but it was worth it.

She also worked on the muscular problems in my face and head, so I continued to see her on a regular basis.
She did more for me in 4 years regarding these painful problems than had been done in the previous 20.

I am now in a splint that has almost done away with the TMJD pain and symtoms. (It was not hopeless)

I still see her occasionally if I feel that I'm getting tense or stressed to avoid ever getting back in that condition.

Sometimes people with TMJD will experience a low grade fever, usually the cause is never determined.
Sometimes it's due to inflammed joints.

Anytime you have a fever and pain, you need to see a Doctor. There could be many different reasons for this.

Have you been diagnosed with TMJD? It looks like from your post, you have. If so, I hope you are getting treatment. I would still have a Doc. check out the fever and discuss the neck, shoulder and back pain.

Sometimes those who treat TMJD do not connect all of the symtoms. Also, we do not need to assume that new symtoms are TMJD related until a Doctor checks it out.

I've made this mistake many times and found out later, it was something that needed treating or could be helped.

Take care and I'll bump up the list of symtoms Marlene has posted if no one else has. It helps a lot to know all of the symtoms that TMJ problems can cause.

Cymy Sue

[This message has been edited by Cymy Sue (edited 09-08-2003).]

Old 09-08-2003, 04:48 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

paxy HB User
what does PT stand for?

Old 09-08-2003, 05:12 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

saaraah HB User
paxy - PT stands for physical therapy

- saaraah.

Old 09-08-2003, 10:08 AM   #8

mosh22 HB User
I wanted to thank everyone for their replies! And the list of symptoms helped me too. I have been diagnosed, however, I have only had a night gaurd, never a splint or anything like that. I was diagnosed about 8 months ago when I was having a horrible ear pain that I thought was an infection; couldn't open my mouth, chew, etc. and it was one of the most painful things I've ever had. It was then that my boyfriend told me "oh, you grind your teeth at night- it wakes me up a lot"... thanks for telling me! So my dentist made up a guard & it had been fine for a while, until this head/neck/shoulder pain. Does this happen to others? Everything is fine & then WHAM! out of nowhere things get really bad?
thanks again for listening & responding!

Closed Thread