It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2003, 01:02 PM   #1

lashby HB User
Post Fullness of Ears? Treatment?

Does anyone suffer from a fullness or popping of one or both ears due to TMJ? If so, do you know if there is any form of effective treatment available?

Thanks!

Old 09-08-2003, 01:07 PM   #2
(female)

OHJELJ HB User
Yep...I have this quite often and it seems to be one of my only lingering symptoms. It's caused by a muscle spasm that conects to your ear area...I'm not a technical expert...I do know that if you stretch out your neck like a giraffe, long as you can it will help some of the fullness....my PT can usually get rid of the feeling. Sometimes I'll take a decongestant and that helps a little too...

Good luck!
Jennifer

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-08-2003, 01:49 PM   #3
Senior Veteran

Cymy Sue HB User
Hi lashby,

Many members have reported ear fullness, popping and all kinds of noises and sensations. There are a list of symtoms by Marlene and I also bumped up a thread where Marlene and others have explained and discussed this problem. Topic: "Anyone have this?"

There are many dicussions on this subject.
If you are not familiar with the search feature, it's at the top right of the page. Click on it and you can type in any word or phrase and all threads with this subject will be brought up.

Also, be sure and check out "Symtoms of TMJ". This list is always helpful.

Several members are now or have been in splint therapy. Reports vary on symtom improvement. We have a couple of successes and they have finished their treatment. Several others, (including me), are currently in splint therapy. I have had remarkable results in a few months.

It does seem that with most of us, the ear problems are the last to go.

As far as other treatments, I don't know. I've tried pretty much everything over the last 26 years, including several sugeries. My current splint therapy is the first relief of symtoms I've had.

Take Care,
Cymy Sue

[This message has been edited by Cymy Sue (edited 09-08-2003).]

[This message has been edited by Cymy Sue (edited 09-08-2003).]

Old 09-08-2003, 01:55 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

PINKYPRISCILLA HB User
yes, this is a symptom which I have had also
I also would get popping

It should resolve itself when the jaw
is stabilized, and when the pain/spasms go away
usually splint therapy helps in the mean while
decongestants are helpful

Old 09-09-2003, 07:34 AM   #5

lashby HB User
This is going to sound like a dumb question, but what exactly is a splint? I used to have a bite guard that I wore at night, but since then I have had braces so it no longer fits. Is a splint different than a bite guard? What is the average cost?

Thanks for you help!

Closed Thread