It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2003, 05:23 PM   #1

kami-girl HB User
Post Tears,ears & disapppointment

I was supposed to have an app't with my neuro dentist today but woke up at 5 am with the dizzies again! I had to cancel until next week and am so disappointed because I know I need an adjustment because my ears have been ringing so much. I don't know why I had the spins again. It rained today for the first time in three months, I started physio therapy for muscle spasm in neck a couple of weeks ago, possibly overdid it. I don't know, just grasping at straws. I feel so low because I can't even tolerate a hour and a half car ride to dentist. I have had my splint for about 6 weeks and have not seen a great improvement yet. Some pain lessening and that is all. Maybe I expected a miracle but now I am questioning if I am doing the right thing. I have no one to talk about it to because my only (best) friend couldn't deal with it, my husband avoids me like the plaque when I am down and my grown children have their own lives. I just feel like a big tensed up ball of fire.

For years I thought I had an inner ear problem and now they say I have tmjd, myofascial pain dysfunction and the pt says my neck muscles are so stressed that I only have 15% muscle strength in my neck! I don't know where to go from here. The dizziness, brain fog and pain are just too much some days.

I just have to ask, how do you all function? Where do you find support? My neuro dentist says he can help, my physio therapist says she can help, my chiropractor says he can help, but so far I just don't see alot of improvement. I know that I am a high stress person and when I do feel somewhat better I find that I just want to be super woman and get back to life. I don't do alot on good days but I wonder if I do just push myself alittle too hard, does anyone else do this?

Grace

[Edited to remove words suggestive of profanity, with asterisks or other characters. For the future, use words like "ball of fire" or some other good word choices. Also consider using the smilies for expressing emphasis or emotion. For example: I feel like a ball of http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/blob_fire.gif .]

[This message has been edited by Well-come (edited 09-11-2003).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-11-2003, 07:42 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Anastasia HB User
Smile

Hi grace

Donít beat yourself up. I consider you a super woman! Youíve raised kids and have grandchildren, all the while dealing with brainfog and all of the other terrible symptoms we all have. Or every bad day, a good day will follow.

I think the rain may have had something to do with your dizzies. Whenever it rains here my head goes really loopy. I think it has to do with pressure and all that junk. It may have also just been one of those days. What sort of physio do you do? Iím just curious because I may have to start that stuff soon too, I have a neuro appointment tomorrow and am hoping he wonít fight with me about getting an MRI and ENG test for my ears and neck. Iíll be devastated if nothing is found, but that will be months away before I even get the appointment.

Iím also curious about how your x-rays turned out (sorry if youíve already stated that in an earlier post.) mineís a C-1 thing. If I learn anything tomorrow (doubt it) Iíll let you know. Iíve stopped improving too with chiro therapy.

Iím sure youíll have a good day soon. You know Iím always willing to chat and listen if you need it, or if you just need a boney little shoulder to cry on. I look up to people like you who have lived a long time with these symptoms. It gives me hope that I can live with it and it wonít drive me insane. Youíre one tough cream puff. Donít let a bad day get you down.

Take Care

Anastasia

Old 09-11-2003, 08:48 PM   #3

kami-girl HB User
Anastasia,

Thank you so much for your kind words. I appreciate it so much!
The chiropractor I have seen is a member of NUCCA (national upper cervical chiropractic association) He specializes in the c-1 or axis vertebrea. My first app't he took x-rays of the upper neck to see where my c-1 was positioned. The next day he did an adjustment which I didn't even feel, 3 days later he checked me, said the adjustment was holding, did another x-ray and the last app't I had he said it was still ok. I have an app't next week so will see. Because the bones in my neck seem to be ok I now believe that all my problems are muscle related. The first set of muscles the physio therapist has me working on are the
sternocleidomastoid. I did a search on these muscles and when they are in spasm they can cause imbalance, dizziness and blurred vision. Since I only have 15% muscle Power? and 45% in my tmj muscles I wonder if my problems began many years ago in the neck (car accidents) and now the problem has worked its way to the tmj. It seems obvious. I wonder if Cymy Sue would know more about this?

Enough about me, how are you doing? Please let me know how your ENG tests come out. I would like to know if the tests are more accurate these days.
Take care and thank you again!

Grace

Old 09-11-2003, 09:34 PM   #4

breeze55 HB User
Hello Kami- girl
Sorry to hear about your problem, it seems to me, it is more like a nervous problem, as in you can't handle stress, every time you get " the dizzies", it seems to be because of some stress you are under, maybe a good psychologist, could get to the point of it, as nothing else seems to help you.

As " the best friend" well, you know, she's not a psychologist, I gather, and is it fair to her, to unload your problems on her, maybe her load is heavy enough as is, maybe there was another reason she took, we'll say "time out" from your friendship. I know when we are down, we like to blame others, but, you know, i bet your friend is sorry to hear how things are progressing, maybe you should give her a call and try and sort things out? What do you think of that?? Personally, I really don't think a friend would leave a friend ship cause of some sickness, do you?
hope things do get better for you, you deserve more then this out of life.....

Old 09-12-2003, 05:25 PM   #5

MichaelV HB User
Her dizziness has nothing to do with psychology I am afraid. It has to do with her neck from the sounds of it. I also doubt it has much to do with c1 either.

[This message has been edited by MichaelV (edited 09-12-2003).]

[This message has been edited by Well-come (edited 09-12-2003).]

Old 09-12-2003, 05:45 PM   #6

breeze55 HB User
Hello MichaelV;
I was trying to unserstand why, kami girl, gets dizzy, from her tmj, if, she has had exrays etc., done, isn't there anything that would suggest its coming from the neck?

[This message has been edited by breeze55 (edited 09-12-2003).]

Old 09-13-2003, 01:21 AM   #7
Inactive

Elaine HB User
Cervical Spasm: Many people have spasms in their neck muscles on a constant basis that they are not aware of. This is often accompanied by a subluxation of the neck vertebrae. The neck has many proprioceptive nerves which tell the brain where the head is in space. But when the neck muscles are in spasm, these nerves don't function properly, giving the brain improper signals, thus causing the sensation of vertigo/dizziness. The jaw is often involved in that when the bite is improper, the muscle tone in the neck is elevated.

Old 09-13-2003, 09:39 AM   #8

breeze55 HB User
Thanks Elaine;
That helps me to know why the vertigo with kami girl is there, is there any thing else she can do to help this vertigo , as in operation etc...
also, could this be caused by a lot of stress, if so, what can one do??

[This message has been edited by breeze55 (edited 09-13-2003).]

Closed Thread