It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2003, 03:25 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Michelle W HB User
Post Anyone been to Mayo for TMJ?

I wondered what your experience was at Mayo Clinic?

Old 09-13-2003, 04:03 PM   #2
donschik

I have had TMJ surgery at the Mayo Clinc twice a few years apart. I had a Christensen implant put in the left side and it seemed to help so I had the right side done later on. It was a disaster from the beginning and the other side failed at the same time. My bite was so far off on the left side they could not correct it and had to put some kind of compound on my teeth in order for them to touch. I questioned the Dr. about the success of the Christensen implants and was not given honest answers. I was told they never wear out, they will not affect the bone they rub against, and was not told that they were taken off of the market for a time between my surgeries. I have had more problems now than I ever have. I have been fighting TMJ for almost 20 years now with at least ten surgeries (I lost count after that). The Dr. there is not a compassionate man and I thought very rude. I know that I am in an active phase of a degenerative joint disease but feel that they made matters worse. The upper bones are now about gone and I am looking at having total joint replacements. I called the National TMJ Association and asked them about Mayo and they said they do not recommend them b/c it is not an area of expertise for them and many people have had the same personal treatment from the Dr. that I did. He needs to learn some bedside manner skills. Through this healthboard I am under the care of another Dr. and am going a step at a time to see what will need to be done. Please do some more checking before making a decision on a Dr.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-13-2003, 10:18 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Michelle W HB User
Thank you for your information. I was thinking about going there if my current situation did not get any better. It seems to me that no one really knows much about this disease. A surgeon may possibly know how to put you back together, but after your surgery if you aren't fine they don't know where to go from there. It is so confusing for me.

Closed Thread