It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2003, 03:01 AM   #1

StylophonePet HB User
Post Cymy Sue

Hi Cymy,

In the topic: "other symptoms of TMJD not mentioned before?" you wrote something interesting.

You Wrote: "There is a school of thought among many Doctors that if you have TMJD, you are more likely to suffer with Fibromyalgia, Interstitial Cystitis, and several other problems that they believe are basically caused by stress. I've been told by more than one, that all of these are connected and are psychosomatic.
"Your mind makes your body sick."

My opinion is, this theory is garbage.
All of these disorders and diseases are very real and most cause physical damage to the body."

I know a couple of people who suffer from fibromyalgia, some who are in wheelchair and some who are not. My girlfriend is a PT, who has treated fibromyalgia patients so of course I have questioned her about fibromyalgia
In Belgium they are trying to make some sort of list to be able to diagnose psychosomatic diseases. This however seems to be practically impossible.
Fibromyalgia is impossible to diagnose, because the only thing a doctor can go on is the patients explanation, but they never find any physical cause for their pains. They can see the end result but not the cause. The person with the worst fibromyalgia I know also has some serious mental issues, child abuse related...and that makes me wonder about the theory

TMJD can be stress related (psychosomatic) but they can find physical evidence explaining the pain, and it's not always "just" a stress disorder...

Most of those disorders are indeed very real and cause physical damage, but the problem is that there are some very unsympathetic doctors out there that are not up to date who would rather send their patients home with the most expensive painkiller and never see them again with their "annoying" questions.

I agree with you Cymy Sue, I hate that "your mind makes your body sick" line.

*Please understand that I am trying to explain my thoughts on this, but in the translation there can be some room for misinterpretation...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-14-2003, 03:07 AM   #2

StylophonePet HB User
Damn, can someone delete this, this is a stupid topic...sorry Cymy Sue.
I posted before I thought

Old 09-14-2003, 03:42 AM   #3
Senior Veteran

Cymy Sue HB User
Wink

Hi Pet,

It's OK, whatever you were thinking. I think in FAQS, there's instructions on how to change or edit a post.
We can't completely delete, but we can edit our own. If you post something and then decide it's not worded like you wanted, you can edit or take off any part of it. If you change your mind about the whole post, you can edit it all and just leave, something like "sorry, wrong topic" or "oops". Everyone makes a post now and again and after they read it, they decide it was not what they wanted to say.

Cymy Sue

[This message has been edited by Cymy Sue (edited 09-14-2003).]

Closed Thread