It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2003, 10:17 AM   #1
Inactive

ryanpaus HB User
Post other symptoms of TMJD not mentioned beofore?

I found a website that also mention a symptom of TMJD that I havent read about before. The website mentioned that Sjogren's Syndrome is also a symptom that some people suffer from. I thought that this is probably true because I have most of the symptoms of this syndrome.

Such as:

Early symptoms:
One-sided swollen parotid salivary gland
Both parotid salivary glands swollen
Swollen cheeks
Swollen jaw

Most common symptoms:
Dry mouth - very common
Dry eyes - very common
Dry skin - about half of patients
Vaginal dryness

Symptoms caused by dry eyes:
Eye redness
Burning eyes
Itching eyes
Gritty eyes

Symptoms caused by dry mouth:
Thick saliva
No saliva
Difficulty chewing
Swallowing difficulty
Eating difficulty
Tasting difficulty
Speaking difficulty
Hoarseness
Smooth tongue
Mouth redness
Cracked lips
Mouth sores - at the corners
Tongue ulcers
Recurrent mouth infections
Oral candidiasis
Dental caries
Symptoms from dry skin:
Itching
Cracked skin
Skin rashes
Sun sensitivity
Sunburn
Dry nose
Dry throat
Dry larynx
Painful intercourse
Thyroid problems
Joint pain
Muscle pain
Lung problems
Pneumonia
Aspiration pneumonia
Limb numbness
Limb tingling
Extreme fatigue
Periods of remission and recurrences

what do you guys think?

Also on a completely different note I had imprints taken this morning for my first splint of my theropy. It will be a soft splint 2mm I think to give me some relief. Later all

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-21-2003, 03:51 PM   #2
Inactive

ryanpaus HB User
no one here has any of these symptoms?

Old 08-21-2003, 03:52 PM   #3
Veteran

GenDen HB User
I think they are really pushing it to attribute all those symptoms to TMJD. It is possible that some of them are related, but most of them not likely. Sjogrens is an autoimmune disease. I can't see how it could be caused by TMJ dysfunction. The problem with attributing a plethera of symptoms to TMJD is that a correct diagnosis might be missed. It is possible and common to have more than one disease process or syndrome going on at the same time. Treatment should target each condition separately.

Old 09-12-2003, 05:34 PM   #4

omarizbabig920 HB User
Unhappy

i don't know if i have tmjd or w/e cause i have stiffness in my jaw when i eat or talk or smile also just like pain when i press on my jaw also my eyes have been bothering me but i don't know

Old 09-13-2003, 02:02 AM   #5

StylophonePet HB User
Can someone please explain to me in what "vaginal dryness" or "painfull intercourse" has to do with TMJD?

Because I don't see the connection.

And another thing, I have a salivary duct stone on my right jaw so that only contributes to a certain pain/irritation but it's not neccesarily connected to TMJD, IMHO

Old 09-13-2003, 09:27 AM   #6
Senior Veteran

Cymy Sue HB User
Lightbulb

ryanpaus,

Many people with TMJD experience dry eyes, irritation and pain. This is due to a couple of small muscles that connect to the boney structure of the eye and to the muscles of mastication. (Chewing muscles) They are the zygomandibularis and the sphenomadibularis. The connection is a little complicated, but if you read about these 2 muscles, it makes sense that our eyes would be affected.

I think most of us have experienced problems with chewing and eating. Talking becomes difficult when your opening is very limited and many people have trouble swallowing.

Muscle pain, tingling and numbness is not uncommon, usually in the upper body. (Face, neck, etc.)Swelling around the jaw area does occur.

I think we all experience fatigue at some point.

Sjogren's Syndrome is an autoimmune disease as GenDen has posted. It can be a very devastating disease.

Some people only have dry eyes and mouth.
Others have all of these symtoms you have posted plus, it can affect the trachea and lungs. The sac around the heart can become inflamed. It also "attacks" the pancreas, liver, spleen, and lymph nodes. People develope a form of arthritis. Lymphoma is 44 times more common in people with Sjogrens than the general population. This is a very terrible disease.(I researched this a great deal, a while back. When I developed severely dry eyes, this disease was mentioned and I was asked about all of these symtoms. They couldn't believe TMJD could cause dry eyes, it does.)

There is a school of thought among many Doctors that if you have TMJD, you are more likely to suffer with Fibromyalgia, Interstitial Cystitis, and several other problems that they believe are basically caused by stress. I've been told by more than one, that all of these are connected and are psychosomatic.
"Your mind makes your body sick."

My opinion is, this theory is garbage.
All of these disorders and diseases are very real and most cause physical damage to the body.

I have never seen or heard of Sjogren's Syndrome being added to this list. It is possible that some in the medical profession have decided that SS should be included in this group of psychosomatic illnesses. If they have, they do not know much about this disease.

Anyone can develope an autoimmune disease and there are many.

I've never read anything about autoimmunity and TMJD being connected.

The only cases of this I've heard of, would be with people who've had some of the older Implants.

Cymy Sue

[This message has been edited by Cymy Sue (edited 09-13-2003).]

Old 09-14-2003, 07:37 AM   #7

larissa26 HB User
Well I dont know about all those symptoms but I do know that I have all the ones dealing with the mouth, swallowing, chewing, hoarness,dry mouth,dental problems.. I am 30 years old and weigh 101 pounds due to this....And My TMJ DR. told me this is from TMJ...

LARISSA

Old 09-24-2004, 01:58 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

singer1 HB User
Re: other symptoms of TMJD not mentioned beofore?

Camy Sue,

You seem to know alot about TMJD, can you tell me if tender salivary glands play a part in this? If so, what should be done? Heat or ice to the area?

Old 12-02-2004, 09:30 AM   #9

lifetimer HB User
Re: other symptoms of TMJD not mentioned beofore?

I would like to know too. I have one on the same side as my TMJ. It seems like this could be connected somehow. I have read this before a few times being connected to TMJ. Any updates from anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by atibbert
I too am curious about the tender salivary glands if anyone knows. I have tried heat, ice and massage and nothing seems to help.
Amy

Closed Thread