It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2003, 07:23 PM   #1
Senior Veteran

DianeTMJ HB User
Talking I have my new repositional splints :0)

Hi everyone!

Tee hee hee! I am so thrilled! http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/dance.gif

Okay, I was ready to go from the stablizing orthotic to the repositional orthotics.... yes that is plural.
There is one for day use, one for sleep time.

I had my appt back in mid August, but the night time one was not right, so they sent back. So I did not wear the new repositiong orthotic until yesterday and today and the night time one last night.
Oh my gosh! You guys, it took awhile for it to dawn on me, but I had more energy today! Not alot, please do not misunderstand, but a little more energy.

Okay the day time is perfect, I could live in this thing forever, I can talk with it, laugh with, eat with it. It is great!

The night time one is WEIRD! Both my top and bottom teeth go into it. I know, sounds weird and it is! But do you know what happens? I automatically start breathing through my nose... haven't done that since a little girl. I had to take it though about 4am as my back molar was just a little cranky, not bad, so I need a tweek to it, will have that on Monday. It keeps the mouth closed, give more room for my tounge so it does not slide back in my throat, I do not SNORE with it! That makes hubby happey too! It keeps the jaw in its forward position.

The reason for being exhausted is, when you breath through your mouth, you only get 70% of the oxygen that people breathing through their nose gets. Add on top of the sore muscles, demanding more oxygen and so taking it, helps in the creation of the exhaustion we feel.

Okay, my splints will be moving my lower jaw forward 4mm, doesn't sound like a lot but look at a small pea and that is about how much.

I am so thrilled with this. I can not believe it. I can not believe it. Did I say, I can not believe it!

I will keep everyone up to date as to how I progress. It was touch and go there for a bit but say, I think I could possibly go for a little walk, maybe to the mailbox and back!
I could just hug Dr B!
Shoot off any questions.
Everyone take care,
Big Hugs
Diane

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-12-2003, 07:47 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

Arleen HB User
Hi Diane:

I'm thrilled you're doing so well with your new splints, and that they're working so well in unison. The nighttime one does sound weird with upper and lowers both fitting into it. Do you keep on with both of them indefinitely?

Take care and hugarooneys,
Arleen

Old 09-12-2003, 07:55 PM   #3
Senior Veteran

DianeTMJ HB User
Hi Arleen!
Oh these things are great! The positions are just the same between the two splints, it makes it real easy going from day to night splint.
Dr B thought it would be about six weeks or more before we could begin to think about the "phase II". But the night time one, I may need something like that for the rest of my life, I need to ask about that one, since we are talking about a perm one, but I would need something for beddy by time!
How are you doing these days Arleen?
big hugs
Diane

Old 09-12-2003, 08:31 PM   #4

Al4 HB User
Diane,

Very happy to read that you have your repos, and things are transiting smoothly from the ortho. I know what you mean about the breathing. I have actually read that nasal breathing accounts for 70% and mouth breathing for 30%. It is incredible how many apparently unrelated problems can be solved by improving the lower jaw position and posture. Good luck with all phases of treatment.

[This message has been edited by Al4 (edited 09-14-2003).]

Old 09-13-2003, 12:04 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

CherylLynn24 HB UserCherylLynn24 HB UserCherylLynn24 HB User
Smile

Diane,

I'm so happy to hear that things are working out for you. It offers all of us hope. Please keep us all updated on your progress!
Take Care,
Cheryl

P.S. It's refreshing to see your drive in telling 'our' stories to all that will listen....it WILL make a difference!

Old 09-13-2003, 01:08 AM   #6
Veteran

mdla HB User
I am so glad to hear you are on the road to further improvements. How long are you going to have to wear the night splint. I must say Im not sure I would be able to fall asleep, Ive seen some thing at the Cedars pain center they make for people with sleep apnea sort of like that. Is breathing through the nose supposed to be what we do and gives us better or more oxygen?

I got another adjustment on my splint on Tuesday. They TENSed me for 2 hours then built up the acrilic on top of my splint to make it higher. Im not sure it still just doesnt feel as good as it did when I first got it before they did the 1st adjustment. Does wearing a splint hurt your gums? Mine always hurt after I eat I feel like food is shoved down in them between the platic of the splint and the gum.

Have a great weekend!
-Mdla

Old 09-13-2003, 07:03 AM   #7
Veteran

RobynRose HB User
Hi Diane !! Horray! Sounds like you hit the jackpot again! Dr. B must be one talented guy. It seems he just knows how to read into each patient's individual case needs - and variations. It's not just a simple "one size fits all" deal - this is for sure.

I'm doing fairly well over here...have had a string of better days where my splint feels right and symptoms are improved. I wish I could just stretch out these "strings".... Unfortunately - with the spine issues I backslide into awful quite frequently - then it takes me a long time to recover and get to feeling ok again. The hypermobile jaw is a difficult one.

In any case... keep feeling great - enjoy your new splints!!

http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/heart.gif Robyn

Old 09-15-2003, 08:28 AM   #8

jp123 HB User
Hi Glad to hear things are going so well. I just got mine to but it has made my teth hurt so I think I have to have it adjusted. I am supposed to wear mine at night and during the day unless I eat or brush my teeth. Werent you scared to wear yours? I am because I was afraid that it would make me worse, and it has been jhurting. Anyway why is it that you have 2 different ones, one for night and one for day, what is the difference? Good luck I hope mine works out as well. Any suggestions?

MDLA,
My dr. does not tense me how do they know how to make proper adjustmjents without it? That acrylic stuff is horrrible after yuo guys go and have stuff done in your mouth I mean do you feel worse for a few days, I always do.
Take care Jennifer

[This message has been edited by jp123 (edited 09-15-2003).]

Closed Thread