It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2003, 08:18 PM   #1

Jamie HB User
Post Got my Orthotic Today & UPDATE

Hey all,

So, today I got my orthotic from Dr. Rawson. Then I was off to "Interface" to see somebody regarding my wisdom teeth. I was told by the doctor that I can get them out whenever I want to, but it's not a pressing issue. He said they need to come out within the next 2 years, but he suggests sometime in the new year.

Ok, so after a few re-adjustments I got my two orthotics. One I wear all day, and one I wear at night. The day one is on the bottom of my jaw and provides the movement. The night time one is on the top of my mouth and is in at night time to hold the movement into place until I wake up and put the day-time one in.

After the first 2 hours with it in, I was dizzy but it went away. I can feel the pressure in my mouth as it holds the jaw into it's new "home".

Unfortuntaly, I can't report any changes in symptoms. I still have the ear clicks, noise sensitivity and now a constant bout of mild ear pain.

Yes, I know.. it's been less then 12 hours. I am sure I have to give it time. However, if the orthotic (he says it's not a splint, but similar) is holding my jaw to the place it will be forced to stay in, shouldn't the ear symptoms disappear because it's already moved? I am sure that isn't the case, but it's wishful thinking.

I keep my orthotic in to eat, and then clean it after. It SUCKS for eating, but it will MAKE me lose some of that extra winter weight I wanna get rid of, as it will force me to eat soft foods and not eat for enjoyment. For dinner, I had oatmeal (Rasins and SPice - YUM) but it was NOT enjoyable, and that was OATMEAL!!! hehe... there goes eating for enjoyment!

Anyways, that's my update. Let's hope that I can report some changes some time soon.

What do you all think?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-16-2003, 05:18 AM   #2

Jamie HB User
Question

ANY feedback/comments/questions?

I need attention

Old 09-16-2003, 05:23 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

saaraah HB User
imo, i think it's way too early to expect improvements.. just think about it this way - your symptoms have been around for a long time [im guessing], so it's going to take awhile to get things under control. it cant be fixed over night.

but dont worry - things *will* get under control and you *will* notice improvement.

i can understand how anxious you are; i imagine when/if i get my splint, i'll be the exact same way!

take care,

- saaraah.

Old 09-16-2003, 05:53 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

TC543 HB User
Smile

Jamie,

I think it is much too soon to see an improvement in your ear symptoms. I have heard those sometimes take the longest. However, I would let your dentist know about the dizziness and mild ear pain. It could just be an adjustment period, but I don't like new symptoms.

Good luck learning to eat with it.

Take care,
TC

Old 09-16-2003, 05:58 AM   #5
Veteran

Marlene HB UserMarlene HB UserMarlene HB UserMarlene HB User
Cool

Hi Jamie,

Don't be discouraged if you don't notice any significant change in your symptoms for a time. The effect is so gradual for some symptoms. Personally, the only immediate relief I got when first wearing my splint was a decrease in the intensity and frequency of my killer headaches. The jaw pain and dizziness actually increased periodically within the first couple of weeks of wearing it (but I was told that this could occur) because my jaw was literally "fighting" to return to the old/incorrect position. As I've posted several times before, the TMJ condition developed over time, and therefore it's going to take time to correct it. Patience is the key.

Marlene

Old 09-16-2003, 07:09 AM   #6
Senior Veteran

Cymy Sue HB User
Jamie,

The same goes for me as Marlene, the daily headaches and dull pain that had been in the left side of my face for years, went first. Then my opening started to increase.
Then the nerve pain started to ease up, as the muscles unclenched. It's been 9 months and most everything is better or gone. I still have a little hiss in my ears, but it seems to come with stress and tension. I don't have ear pain or weird ear symtoms anymore. I haven't needed any type of medication for my TMJD in several months. Not even a Tylenol.

Cymy Sue

[This message has been edited by Cymy Sue (edited 09-16-2003).]

Old 09-16-2003, 01:27 PM   #7
Senior Veteran

DianeTMJ HB User
Hello-
It will take a little bit of time & a couple of adjustments. I wish it could be instant for you, this TMD is such a pain! I have a night one too. I put it in right when the lights go out as my hubby can not understand me it in my mouth! I can't open my mouth with it in :0)
take care
Diane

Closed Thread