It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2003, 07:57 PM   #1

Jamie HB User
Post SCARED silly!

oh my god...

if anyone suffers from HYPERACUSIS (sensitivity to noise) do not read the forums at the Hyperacusis Network.

If what those people are going through is what I am going to experience as my Hyperacusis gets worse. I might as well pack it in now.

Old 09-13-2003, 08:28 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

Ouch-ear-pain HB User
Hi, is this where you can't be around a motorcycle or Fireworks because of the noise??? If so I have it big time!! I can't even be around balloons!!! Please respond so I know.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-13-2003, 09:52 PM   #3

Jamie HB User
Yes. Hyperacusis is sensitovity to noise.

Check out the Hyperacusis Network

Copy and paste that in google and you will find it.

I am depressed

Old 09-13-2003, 11:17 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Michelle W HB User
I best not look. I can't handle any more bad news today.

Old 09-14-2003, 01:22 AM   #5
(male)

MarkCE HB User
Hi Jamie,

I have severe hyperacusis and I post on hyperacusis.net sometimes. Some there have it pretty severe like me, some even worse than me, and others to varying other degrees. The most paramount statistic you need to keep in your mind regarding hyperacusis though, is that around 90% of people with affliction achieve signifcant relief through sound therapy.

There's no reason to scare yourself silly over it. I know it's hard not to, but honestly, fear is your worst enemy with tinnitus/hyperacusis. Just because you have hyperacusis doesn't mean it will get worse, as everyone's case is unique.

Personally, I think when hyperacusis is caused by TMJ, then successful treatment of the disorder should result in complete recovery from the hyperacusis or at least a marked improvement in it. Hyperacusis when the cause is unknown though, can still be recovered from.

Nobody wants to be a part of this board, the hyperacusis.net board, or any board that discusses unpleasant afflictions, we'd much rather never had a need to read them in the first place.. we all want to be healthy. However, should you ever need them, you'll be eternally thankful for the help, support, and information the people in those communities can offer you.

Hope I didn't bring the fear to this post that you would like to avoid on the hyperacusis.net board, but I just wanted to try and curb the fear with some information.

Take care,
Mark

Old 09-14-2003, 02:25 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

paxy HB User
i m super scared of balloons too. u mean it is because of tmj?

Old 09-14-2003, 03:18 AM   #7
(male)

MarkCE HB User
Balloons? Don't quite understand what you mean.

Old 09-14-2003, 04:22 AM   #8
Senior Veteran

Cymy Sue HB User
Lightbulb

Jamie,

Mark is absolutely right. I've had "Super Sonic" hearing all of my life. I still do.

Over the years as the TMJD got worse, it turned to Hyperacusis. During the 10 year period that I was having one TMJ surgery after the other, it became unbearable. I watched TV with the sound so low, everyone thought it was off. I could hear it. I had to stop going to any type of entertainment. Concerts, sporting events, theaters, plays, etc. At it's worst, the music in church was too loud and then restaurants and the workplace was too much. The general hum of multiple conversations became an unbearable loud rumble to me.

As I began to heal from the surgeries and take other measures to treat the TMJD symtoms, the Hyperacusis started to go away.(Relaxation, Massage Therapy, Mild exercise, etc.) With my current "Splint Therapy" which has worked so well, I can now watch TV with other people (who turn it up very loud), I've been to some outside sports, church music is OK and I am thinking about going to a Theater (with earplugs) for the first time in about 16 years. Surround sound still scares me, but I have to know. (I guess it's still called that.)

I have never listened to super loud music and never will, but I think now, I can stand most everything else. I don't have Hyperacusis anymore.

This is a problem that can be helped to some degree if it is nerve damage of the ears or idiopathic.
If you have TMJD, treatment will help or cure the Hyperacusis.

Have you ever talked to a neurotologist or neuro-otologist? (If you've answered this before, I apologize. We have so many members now with ear problems and I'm getting kind of over-the -hill)

These Doc's are trained in regular Ear problems and diseases (otologist) and also in the neural or nerve (neuro) aspect of the ears. I got more help from the one I see than 5 ENT's, about the Hyperacusis and the Tinnitus. He told me to get the TMJD under control and my ear problems would be minor or even go away completely. He was right.
All the others told me to learn to live with it.

I hope this helps,
Cymy sue

[This message has been edited by Cymy Sue (edited 09-14-2003).]

Old 09-14-2003, 08:25 PM   #9

Jamie HB User
Mark,

Thank you for your reply!

I am sorry if I made your "Hyperacusis" out to be the worst thing of all time. I am sure you understand the stages that everyone goes through when dealing with this awful symptoms. I am glad you shared your story, and I wish you all of the best in your quest to be 100%!

Is your Hyperacusis, TMJ related?
If so, what have you done as far as treatments, and what have you found works and doesn't work?

Old 09-15-2003, 04:43 AM   #10
Veteran
(female)

paxy HB User
is being scared of balloons a symptom too? cos i saw someone mentioned abt being scared of balloons too.

Old 09-15-2003, 05:05 AM   #11
(male)

MarkCE HB User
Jamie,

Well to me, my hyperacusis and tinnitus are TMJ related I believe. Whenever my bite shifts or my jaw is tight, sore, or painful, my ear symptoms increase 10fold.

My hyperacusis and tinnitus inhibit me from getting as prompt a treatment as I would like, I have to pace myself. So at the moment I'm waiting for a second opinion, it's actually today so hopefully I'll get a different view on things.

I did wear a stabilizing splint with my first dentist for about a month, it made my tinnitus alot worse, but helped my hyperacusis. Muscle relaxers seem to help both symptoms to a significant degree if I take them for long periods of time.

I'm very confident that once I find something to help my TMJ, my tinnitus and hyperacusis will become a less significant issue in my life.

paxy,

Never heard of a fear of balloons, I might cringe away if I thought one was about to pop though heh.

Old 09-16-2003, 04:31 PM   #12
astur boy

Reat the TMJ forum, you'll find that if hyperacusys is caused by a TMJ disorder it may be highly reduced and in some cases eliminated.

Closed Thread