It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2003, 09:36 AM   #1

Ryleigh HB User
Smile new to this

I was just told on Saturday that I have TMJ. And like most of you I had no clue what they were talking about. So I came home and looked it up. I still don't understand something and I know it will take some getting used to. Sure explains why the doctors always said your ears are fine... Well anyway I just wanted to introduce myself a little since I will be on the boards quite a bit. Unfortunately more for advice to start then to help others, mainly cause I don't know alot about it. I am 24 years old and have 2 kids that I stay home with, so I don't really have any adults to talk to cause Im alone all day. Please forgive me now for any stupid questions. I won't get into a few of them as of yet but look for my posts in the next few hours or days I could really use the help. Thanks to all.

Old 09-16-2003, 10:52 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

saaraah HB User
welcome to the board. dont feel bad about asking questions - i, too, used to feel silly asking so many questions here, but i've learned a lot. and with your newfound knowledge, you can help others.

what type of treatments are you in? what are your symptoms?

take care,

- saaraah.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-16-2003, 05:58 PM   #3
Senior Veteran

TiffanyAnn HB User
Hi and welcome to the board:
No questions is ever a stupid question except the one you don't ask. Ane we all came to this board originally for support because we weren't sure what to do next. You will find really nice people who have alot of experience and knowledge here. Please feel free to ask anything you are wondering about. Some of those questions you might think are really stupid because you might not see how they could be related to your TMJ you will learn are related. This is a really great group of people.
Tiffany

Old 09-17-2003, 08:40 AM   #4

Ryleigh HB User
Thanks,
I've been telling my doctors for about 3 years that there is something wrong with my ears.. They would check them say they are fine and send me on my way. On Saturday my ulcer was acting up and my right ear was just killing me I couldn't touch any part of the right side of my face. So again looked at my ears.. nothing was wrong. /sigh But then he started poking around at the muscles and area behind my ears near my jaw. I nearly slapped him! So he decided to get more tests done, Im sure you've all been through them. Anyway so they came to the conclusion that I have TMJ (you knew that though ) They got me a mouth guard and some anti-inflamitories and sent me on my way. They pills make me sick and the mouth guard doesn't fit in my mouth So in my opinion Im not being treated at all. I just moved so I don't yet have a family doctor or a dentist, but I plan to look up a few and ask them if they have patients with this and how they helped them and so on. I refuse to have surgery so I will just have to figure out the best ways to help me. I seem to relax the most when my husband rubs my right hand and wrist. Now onto one or two questions.

Q: Does eating differently help you ease the pain, like change of diet or just eating smaller portions cause of the chewing?

Q: Along with the other question for easing symptoms what kind of excersise (sp?) helps most people, I know everyone is different but on these boards have you found a common one that helps more people then not?

I plan to start a post on the last question but I'd like to wait a little bit Thank you all for letting me into your little hurt family :P

Old 09-17-2003, 08:56 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

saaraah HB User
ryleigh - if you dont mind me asking, where do you live? maybe someone on this board is in your area and can give you a referrel to a *good* dentist.

in response to your first question, changing your diet can help your jaw out. i've cut out anything that's chewy and/or crunchy. thus, i dont eat raw vegetables, chips, crusty bread, big sandwhiches etc. im a vegetarian, so i dont have to worry about meat.. tofu is very soft, so that's good.

i personally dont do any exercises for my jaw itself, but i try to maintain good posture and stretch out my chest and back as often as i remember.

good luck.

- saaraah.

Old 09-17-2003, 09:05 AM   #6

Ryleigh HB User
I live in Calgary Alberta Canada.. I was told thatI should avoid sugar. I have a really low red blood cell count though, not sure if thats directly related but Im also Anemic so that doesn't help me much Yes Im a walking problem waiting to happen! I started to get headaches about a year ago, but my doctor said that it was relate to chinooks (a warm dry wind blowing down the E slopes of the Rockies) But I've lived here for 8 years, so I figured it would have come sooner.. but they tend to be right on occation
Not sure what my point was now so Im going to go relax for a bit

Closed Thread