It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2003, 08:58 AM   #1

mamaslittlehelper HB User
Post What next???

Hi all! I have had and been wearing my nightguard (the kind that fits over my bottom teeth) for almost 3-weeks now...although I probably haven't been wearing it as much as I should..I feel it should have been enough!(wear it faithfully everynite to bed and off and on throughout the day)...It does not seem to be helping at all and I feel so let down! I am still on the pain medicine and have not talked to my doctor about longterm medication as of yet...it is still helping, but there were a couple really bad days last week when it quit working too soon! ;-(

I go to see my tmj dentist next week and he is going to ask me if I have had any relief yet and of course I will be saying NO...I am afraid of what he will suggest next! Can anyone throw some ideas my way of ways they have found to cope with this pain without having surgery (I am terrified of that and just absolutely refuse to have it done!!!)...I have heard of some kind of shots they can give in the jaw muscles (??) or something to releive the pain for awhile! I just feel so uninformed/scared/hurting and afraid this "new friend" is going to be with me for awhile! Any ideas, input, or just anything would help!! Thanks and TC!

Old 09-19-2003, 09:05 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

PINKYPRISCILLA HB User
Hello,

You should talk to your dentist about it because the splint might not be the right one for you.

Were you diagnosed?
Did you have an mri done?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-19-2003, 09:18 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

saaraah HB User
mammaslittlehelper - it's been explained to me before that a nightguard really isnt that effective because when you have a sprained ankle, you dont walk around on it during the day, and then at night, let it rest.

that's the same with the jaw and a nightguard - you're putting the TMJs under stress during the day, and giving them rest at night.. it's just not enough time for them to heal, which is why 24/7 splint therapy seems to make sense [at least, it makes sense intellectually to me...].

perhaps you could look into getting a splint that's worn all of the time?

- saaraah.

Old 09-19-2003, 05:31 PM   #4

mamaslittlehelper HB User
Thanks sarah and pinky! Yes, I was diagnosed and had xrays taken (not sure if it was an mri...I stood up inside this machine and the xray camera moved around my head) and they clearly showed a problem...the dentist said it looked like I was having some early signs of arthritus (sp?)...I was told I can wear this splint 24/7 and that there was another one I could try but it was more expensive and we are having financial problems as it is! (no dental ins!)...guess I just need to try to be more patient and deal with this better! Thanks and TC!

Closed Thread