It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2003, 05:38 AM   #1
(female)

OHJELJ HB User
Question Sleep dilema...position vs. pillow?

Hey everyone,

I haven't posted a question in a long time...but I have to ask...

I'm still in PT and have had a few bad days lately. I went last night and they found my neck rotated by over an inch and a half...they fix it by using my muscles to put things back where they belong and the pain is just gone...in an instant! I spent all day yesterday with a droopy eyelid, muscle spasms in my head, severe pain around my left eye and ear...and literally within 2 minutes, my pain was gone.

I've been trying to figure out how I'm doing this to myself and we think it's while I'm sleeping...must be in the wrong position I guess.

Has anyone gotten any advice on the best position to sleep in and the correct type of pillow to use? My PT wants me to sleep with a rolled towel under the back of my neck...not exactly a comfy position!

I'd appreciate input on this one! It's a viscious cycle! One bad night of what I think is good sleep and I'm a mess of knots!

Thanks.
Jennifer

Old 09-05-2003, 07:52 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

PINKYPRISCILLA HB User
I found out that a posture correcting pillow is helpful
to support your neck also a soft pillow between your thighs if you are a side sleeper.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-05-2003, 10:40 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

CherylLynn24 HB UserCherylLynn24 HB UserCherylLynn24 HB User
Smile

Hi Jennifer,

I'm sorry to hear that you had a bad few days there. comfortable. His Chiropractor suggested a while back to get one of the body pillows. He can still sleep on his side but with his body pillow up against him between his knees. I hope that makes sense. It seems to keep him somewhat straightened out through the night and not all twisted up by morning. Hope this helps!

Take Care,
Cheryl

[This message has been edited by CherylLynn24 (edited 10-31-2003).]

Old 09-05-2003, 05:29 PM   #4
Senior Veteran

TiffanyAnn HB User
Hi Pinky:
What does a posture correcting pillow look like and where can I purchase one at?
Thanks,
Tiffany

Old 09-08-2003, 05:35 AM   #5
(female)

OHJELJ HB User
Hey Cheryl, thanks for the note! I've tried the full body thing and I end up wrenching my neck even more...it's a no win anymore! I think I'll try the contour pillow. I think Linens N things carry them...it'd better work for $20!

I'm loving this weather! It's making my last week of work slightly tolerable! My husband and I went down to Huntington Beach last night and just relaxed and watched the sunset. It was our first anniversary yesterday...poor man. SO many bad things have happened this past year! I hope I don't have to put him through much more this year! He worked the Browns game yesterday too...he said people were tailgating at 9:00 AM! I guess the weather has people just going crazy!

I hope Mike is doing well with school...I think of him in the mornings when I see the kids slowly making their way to school. There's a group of really cute girls that I see every morning...he needs to intercept them! They actually look like nice girls too! It scares me to see the way some of them dress to go to school! Yikes! Now I sound like an old fuddy duddy!

Hope you have a great week and I'll let you know if the contour thing works!

Take care,
Jennifer

Old 09-08-2003, 07:32 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

PINKYPRISCILLA HB User
Hi Tiffany,

The pillow is kind of made from foam and I looks like a
ski slope kind of curves higher on one end, slopes down in the middle and then curves higher where the back of your neck rests, you can get them at any health/vitamin
shop, or innovative shops.

Old 09-08-2003, 10:16 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

CherylLynn24 HB UserCherylLynn24 HB UserCherylLynn24 HB User
Wink

Hi Jennifer,

delete post

[This message has been edited by CherylLynn24 (edited 10-31-2003).]

Old 09-08-2003, 10:35 PM   #8
Senior Veteran

Arleen HB User
Hi Jennifer:

Happy belated anniversary! http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/love2.gif I hope by the time you celebrate you second that your TMJD problems will be far behind you.

I used to sleep with a pillow and would wake up in the morning with my teeth and gums killing me (helped along by a bad nightguard). I started using a rolled up towel and it's cut my pain level a bit. With my head lying much flatter, my teeth don't seem to contact as forcefully or closely (or something). After the first night of doing this, my back hurt, so I started putting a pillow under my knees.

It isn't the most comfortable position in the world, but I've gotten used to it. Some nights when I find my head is leaning in a particular direction (it tends to go left), I'll curl the rolled pillow on that side up beside my head so it can't move in that direction.

Hope you find something comfortable for your neck.

Take care,
Arleen

Old 09-09-2003, 01:02 AM   #9
Senior Veteran

Cymy Sue HB User
Jennifer,

I've been told by Surgeons, PT's, Chiros and every other Doctor I've ever seen, the best way to sleep with TMJD, neck and upper back problems, is on your back. If not with a rolled towel, a very flat pillow.

This became imperative with the surgeries I had (always both sides). It was very hard to do. I put a small pillow on both sides of my head, so I couldn't turn. I finally learned to sleep this way and they were right. It did help as much as they said it would.

In the last couple of years, with the lower back problem, I can't do it anymore. It hurts my back, now.
I have to alternate sides or my neck and shoulders will get really stiff. (I had also started to make a noise, breathing, sleeping on my back) It was real hard to change back and took a while.

I slept flat on my back for many years and I do see now that it was very beneficial for upper body & TMJD problems.

I hope you find something that helps.

Cymy Sue

Old 09-09-2003, 06:37 AM   #10
(female)

OHJELJ HB User
Cheryl, Arleen & CymySue - Thanks! As usual you came through for me! I've been sleeping with one pillow lately until I find something else and boy, it's been awful! I wake up a few times a night and my back is killing me, my shoulders are sore...it's going to be a rough transition! I know it's better for my jaw to do the rolled towel or flat pillow, but will the rest of me make it!?! http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/yawn.gif If nothing else, my husband will have to kill me if I don't stop tossing and turning! We'll never make it to year two!

Thanks for the help, if I didn't know what everyone else had been through with this, I would think I was falling apart!

Thanks for the good wishes too...my husband has the 'in sickness' part of our vows down...now I hope he gets the chance to do the 'in health' part!

Cheryl: I'm glad Mike decided not to do football! WOW! What a nightmare! I watch those kids every afternoon on my way home from work and they just look exhausted! Not to mention what one good hit could do to his poor head! Yikes! My husband works for the collegiate sports conference that has schools like BG and Kent State so we hit a lot of sporting events on weekends. So far, baseball seems to be the least 'jarring' of all of them to me! We're both huge sports fans (luckily!) and tend to migrate towards sporting events...I do enjoy the fact that he goes to the Browns games each home game and gets paid to watch it! I'm not a huge Browns fan (don't tell, but I'm from Baltimore! ) I'm not a huge Ravens fan either...I'm from the generation that hated the Colts because they left us! So, my sport is baseball...and my husband and I have never met a baseball game we didn't enjoy!

Tell Mike I'll scam on the chicks in my neighborhood for him! I can't believe that a 14 year old has already HAD a baby! How sad! I'm 36 and am still waiting until it's the right time for us to have kids! Her life must be tough! It's a shame that he has to filter out moms from his potential datable list!

Thanks again everyone and I'll post what I find with the contour thing...if I ever win one on ebay!
Jennifer

Old 09-09-2003, 08:17 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

totallyconfused HB User
Smile

HI everyone! Sorry I'm getting in on this a little late. Jennifer, I hope you are doing alright.

When I am sleeping on my back, I almost always notice that my head turns to one side or the other. I'm not lying on my joints, though. When I lay on one side or the other, I push the pillow up (regular pillow as it is too uncomfortable with a cervical pillow) to about the top of my ear and sleep that way so that I have no pressure on my joints. However, this doesn't do much for my neck. My Chiropractor says this is a terrible position for the neck since there is no support for it. Well, I just don't know what to do. Those cervical type contour pillows sometimes make me hurt in the morning, too, and I don't get a good night's sleep. We need something that allows us to sleep on our side, supports the neck, AND doesn't touch the TMJs. Any ideas?

Jennifer, let us know if you find something that works for you.

Take care everyone,
TC

Old 09-22-2003, 10:21 AM   #12
Mara

I use a neck roll. It helps.

Old 09-22-2003, 02:19 PM   #13
(female)

OHJELJ HB User
Hey everyone....
Got the contour pillow...it's great. No more rotating the neck and no more waking up with bad pain! It's taken me a little over a week to get used to sleeping with it...it's much flatter than what I'm used to, but it really helps to keep me in the correct sleeping position!

It's a small pillow...make sure if you get one, you get the right size for you! I'm only 5'3" so it works great for me...plus my neck is short so it's comfortable for me but my husband can't use it...he's over six feet so he needs a higher pillow for his size!

Hope this helps! Good luck!
Jennifer

Old 09-22-2003, 07:12 PM   #14
Veteran

Marlene HB UserMarlene HB UserMarlene HB UserMarlene HB User
Cool

I use a buckwheat hull pillow. You simply make a little indentation in the center for your head and the pillow will automatically support your neck in the natural position. The support of buckwheat hulls "shape" the entire head and neck area uniformly, eliminating pressure points. The pillow will conform to your contours as you move around during the night. The hulls are not required by any form or structure to regain a "prefabricated" form or shape, therefore, your muscles don't have to fight to keep your head in position and your muscles can relax. I tried the foam type of contour pillow but found it too "rigid".

Marlene

Closed Thread