HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/tmj-disorder-temporomandibular-joint/)
-   -   TMJ with no pain? is it possible? (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/tmj-disorder-temporomandibular-joint/108450-tmj-no-pain-possible.html)

Fighter 09-21-2003 08:26 AM

TMJ with no pain? is it possible?

Im new to this subject, but am curious to get some feedback. I am a teeth grinder. The only sensations I really ever get is my teeth will feel a little agitated from grinding all night. Once in awhile I'll get a slight clicking sound in my jaw on one side. I do get popping sounds in my ears all the time when Im messing with opening my jaw and such. I also am suffering from somewhat of an inner ear problem (supposedly), with off balance dizzyish probs. It feels like one side of my jaw is more loose than the other which is the same side coincidentally is the same side I always feel like my ears needs to pop and gets itchy sometimes and so forth.(the right side) What Im wondering is I dont notice any real jaw pain but I do get tension in my head muscles. Can this possibly be TMJD even though the symptoms dont seem as serious as what Ive read here? I appreciate any responses. Just trying to get a handle on all this. I have extreme anxiety and depression over all this as well. thanks all. -fighter-

Ryleigh 09-21-2003 09:52 AM

I had the same issues for year but no pain so I figured it wasn't a big deal, I often asked the doctors if my ears were dirty cause of the iching and poping. I was always told your fine go home. I grind my teeth all the time in my sleep, tho I didnt know that I did until my husband woke me and said stop it! :) Recently I starting having REALLY bad pain out of nowhere so I figured I got an ear infection. He said I've more then likely had this for many years. So I guess my point is just cause it doesn't hurt now or hurt bad doesn't mean your not affected like the rest of us. So keep coming back for help whenever you need it. If I knew more about TMJ I would tell you about it, but I don't. I also don't suffer near as bad as some people here, but Id like to still think Im a part of it all.

Fighter 09-22-2003 12:21 PM

Thanks Ryleigh I appreciate it....Anyone else?

saaraah 09-23-2003 05:23 AM

fighter - i used to relate to how you're feeling. when i was 12, i was told i bruxed at night, so i was given a nightguard. i didnt really have any jaw symptoms per se, but i had frequent bad migraines and headaches. in fact, ive had migraines since i was 7.

i've been told that headaches in a child are the first symptoms of TMJD.

anyway, i remained "symptom free" [at least concerning my jaw] until i was 18, and i began to have clicking, popping, facial pain, daily pain, etc etc.

- saaraah.

Michelle W 09-23-2003 07:21 AM

I think symptoms can start very mild and progress as time passes. I remember my first symptoms were headaches and neck tension. As time has passed I have developed more clinical symtoms. I think early intervention such as seeing a TMJD dentist and splint therapy can help symptoms from becoming more advanced. I can relate to the anxiety/depression since I suffer also with those symptoms. Take care.