It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2003, 06:37 AM   #1
(female)

missny HB User
Thumbs down Splint Therapy

Hi,
I completed Splint therapy in June I have not been wearing it since. Just recently I have started to have pain again. Is is possible for me to start wearing my splint with out going to the Dentist for adjustments, I do not have the money if he will charge me for more adjustments.

Thanks,

Michele

Old 09-23-2003, 07:21 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

saaraah HB User
what type of splint were you wearing? what other treatments have you done? what are your symptoms?

if you dont have the money for an adjustment, i'd try to see if you could work out a plan with your dentist - who knows, maybe he'll do an adjustment for free.

were you having problems with the splint when you stopped? because if you werent having increased pain or symptoms with it, my suggestion would be to try it again. i guess if you get worse, stop wearing it, and definitely try to get it adjusted.

take care,

- saaraah.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-23-2003, 07:44 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

PINKYPRISCILLA HB User
You should not just stop splint therapy without getting
to the cause of your tmj problems, long term splint therapy is not the answer either.

I would look into another tmj dentist who knows more about jaw alignment/grinding problems.

Good Luck

Old 09-23-2003, 12:50 PM   #4
(female)

missny HB User
Hi,
As far as I know, it is a repositioning splint. My dentist said that I was done with the therapy after 4 months, I was not haveing any problems. The next step he said was to have braces but on I do not have $5000 for them. The only symptom I have is a lot of tightness (I think it is the muscles in spasm) in the TMJ area, my dentist did not really say if i have TMJD or not he just put me in a splint. All that I am certain about is that I have a overbite and a cross bite.

Michele

Old 09-23-2003, 07:02 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

saaraah HB User
well, since you havent even been diagnosed with TMJD, i'd find a good and competent dentist to diagnose you. there could be other things going on instead of TMJD.

also, since your problem is muscle related right now, have you thought about massage therapy or physical therapy?

- saaraah.

Closed Thread