It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2003, 09:21 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

paxy HB User
Post braces

is putting braces a good solution? is it safe? or is it something like surgery which would cause more pain than help?

Old 09-22-2003, 05:42 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

saaraah HB User
there's controversy concerning braces.. some people have developed TMJD while in braces.. others have been helped.

imo, it's better to get the pain under control before doing anything that's irreversible. i believe that braces is a treatment that is not conservative; other avenues should be considered before doing it.

- saaraah.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-22-2003, 07:21 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Michelle W HB User
Hi,

I was told by my orthodontist that your symptoms should be under control before you start moving teeth around. For example, I am wearing a splint at this time and I am not completely comfortable, so moving my teeth around would make me more uncomfortable.

Also a book I read about TMJ says do not move the teeth around until you are completely comfortable with no or minimal symptoms.

Old 09-24-2003, 06:44 AM   #4

lashby HB User
I have had braces, and while my bite is now alligned, I still have symptoms of TMJ. They are only bad when I am under stress, but I do still experience tightness in the muscles, headaches and fullness of the ears. Braces didn't seem to have much of an effect on my TMJ, but my teeth look a lot better!

Closed Thread