It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2003, 07:27 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

PINKYPRISCILLA HB User
Question To:Michelle99

Just wondering did you get your crowns after you wore a
splint?

Old 09-11-2003, 05:27 PM   #2
(female)

Michelle99 HB User
Yes, I wore my NTI before getting my crowns. My condyles repositioned, and my bite opened a little more.

I actually wanted to go through orthodontics rather than getting all the crowns, but the orthodontist wouldn't touch me without orthognathic surgery. I may have been able to find someone who would treat me with just extractions, but I decided I'd rather have crowns than extractions.

I wanted to keep my temps on a little longer to see how they felt, so I've got two more weeks with them. I can't wait to get the porcelain.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-12-2003, 07:18 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

PINKYPRISCILLA HB User
Question

Michelle,

Do you think the temporaries are causing your bite to go
off? Maybe your tmj dentist should equilibriate them so
they are more comfortable (eg shave some tooth surface off in spots that you are hitting)?

[This message has been edited by PINKYPRISCILLA (edited 09-12-2003).]

Old 09-12-2003, 05:20 PM   #4
(female)

Michelle99 HB User
Pinkypriscilla,

My occlusion actually feels good. My dentist was very careful about that. I hope the lab is just as careful!

The only thing that I want different is for the incisors to be brought back a little bit.

Old 09-17-2003, 10:09 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

PINKYPRISCILLA HB User
Question

Michelle,

Just wondering has the crowns helped with your jaw problem?

Old 09-17-2003, 05:18 PM   #6
(female)

Michelle99 HB User
I'm still wearing the temporaries, but so far no help. Before I scheduled the appointment for the crowns, I asked my dentist if we could plan for me to wear my temporaries longer than usual. I just wanted to be sure my jaw could tolerate the changes. I am scheduled to get the permanent crowns next week.

My NTI got rid of a lot of my pain. I'm hoping the crowns will bring it down even more. I feel like I am chewing more effectively though, so that is a plus.

I hope you are doing well.

Old 09-18-2003, 07:07 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

PINKYPRISCILLA HB User
Thanks Michelle for answering my question, because I still am a little skeptical about putting crowns on perfectly good front teeth, but I guess they should support my jaw in the long run.

Are you getting porcelain crowns?

Old 09-18-2003, 05:30 PM   #8
(female)

Michelle99 HB User
Yes, my crowns will be porcelain. I can't wait to get them.

It was really hard for me to decide to go through with the treatment. My dentist had a couple of wax ups done in the lab, and he did a mock up in my mouth before I finally decided to do it. I can't believe he spent so much time with me on it. He told that just because we did all that stuff, it didn't mean I was obligated to anything. I really appreciated that.

I'll let you know how things feel when I get my permanent crowns. My appointment is Thursday.

Old 09-19-2003, 06:32 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

PINKYPRISCILLA HB User
Good Luck on Thursday!!!
Thanks for the info, Its a relief to know someone is going thru the same type of treatment.

I will be starting the crowns in December.

I really just hate to give up perfectly healthy teeth to tmj oh well I guess it will help us in the long run.
I don't like my front 6 teeth anyway, my eye teeth are not pointy anymore from grinding they are worn down and my front teeth have to be a little longer to support my
bite and jaw.
Did you know that BUrt Reynolds had is whole mouth done over with crowns for tmj ? Wow it took him 6 months to do it all.

Old 09-19-2003, 09:42 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

PINKYPRISCILLA HB User
Hi again,

Just wondering while you are doing the crowns, are you still wearing a splint/night guard for grinding?

Old 09-19-2003, 05:30 PM   #11
(female)

Michelle99 HB User
The thought of grinding down healthy teeth kind of freaked me out. Then I reminded myself that I have other crowns, and I don't even give them a second thought.

Do you know if all those crowns helped Burt Reynolds? I'd be in debt for years if I had to do all that.

My dentist made me a special NTI to wear with my temporaries. It really could use another adjustment, but I'm getting a new one Thursday anyhow.

Good luck when you get your crowns. I haven't heard of many people getting them on their front teeth for TMJ problems either. I'm glad to know there is someone else.

Old 09-25-2003, 07:04 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

PINKYPRISCILLA HB User
bump up for Literati

Old 09-25-2003, 08:25 AM   #13
Veteran

Literati HB User
Where are the crowns placed? On your upper front teeth or lower front teeth? If its the upper front...is there any way you could have got them on the lower front so it wouldn't be so apparent that you have crowns?

Old 09-25-2003, 08:41 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

PINKYPRISCILLA HB User
It really depends on your certain bite problems as to where the crowns should go, for me, I had braces 10 years ago, they closed my bite but I never addressed my jaw problems so my jaw moved, discs are out and I have an overbite again. Also I had the six teeth bonded in the front bonded , then I was getting married so I had them rebonded to take out the stains but the dentist made my bite worse, and put really cheap thin bonding material he did such a bad job, made my front teeth stick out even more. I don't want to go thru the whole ortho thing again so this was a good option, even though Im sad to give up my "real teeth" . A good dentist should match up the color of the crowns to your other teeth. However, you can whiten you other teeth to match the crowns

Old 09-25-2003, 09:47 AM   #15
Senior Veteran

Ouch-ear-pain HB User
You have to get crowns before you wear a splint? What if you have an overbite??

I never heard of this before!!??

EAR*~*~*~*~ http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/gabby.gif

Closed Thread