It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2003, 12:34 PM   #1

mamaslittlehelper HB User
Post Normal activities while wearing a slint...

I was wondering if it was Ok to drink and smoke (my very bad habit, but hey, I don't have many left!!)while I am wearing my splint (the kind that fits over my lower bottom teeth)??? If I take it out and wash it often, that should be OK...any advice???

Old 09-24-2003, 09:38 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Michelle W HB User
Well, I do drink a couple of beers or a couple glasses of wine especially on a bad TMJ day. I have seen no problems with it affecting my splint.

I do not smoke, so I can't help you there. I gave that up about 20 years ago.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-25-2003, 06:34 AM   #3

LOL Michele, I didn't mean drinking alcohol...I just meant drinking anything in general! I take my splint out alot during the day to drink and when I smoke a cigarette and then forget to put it back in...I'm trying to leave it on as much as possible now! I guess it should be OK as it does already have alot of grinding damage to it and will probably have to be replaced anyway! TC!

Old 09-25-2003, 06:40 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

saaraah HB User
i'd be worried that the toxic cigarette smoke could damage the acrylic over time.. or, at least, it could discolour it, i imagine.

i hope you're not offended - but i think it's funny that you're more worried about hurting the splint but not your health or lungs.

- saaraah.

Old 09-25-2003, 08:43 AM   #5

Saaraah... You would probably find it equally funny that I'm also having financial problems and still continue to throw away money on packs of cigarettes! It's a very nasty habit...agreed...but I refuse to try to quit at this time! I have tried to quit 3-times without any luck and the last time I tried at one of the most stressful times in my life and got suicidal...unfortunately I am again at a very stressful time and just can't put myself in anymore stress! Non-smokers or people who were lucky enough to have the willpower to quit are very quick to judge those of us who cannot summon up the willpower to quit and alot of the time we are made to feel like criminals! It is an addiction and I know it is bad for my health (and wallet!)...maybe someday when I am feeling better and have gained back some of my strength and willpower I will give it a try again...till then I guess my splint and my lungs will have to suffer! Maybe that was a stupid question for me to ask, but how about some compassion here...I'm miserable enough!

Old 09-25-2003, 10:38 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

saaraah HB User
mamaslittlehelper - i agree 100% with you about how difficult it is to quit smoking; it's insanely difficult from what i've heard.

anyway, i wish you the best with everything

take care,

- saaraah.

Old 09-25-2003, 11:45 AM   #7

TY Saaraah and you TC too!

Closed Thread