It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2003, 09:29 AM   #1
Senior Veteran

Ouch-ear-pain HB User
Talking Anyone who wears a splint.....

Hiya,
I was wondering if you all could tell me how your splint fits on your teeth. Like if it's invisalign looking and stuff like that thanks!!

Old 09-25-2003, 09:56 AM   #2

mamaslittlehelper HB User
Hi Ouch! Mine fits over my lower teeth only...it is made out of clear, molded, flexable plastic...I was told to wear it during the night and as much during the day as possible...also to take it out and wash it often with soapy water and to soak in mouthwash sometimes to make it taste better (yuk!) Are you being fitted for one or just thinking about it? I am still quite new at all this...been wearing mine for almost 3-weeks now with no results yet! I am going to give it another 3-weeks, try to wear it more often during the day and take more medication to reduce the inflamation...hope this helps you out! TC!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-25-2003, 10:49 AM   #3
Senior Veteran

Ouch-ear-pain HB User
Well let's see, I am going to the dentist today to see if my jaw is thrown off, even a little bit. They are then gonna give me a referral and I have to call the place that will make my splint once I get my referral sheet. I am however wondering how splints fit. I was just wondering because I wanted to know if they are hard to get used to, if they slurr your speech, and those types of things. I do hope I get a splint though. Take Care

Old 09-25-2003, 11:40 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

saaraah HB User
in the beginning, your speech can be slurred or sound like you have a lisp, but you can adapt. i'd rather sound funny and have no pain, eh?

- saaraah.

Old 09-25-2003, 11:45 AM   #5

mamaslittlehelper HB User
Ouch...yes, I think they are hard to get used to, but once you wear it for awhile...about a week...it's not too bad! They do make your speech slur, but that is also something that takes time to get used to...I usually take mine out if I am going to the store or somewhere where I know I'll be talking to others...I did wear mine one day to the store and I think the fella in there thought I had been drinking because of my slurring! LOL! The way I see it, if this thing actually helps me and gets rid of all these symptoms...it's worth all the time and trouble! Good luck to you and TC!

Old 09-25-2003, 03:00 PM   #6

paintitbetter HB User
Hey Ouch, I've been wearing a splint that fits to my top teeth 24/7 for two years now. At first I thought, how am I ever going to get use to wearing this thing. My friends gave me the nick name *slushy* because I talked with a lisp. But you get use to it. Now you would never know I was wearing it. I'm suppose to eat with mine, so I have even wore it to five star restaurants, without a problem. Now it feels funny when I'm not wearing it.

~Mark~

Old 09-25-2003, 05:30 PM   #7
Senior Veteran

TiffanyAnn HB User
Hi Ouch:
If you get a lower splint it's much easier to talk with than the upper splint is. You can get used to the upper splint but it takes longer. If possible try getting a lower splint.
Tiffany

Closed Thread