It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2003, 07:46 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

PINKYPRISCILLA HB User
Question CROWNS FOR TMJ?

Hi Guys,

Just wondering if anyone out there had to get crowns on put on their teeth for tmj?

My tmj dentist recommends crowns on my front teeth because my front teeth don't touch.

Old 09-05-2003, 08:01 PM   #2
Veteran

mdla HB User
My neuro said this might be an option for me for phase 2 of treatment because my back teeth wont touch. I would be interested to know as well if anyone has had this done.

Ive heard stories about how crowns done improperly can cause TMJ.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-06-2003, 04:17 AM   #3
Veteran

Jill J HB User
Hey Priscilla......long time no "see". How are you?

I haven't heard about crowns being used but I just had 2 put in on my back top molars (I needed them after root canal) and I can tell you that has eased alot of my TMJ. I know my TMJ was from a filling that was too high in one of them so the crowns were a welcome relief. I don't see why it wouldn't work. I'm interested to find out myself.

Jill

Old 09-06-2003, 05:23 AM   #4
(female)

Michelle99 HB User
Pinkypriscilla,

I am in the process of getting crowns on my front teeth now. (Actually, they are not all full crowns. He conserved some tooth structure.) I'm wearing the temporaries now.

I did it to help close my anterior open bite and to get some function out of my canines. We waited until my condyles had settled into place and my pain was well under control.

I won't know for sure if I'm really happy about it until I get my permanent restorations. My temporary incisors stick out a little more than I like, so the dentist has asked the lab to make my bite more edge to edge than the temporaries. It was also kind of a shock to see myself with longer teeth, but it doesn't seem that anyone notices. Only the people that know I did it even looked at them.

If you have any questions I may be able to answer, please let me know.

Best wishes.

Old 09-06-2003, 06:57 AM   #5

ohioan HB User
I had crowns put on my front teeth,(improperly) that's when my TMJD started.

Old 09-08-2003, 06:58 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

PINKYPRISCILLA HB User
Question

Hi,

Just wondering how were the crowns put on improperly?
Usually a good tmj dentist should evaluate your bite and figure out the proper position of the teeth and then make sure that you are biting equally on all side of your teeth. My tmj dentist uses colored paper and he tells me to bite down and then he check to see if I am biting equally all around.

Old 09-08-2003, 07:05 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

PINKYPRISCILLA HB User
Hey Jill

So you have gotten some relief from tmj from the
dental work ?

Michelle99:
It sounds like I am getting the same kind of work on my
front teeth. He wants to put in 6 crowns (including the eye teeth) which I have ground down from tmj and he wants to then equilibrate my bite again. In the meanwhile,
I am wearing a retainer type splint that kind of helps me bite more equally until I get the crowns done.

Well until I get my new chompers I'll be wearing this splint......yuk.....

THey are so expensive but I hope worth it

Old 09-08-2003, 01:48 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

PINKYPRISCILLA HB User
Question

question for Michelle99

Old 09-08-2003, 06:02 PM   #9
(female)

Michelle99 HB User
Hi Pinkypriscilla,

Yes, it sounds like our treatments are similar. I'm getting 8 crowns. Four of the teeth already had crowns and one had an onlay, so that helped ease some of the trauma for me. I didn't wear my teeth down. My bite opened more after using NTI.

The temporaries feel weird. They are all connected together, so if I tap one tooth, I feel it five teeth away.

When do you think you are going to get your crowns? It's a long appointment, but your dentist will probably give you breaks like mine did.

Good luck to you.

Michelle

Old 09-10-2003, 06:19 AM   #10

ohioan HB User
My crowns were put on improperly in that a ridge was left between the base of the crowns and my gums(unsure of the technical term for this)also the dentist inserted the posts into teeth that were way too soft to hold them in place, which resulted in them falling off. This resulted in TMJD because of my jaw having to close differently due to these missing teeth.

Old 09-10-2003, 06:51 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

PINKYPRISCILLA HB User
Question

Thanks for the replys :

Just wondering, Michelle you said that you have temporaries? and they are connected? Is this a "bridge"
Also was there anything wrong with you r teeth other than the open bite that required the crowns ?

Old 09-10-2003, 06:58 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

PINKYPRISCILLA HB User
Ohioan:

Just wondering did you get the crowns done to relieve
the tmj? or just because you needed them?

My crowns are the next treatment phase that my tmj
dentist recommends.

Also did you correct the misaligned crowns ?

Old 09-10-2003, 07:00 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

PINKYPRISCILLA HB User
Ohioan:

Just wondering did you get the crowns done to relieve
the tmj? or just because you needed them?

My crowns are the next treatment phase that my tmj
dentist recommends.

Also did you correct the misaligned crowns ?

Old 09-10-2003, 05:56 PM   #14
(female)

Michelle99 HB User
Hi Pinkypriscilla,

I don't have a bridge. When I get my permanent crowns, I will have 8 separate units. When my dentist made the temporaries, he took a mold that the lab made and filled it with plastic gunk. He put the mold on my teeth and let the plastic harden. It comes out as one piece with 8 teeth in it.

I already had four crowns, and we replaced them. Three of them were about 25 years old, and it was definitely time to replace them. On three of the teeth without crowns, he didn't really do full crowns. He conserved some tooth structure in the back. They are more like crowns than veneers though.

We lengthened my teeth so they would function better. I don't feel like my temporary incisors are functioning well enough, so I talked to my dentist about it. He called the lab and asked them to make a change. I'll see when I get the permanents if it is any better.

Best wishes.

Old 09-10-2003, 07:05 PM   #15

Natacha HB User
Crowns on your front teeth that don't touch, to cure TMJ.......... I have never seen that suggested as a solution to TMJ. Especially if those teeth do not touch........... TMJ disfunction is cause from grinding excessively, clenching excessively or an uneven bite. None of those would apply to teeth that are not in occlusion, I would be very wary of this suggested method of treatment. Ask your dentist how he/she feels about a Therma-Flex splint that you can wear at night or in that day at times. There are new bite openers available too that hold your jaw open during the day and they sit on the back teeth, where you can't see them, and you can still speak clearly with them in. If your teeth do not meet in the front, inmost case there would need to be oprthodontic treatment to acheive occlusion, so the crown thing just makes no sense to me.

Closed Thread