jamie - i was wondering how you're feeling, and if you're noticing more improvements with your splint..
i get my splint in only 4 days.. oh man. im excited yet very frightened. i really dont know how i'll cope with the disappointment if this splint doesnt work, since every other treatment ive done, i have failed. ergh.
btw, i asked dr. rondeau how long it takes to see effects from a new splint, and he said that it really depends on the person. some see results immediately, and for others, it may take weeks or months. he seemed to believe that he can know pretty soon if it's not going to work for the person, tho.
I can't say I haven't noticed any improvement, I have... just not in the area where I want there to be improvement.
Here's what I notice:
- I am not snoring anymore (I wear a splint on the top of my mouth at night, as opposed to the bottom one I wear during the day)
- I am not waking up in the middle of the night 4 or 5 times. I usually see the clock 4 or 5 times a night, in the past 2 weeks I have woken up maybe once, and it was due to a noise I heard.
That's it. Negatives:
- My Hyperacusis seems WORSE!!! Noises don't cause me pain, they just annoy me. People dropping keys on a table, stuff like that.. makes me cringe and jump. I HATE IT!
- I still get the stuffed up ear in my right ear
- I am having more musles spasms around my temple/ear area as of late
I am HOPING that these negatives are part of the old saying "Before it gets better, it has to get worse"
I wore muscian ear plugs last night at my concert (my b-day present). The only ear problems I had was the mild aching of my ears rejecting a forgien object in them (these plugs went in pretty deep, but worked great! I hear everything 100% clear)
Anyways, it was all old people and here I am am putting ear plugs in my ears, and pulling a splint out of my mouth for a second to chew on a handful of skittles offered to me... I had some old lady beside me looking at me, as if I was an 80 year old man trapped in a 24 year old's body...
My ears are super-sensitive today, not sure if that's linked. As I said, I felt fine and I had the NORMAL level of Tinnitus last night at bed time. SO....
The search for a diagnosis is long and painful...
I don't mean to butt in here but, you really should be careful about eating something as chewy as Skittles - even a handful of them. I know it's tempting but chewy things like that, even in small amounts can have disastrous consequences sometimes.