It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2003, 03:08 AM   #1

looney HB User
Unhappy Lots of Pain - Need Serious Help

Dear group,

I have been having terrible muscle spasm, which has led to TMJ symptoms over the past 9 months.

My jaw muscles are very tense, I have a lot of pain and tightness around my temples, scalp, base of skull and neck. I grind and clench at night.

My pain is now so severe and constant, that I'm truly scared I'm in big trouble. I have an appointment with an orthodontist next Friday, and I think he'll probably fit me with something for grinding at night, but people I sure hope it helps.

I also went for myofascial release treatment this week, and intra-oral work too, and this seemed to help initially, but now, a day later, I feel worse than ever, like maybe it made me sore.

I cannot take medications due to my hypersensitivity to them.

What can I do? What should I ask the orthodontist for, and what kind of splint would help me? Do the night splints help with all this muscle spasm? Do all of you also suffer from this kind of pain and spasm? I'm having a lot of nausea now too with this pain.

Please, please help. I feel like there is no way out of this - that I'm stuck with this pain because I don't want to take meds. I also don't want to do the TENS thing for the NM splint, so maybe no one will make one for me.

I need help. I don't know how much longer I can go on with this kind of pain. I would really like to talk to somebody here who has experience and can lend some support. Is there anyone out there I could talk to - maybe by phone?

I'm so desperate. I'm in tears with this pain, and I can't believe the run-around I've gotten with the insurance companies, etc. I've been trying to get this taken care of since last June. I feel so sick, and every day I have so much muscle pain. It gets to the point where I can't turn my head because my neck is so tight, and looking down - no way. I hope I'm just really sore from the myofascial therapy this week, because it seems worse now than ever.

I have an overbite and I am a grinder/clencher. I am 31 years old, female, and I had no problems at all with TMJ until I came off Klonopin too abruptly. When I did that, all my muscles tightened and spasmed, and within a couple of months my jaw started clicking. It has become much worse since then.

If there is anyone out there who has worked through their TMJ and found some relief who has had this kind of muscle spasm, please, please help me. I don't know where to turn or what to do. My fear is that this night splint won't be enough. If pain is any indicator of how bad the condition has progressed, then I'm in big, big trouble. And yet, how is that possible, when I've only had symptoms for 9 months?

I hope somebody out there would be willing to talk with me about this. I could really, really use some support. I had no idea this condition could get this bad.

Thanks,

Looney

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-26-2003, 05:31 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

saaraah HB User
looney - have you considered acupuncture? maybe that could be a drug-free treatment to help you out.

last summer, i was getting treated inconjunction by my massage therapist and osteopath, and it was extremely painful after the treatments. i found, tho, that things got better - there was an initial hump to get over.

take care.. dont give up.

- saaraah.

Old 09-29-2003, 09:10 PM   #3

Isobelj HB User
Looney, I've been offline some days and am trying to catch up with reading posts here, and had to reply to yours as I got to it. I really sympathize with what you are going through, I've been there too and panic often, but perhaps I can give some reassurance too as though I've had all your symptoms I'm experiencing relief now. I've had (I think) tmj (diagnosed anyway)for a bit over two months, though for a few years I've had shoulder and neck tension (though not jaw ear or head pain or probs) which could been early lesser warning signs. I took a ten day course of muscle relaxants and frankly I don't feel they made much difference, pains in my head decreased which was good (but also they began returning even when I was taking the medication) but the 'muzziness', ear noises and nausea remained in greater or lesser degree, I'm sensitive to meds too and choose to try not to take anything if poss, so I just stopped them. I kind of want to see how I feel without masking anything and then to deal with that, the causes of the symptoms, if I possibly can.

But heat and cold pressed on my jaw and ears has helped me, plus just trying to relax and to stay quiet, away from noise or vibration (like car vibration). I stopped drinking caffiene, I like to think that could have helped too. Starting to wear a bite splint at night (last week) has also helped. I can't pinpoint just what could have done the most good, and my symptoms shift a lot, but I have had incredible tightness of my neck and shoulders to the point of being unable to turn my head also, plus back pain and loud unbearable ear rumbling (non stop for 7 weeks), and spasmings and pulsings which I dread. All of it is frightening. But for about two weeks I've been feeling better, some days I feel actually normal but for a little tightness around my neck and some unusual clickings in my neck. I think the night splint does help relieve morning 'muzziness' and muscle spasms too. Does anything in particular trigger your experiencing spasms have you noticed? With me its noise or vibration that does it so I try really hard to avoid both if I possibly can. I get so frustrated when I can't control elements in my environment which I know could cost me some very uncomfortable hours or days, but anyway, I have noticed improvement recently so there is hope, even with symptoms which are alarming and seem so bad, I hope this can help a bit .

Isobel

[This message has been edited by Isobelj (edited 09-30-2003).]

Closed Thread