It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2003, 07:15 PM   #1
Inactive

Elaine HB User
Post More interesting news!!!!! UGGH!

I have been reading an article, "Twenty Years Experience in Treating Hypermobility of the Temporomandibular Joints by Louis W. Schultz, MD, DDS. Now what is interesting about this article is, it was read at the annual meeting of the American Society of Maxillofacial Surgeons, on March 19, 1956 in New Orleans.

He states:
Various types of treatment used in the past and still employed by some operators appear to be unsatisfactory. Surgery is one. Among its disadvantages and dangers are resultant scars and the rather great physical difficulties encountered in removing the carilaginous disc.
Scarcely less formidable is the placing of mattress sutures in the capsule. Other complications are possible, including facial paralysis on the side involved or permanent salivary fistula if the partoid gland is injured. The proximity of the external maxillary artery and veins adds to the hazards and ankylosis may result, caused particularly by infection incident to the operation. The loss of vertical dimension and disturbance to the occlusion cause a marked discomfort that many patients complain of
bitterly. The removal of the head of the condyle for the average hypermobile, clicking and painful temporomandibular joint is not to be considered.

This whole article can be found in the American Journal of Surgery Volume 92, December of 1956 pp 925-928

What I find interesting is, here is a guy way back in 1956 saying do not do surgery on tmj joints to OMS's at their annual meeting, was everyone in the room sleeping while he was talking or was it just too profitable and they decided to ignore his statements and just perform surgeries anyways.. or did they think oh this doesn't apply, only applies to hypermobile tmj joints... Anyways, this is what 20 or 30 years before most of you had your surgeries and this guy knew the complications of surgeries to tmj joints..
I was really disgusted when I read "when" he wrote this. Years before any of us had surgeries, just couldn't believe the date of this article was 1956 and they knew for decades, surgeries are not a fix for tmjd.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-30-2003, 03:24 AM   #2
Veteran

mdla HB User
Wow!!! This really makes me think. I really believe that it has something to do w. marketing. Drug companies and surgeons are quick to educate other doctors, using their money, on things that make money. Until there is a treatment that both works and is profitable the sad thing is many will not learn, not because they do not seek the knowledge, just becaues there is so much medical information today with such a wide range of diseases they simply do not have the time unless its shoved in their faces. Its much like the media, movie studios spend millions on publicity efforts just to make writers, reporters and assignment editors aware of their movies because there are so many movies that they dont have time unless the studio does the reporting for them and delivers it in a pretty media kit with ready to go clips on beta. I think its the same thing, NIH can do reseach until they are blue in the face but until there is money designated for AWARENESS to doctors and the public TMJ surgery and patients in pain will continue to exist.

Old 11-26-2003, 07:37 PM   #3
Senior Veteran

DianeTMJ HB User
Re: More interesting news!!!!! UGGH!

Bump for Tia

Closed Thread