It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2003, 02:42 PM   #1

Al4 HB User
Post To Cymy Sue

I do not remember if you ever gave information that responds to the following tennitus questions. After you started wearing your splint, did your tennitus improve progressively and very slowly, or suddenly, or up and down for a while before it stopped being bothersome? Of course we are all different, but I just want an idea of the type of changes that your tennitus went through while improving. Thank you very much for the info. Alex

Old 09-30-2003, 01:54 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

Cymy Sue HB User
Alex,
Within the first couple of weeks the almost constant "Jet Roar" was gone. It turned into a loud hissing noise that fluctuated. After about a month, the noise level went down, still fluctuating. Some days I had it, somedays not at all.

It almost went completely away. Now that the muscles in my face have relaxed and most symtoms are gone or almost gone, it only comes back when I'm stressed or tense. It never comes back as bad as it was. It's tolerable.

With the back problems I've had and especially with my Mother's health declining, the days I get really nervous and worried (stressed & tense) it comes and goes.

When I realize I'm hearing noise, I also realize I have my facial muscles tensed.

In my case, I absolutely believe it's muscular, as I was told. I decided yesterday to start wearing the splint longer everyday, since I am in a tense situation most of the time right now.

The splint I have, relaxed muscles in my face (very quickly) that had been clenched and in spasm for years. The worst of the Tinnitus went away.

I have to remember that years of habit, consciously, and factors that I had no control over had caused this problem. I assume it will be an ongoing process to learn "not" to tense up my facial muscles with stress.

Even with stress, the noise has not come back to untolerable levels that invade my life and drive me crazy.

If Tinnitus is caused by muscle tighness and spasms, it can be contolled or go away completely.

To answer your question, I had very little noise after about 2 months.

I hope this helps you,
Cymy Sue

[This message has been edited by Cymy Sue (edited 09-30-2003).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-30-2003, 07:59 AM   #3

Al4 HB User
Thank you Cymy Sue. Your response helps a lot. I will print it for comparison purposes.

As you might know, my bad tennitus and vertigo started about 1 and 1/2 years ago after one dental implant surgery. The vertigo is very rare, but the tennitus has caused havoc in my life. I am still not convinced they are TMJ-related, but the implant dentist insisted that they were. He sent me down this TMJ path, although I had no jaw symptoms. He may have his own objectives for doing that (you know how much I trust some of these dentists.) I have been wearing my new neuro splint for a little more than a week, but it has not affected the tennitus so far. I am also going for physical therapy. Iíll give it some time and see if they help with the tinnitus.

I wish you the best and hope things improve for your mother and you at home. Alex

Closed Thread