It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2003, 07:49 PM   #1

kata HB User
Post removing CHRISTENSEN PROSTHESIS jaw implant

Wondering if anyone else has had a problem with this implant. My doctor has performed many and said never has he ever had to remove one before. Also never had a patient who had trauma three months after having one done. He is on staff with several hospitals, a director, also runs residency program and teaches implant surgery.

My story:
I had a bone spur and an enlarge condyle so they did a full jaw (titanium) replacement top/bottom left side. (I have no disk and they removed the top of my condyle). Three months later I was in a car accident and had contusion to face and head. I have been in bad pain and only getting worse - its been about 9 mths. They kept giving me more medications, xrays, cat scans and would say lets give it more time. Cant tell if it is damaged. Looks ok from reports. I have tried analgesic injections that did nothing.

The pain is so bad that they have now decided to remove the implant. The doctor thinks I will be fine without it. I am concerned because some of the condyle is missing. He said worst case when I open full I may deviate to one side - maybe. I just cant take the pain - it is so bad.

I was not in this kind of pain before the surgery. Had pain but not like this. Besides temple pain, my ears feel like a wind storm is blowing threw them that it actually hurts to talk or hear, neck, head, face pain and getting numb spots in the face. I did have whiplash from the accident also. They say I may also have neuralgia. I have seen two neurologist, two oral surgeons. Gets fustrating when you are in pain all the time. My pain seems to be coming from the area next to my ear. When you touch it (spasm) you can actually feel something hard and bony - top implant. My doctor did say it is possible the screws may have come out a little and they cant be seen from the xrays. The pain medication doesn't do much of anything except turn you into a zombie. It is all referred pain they tell me. The worst spot is by the ear.

My doctor is trying to schedule the surgery for this coming tuesday.

If anyone has anything they can share please post. Thank you and feel better everyone.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-16-2003, 08:15 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

TiffanyAnn HB User
Hi kata:
I don't have any information about your upcoming surgery but I did want to tell you that I am so sorry you are in such pain. So many who have had surgery are in worse pain now than before they had surgery, that's why I refuse to allow surgery. But I wanted to wish you Good Luck on your upcoming surgery and I sure hope it gets you out of pain. Pain can drive a person nuts.
Tiffany

Old 05-16-2003, 09:16 PM   #3
Inactive

Elaine HB User
Kata,
If you read the TMJ Reality thread, you will read about my problems with the Christensen. Saves me from re-writing it all. My jaw never did open right after any of my surgeries, it has always deviated to the right. I am at the point now, that I know the implant needs to be removed but I keep stalling because I recently had back surgery and not ready to be cut on some more. I guess I am to the point where I have had enough. The only thing I can honestly say, is I will feel better just knowing this implant is out of my head. I have never known what a real headache is like, until after this piece of garbage was put in. I lost way to much weight this last year from puking headaches and that was what the implant was suppose to help or so I was told. I found out later if you are having surgery for pain, you may be very disappointed but it is one of the sellers for TMJ surgery,promising pain relief. I have crunching sounds like a gravel pit everytime I move my jaw. My jaw hangs up and I have to pop it to get it to release, this is a sign that the screws have come loose. I know of several who have had nothing but problems with the Christensen and had them removed or are having them removed. Hope things work out for you...
Take care,
Elaine
PS.I still post on here from time to time but have a lot going on in my life right now and things are tough. I am not ready to lose my mom, but it is going to happen and nothing I can do about it but
CRY and be "there" to help her while she is still here.

Old 05-16-2003, 11:34 PM   #4

kata HB User
Thank you both for taking the time to reply. It does mean allot that people are out there and can relate and care.

Elaine, about your mom, I am sorry and good luck to
both of you. I will look for your post regarding tmj
You have allot going on, stay strong.

TiffanyAnn I hope you feel better. Are the doctors suggesting you have the implant?

[This message has been edited by kata (edited 05-17-2003).]

Old 05-17-2003, 07:23 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

totallyconfused HB User
Elaine,

I am so sorry about your mom. I hope you have as much time with her as possible. You are both in my prayers.
My thoughts are with you.

[This message has been edited by totallyconfused (edited 10-28-2003).]

Old 05-17-2003, 09:44 AM   #6

kata HB User
You take pills to sleep, pills for pain...pills and more pills. I stopped taking xanax about 3 weeks ago - maybe that is why I am in such terrible pain. I was taking that and pain medication and topomax. Now just taking percocet.

I was taking topamax for two months (11/02-1/03) and the doctor stopped it (didnt wean me off) because I had bronchitis and was taking other medicatins. About 8 days later my OS put me on vioxx and allegra trying to clear up my sinusis. Within a few days I ended up in the ER unable to breath, gasping for air. They said I was having panic attacks. So when I recently started topamax again the breathing problems had resolved and I no longer needed xanax so I stopped it, but maybe that is why I am in allot of pain. That does relax the muscles. But you get so tired of pills. I have been on allot of other in the past two years. Feel like a pill factory. One doctor told me that the neurologist that stopped the topomax should have weaned me off and since he didnt that could be why I had panic attacks???

I will say I had jaw surgery 1985 (lower jaw both sides to reconstruct from an accident on a bike when I was 8) and I was fine up till 2000 when the headaches started from the bone spur on my left condyle. I always had popping and headaches, but nothing like this. Wish I could go back in time and never had this implant put in. I just hope that I will do fine without it. But like everyone else at that time I thought that pain was horrible and had hoped the implant would have helped. My doctor said if not for the car accident I would be fine.

This is where I get confused. I read these posts, which I am glad I have found everyone. My doctor is on with several hospitals (dir/chief, runs residence program and also teaches implants) he said he has never taken one out. Also said never had anyone who had a trauma afterwards.

Can everyone that has this implant feel something by their ear? I do have the full prosthesis - but the top part most of you have. Can you feel it and if so does it hurt? To the point it radiates pain? My doctor said the screws may have come loose and that will not show on films. Just had xrays and cat scan and thank God everything looks good.

The sugery was almost six hours (10 months ago) he said it will not be as long. Trying not to get scared. I know we all do when we have surgery.

Old 05-17-2003, 09:59 AM   #7

kata HB User
Elaine,

Hang in there. I lost my dad last year - very long sad story and I am so sorry for what you may be going threw.

Try to bare with me for my miss spells - just the pain medication making me screwy.

What stinks with TMJ is that crying and stress just flare it up - BUT it is not something we have control over in times like these.

I have been browsing the posts and I read you also have something going on with your back and all due to a car accident. I am sorry. Keep your faith strong and ask for strength for you and your mom. You certainly deserve it.

Old 05-17-2003, 10:09 AM   #8
Inactive

Elaine HB User
Kata,
I bumped the other Christensen thread up so you could find it. There is three pages on it, with people who also have the implant. I personally think you can live without a disc. I have always wondered, what is the difference if you have bone against bone or bone against metal. Both are going to cause deterioration. The TMJ is one of the most used joints in the body but yet it seems to be one that doctors know the least about. They operate on a wish and a prayer, hoping for a good outcome but so far, I haven't seen many.
Take care and good luck.

Cathleen,
We lost my father-in-law last month due to cancer.That is a horrible painful death. My mom has COPD and it is killing me to watch her struggle with it. She is such a fighter and not ready to go yet but I think her battle is about over. I can't imagine life without my mother, she has always been my best friend. Thanks for the kind thoughts.
Elaine

Old 05-17-2003, 11:23 AM   #9
Inactive

Charlene HB User
Hi Kata
My name is Charlene, I'm very sorry that you are having so much pain, pain is the worst to live through believe me I know very well all about it from past experience.
If I read your posting right, (quoted below) you did not have problems with your implant until after your car accident right?
The car accident could of caused some damage to your implant, loose screws among other problems, hense that is why you are having so much pain now. Did your Doctor mention this scenario to you?? You know when things get broken, they dont work right, maybe this could be the problem and causing your bad pain!! I was just curious if this is your situtaion.
I hope that your doctor can help you, and soon relieve your pain ASP. Just know that we are all here for you and wish you the very best always.
Take Care and God speed
Charlene

(quote by Kata)
I had a bone spur and an enlarge condyle so they did a full jaw (titanium) replacement top/bottom left side. (I have no disk and they removed the top of my condyle). Three months later I was in a car accident and had contusion to face and head. I have been in bad pain and only getting worse - its been about 9 mths.

[This message has been edited by Charlene (edited 05-17-2003).]

Old 05-17-2003, 11:27 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

totallyconfused HB User
Elaine,

I am also extremely close to my mom. I am SO sorry. Again, I will keep you both in my prayers. Please try to be strong. I know it is just so hard.

Old 05-17-2003, 11:33 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

totallyconfused HB User
Kata,

I hope that your doctor will be able to help you. Unlike the others I don't have any words of wisdom for you, I just wanted to let you know there are many on this board pulling for you. Also, I am very sorry to hear about your dad.

Old 05-17-2003, 03:27 PM   #12

kata HB User
Dear Charlene,

Prior to the surgery I did have the bad headaches, but nothing like now. The headaches started slowly around 2000 left side of my head. My condyle had gotten enlarged with a bone spur (bone on bone) they said diagnosed with that august 2001. It took months for insurance to approve the surgery then the implant had to be grown.

After surgery I was doing well with the implant actually almost down to 1-2 pain killers a day (for the pt work)and some days I was fine without pain medication. Yes the problem started from the accident which was about a little over 3 1/2 months later. I immediatly swelled (left side of face implant) and my lip drooped and was in great pain which just gets worse. For a while the pain was tolerable but now just gets worse. I drove an suv - the seatbelt locked close to the bottom of my jaw - hitting and pushing it (on my bottom incision area. Maybe it made the bottom implant push on the top implant.

My pain is so bad some days it is like I have a wind storm in my left ear. Hurts to talk or hear - then the cheek bone, jaw, head,hair and neck pain. It all radiates all over the head. 24/7.

All along I have been having xrays and cat scan which a neurologist and my OS have been reviewing. The reports all say the same thing - all ok and the implant is where it is suppose to be. I recently went to a pain and headache clinic. They thought it was trigeminal neuralgia. Just give you more medications. I was to go back the end of the month and then they were going to try botox or steroid injections if the new medications did nothing.

He is taking the implant out this week (trying to schedule it) he feels the pain will go away and said I may do fine without the implant. He thinks it is the top implant causing the pain. I know that when I touch the top implant it radiates pain and I constantly have tender temple (left side). If I need another it has to be grown - custom fit. Which will mean another surgery. I dont want another. After reading some of these post I must say I am not considering another implant. For months the top implant had hurt (temple) but then a few weeks ago the bottom was really bad to the point I couldnt chew. But all the pain is coming from the top - because that pain is always there.

He said it could be a loose screw which will not show up on films (sounds crazy to me since we have xrays and cat scan) but he said where it is located you cant see from the films. Something is bony and oh does it hurt if you touch it. Been like this since the accident.

So I will have no disc or condyle on one side - as long as the pain is better that is fine with me. I dont care if I deviate to one side - its the pain.

I have a friend who's dad had an implant in his foot (different) but he was having bad pain so they removed it and he is fine without an implant. That gives me hope that I wont need another.

My doctor works in city hospitals in NY and he has performed surgery on just about every type of situations such as gun shot to the face and so on. He has never had to remove one but also said no one ever suffered trauma afterwards. He thinks the car accident injured the implant (that was a concern from the time I had the accident). For months he has thought that but had to wait to see.

Thank you for your kind words. Glad I found this board. I was on others but I must say you guys/gals are the best. Very understanding and kind. We all need that, especially when we are scared.

Do you know anyone who has had the implant removed?
You said you know about pain from past experience, does this mean you are better? Please post

thanks

Old 05-17-2003, 03:38 PM   #13

kata HB User
Cathleen,
Thank you so much for your kind words. Do you suffer from tmj also? How are you?

Elaine,
I read the three pages last night and this morning. Interesting stuff. Thanks for pushing it up.

I will have no disk or condyle (space) but you know what - I dont care as long as the pain is better. I just dont care. I told my husband to call the circus because I will be the freak show.......yes it is depressing, but I would rather my face went to one side than be in pain. My doctor said "it may deviate when open fully" - it may - not that it will. Open fully - havent opened fully in a long time. But what ever - just please make me feel better.

thanks

Old 05-17-2003, 04:24 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

totallyconfused HB User
Kata,

Yes I do have a disorder of the TMJ as well. However, I do not suffer the way that you do. I have various symptoms and pains, but have just started undergoing splint therapy. Mainly I just want to make sure I don't get worse. Enough about me. You are the one that is really suffering right now. I certainly hope this doctor is right about the implant needing to be taken out and that your pain will be gone when it is out.

Old 05-17-2003, 10:39 PM   #15

kata HB User
Cathleen,
I had popping both sides for years and I only wish that was the only problem. I will say that when I ate around people I would wonder if they heard it.

My right side pops but I dont care about that - it is the pain that is the problem.

Good luck with your splint therapy.

I dont know much about it only the type I had. For years off and on I would get a new one I would pust it out of my mouth. I have tried it again a few months ago but it would make my teeth ache - so I stopped using it.

Closed Thread