It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2003, 11:37 AM   #1

lastoria HB User
Post To those of you who have swallowing problems...

Can you try to describe the problem? Is it when swallowing food, drink, or nothing (or all of the above). Does it feel like muscle type of pain, or like a sore throat (scratchy/dry)

The reason I ask is that I am having very few TMJ symtoms, but a major problem with swallowing. I have an appointment with my dentist this Friday, and want to be prepared to discuss this with him.

My suspected TMJ symptoms:

*Swallowing difficulty- When I dry swallow several times I feel a lump or clicking on the left side of my throat near the Adam's apple. It is more prominent when I pay close attention to it or when I am forcing myself to swallow. Also noticed that one of the main muscles running along the neck on that side is slightly tender to the touch.

Tired jaw
Clench teeth when sleeping and when concentrating
Headaches
Grinding noise in jaw, sometimes popping noise

My main concern is the swallowing issue. Does this sound similar to what others have experienced when they say they have swallowing problems with TMJ?

Please provide whatever detail you can. Thanks!

Old 10-06-2003, 09:08 AM   #2

lastoria HB User
Sorry, I'm bumping my own post because I am very curious to see if anyone with TMJD has swallowing problems. And if so, what are they like?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-06-2003, 09:26 PM   #3

SueSt HB User
I did have trouble swallowing, too. I compare it to a slow drain - it just didn't feel like anything wanted to go down. At its worst, I could not even drink with a straw, because the muscles were just too inflamed and sore.
I also had clicking, grinding, ear pressure and pain, burning sensation in jaw joint that radiated toward mouth, pain in neck and down back, pain at base of tongue so that I did not want to open my mouth even the a little bit.
Hope this helps and hope you feel better!
SueSt

Old 10-07-2003, 07:20 AM   #4

lastoria HB User
Yes, that does help. Sounds similar to the swallowing problem I'm having. It almost feels like the swallowing is slowed down and more deliberate due to muscle tension in the throat.

I have an appointment with my dentist (who's supposed to be good at diagnosing TMJ problems) this Friday, so I guess I'll see what he says.

Thanks for the response!

Old 10-13-2003, 09:18 PM   #5

thisgirl HB User
i'm curious to hear what your doctor said. "difficulty swallowing" could mean a lot of things. with me- when i eat or swallow pills, it feels like my throat is too small for it to go down. sometimes i swallow a pill and it feels like it gets stuck in my throat, and i keep drinking more water or whatever, but i can feel the pill slowly slide all the way down- like a burning sensation. i also get heartburn almost every time i eat, and i can't swallow too much at once. i was never sure if this was related to TMJ or not, because i never hear of anyone else describing any similar symptoms.

Old 10-14-2003, 05:39 AM   #6
Veteran

Marlene HB UserMarlene HB UserMarlene HB UserMarlene HB User
Question

thisgirl,

Have you been checked for Acid Reflux?

Marlene

Old 10-14-2003, 09:34 PM   #7

thisgirl HB User
Marlene,

no, i have not. i've described all my symptoms to my doctor, but she didn't really have anything to say about it. (just like all my TMJ issues...)

i'm on the lookout for a new doctor, i don't plan on seeing her again. i have lots of things i want to talk to a doctor about, hopefully the next doctor i see will actually care!

Old 07-21-2004, 04:45 AM   #8
(female)

caligirl1 HB User
Re: To those of you who have swallowing problems...

I as well have TMJ and everytime I swallow my throat clicks on the left side of my throat. Very scary to me. I have seen my doctor who says it's nothing serious. As well have been to the ENT, he did a Barium Swallow Test as well as a Scope Down my nose through my throat, and saw nothing. Does yours still bother you?

Old 07-22-2004, 05:44 PM   #9
Veteran

GenDen HB User

I would strongly advise that you see a gastroenterologist to see if you have acid reflux. Your symptoms are strongly suggestive of this diagnosis.

Old 07-23-2004, 02:38 AM   #10
(female)

caligirl1 HB User

My ENT did a barium swallow test. Are you familiar with that? It would have showed it if I did, because they have me swallow about 5 different things and I stand infront on an xray and it watches how my system is when I swallow. It watches my throat, and my stomach, etc.........So If I did he would have seen the acid reflux coming up, etc.

Old 07-23-2004, 08:56 AM   #11
Veteran

GenDen HB User

When I had my barium swallow test, it was my understanding that it shows any pouches in the esophagus, constrictions and stenosis, and motility of the esophagus. It is not a definitive test for acid reflux. An endoscopy and a 24 hr. PH test or a Bravo test are definitive in diagnosing acid reflux. These tests are done by a gastroenterologist. An ENT might recognize symptoms of reflux, but a gasteroenterologist is specifically trained in the diagnosis and treatment.

Old 08-12-2004, 07:21 AM   #12
(female)

caligirl1 HB User

I really don't think it's Acid Reflux. I have been diagnosed w/ IBS. And all my symptoms with my stomach are from that. I don't get hard burn or any other signs from Acid Reflux. I have noticed TONS have the lump like I do with TMJ. I would think if my ENT suspected Acid Reflux at all he would send me on to another or my actual doctor would. He knows of my symptoms too...I think it is anxiety/tmj

Closed Thread