It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2003, 03:28 PM   #1
Senior Veteran

Ouch-ear-pain HB User
Unhappy Elaine

Why do they do arthograms? I read on one of your posts you had to have one done, and why exactly do they do them? Thanks

Old 09-29-2003, 06:52 PM   #2
Inactive

Elaine HB User
An arthrogram shows the joint on a screen. When they inject the dye, they move the needle around and have you open and close your mouth. It shows if the meniscus is working properly. Whether it is displaced,perforated, deformed, etc. I have a high pain tolerance but that test just about did me in. It is horrible and not one I would repeat. The doctor told me it wouldn't be bad. The minute I walked into the room, here they were giving me a pill to help me relax. I knew I was in for something and it wasn't going to be good. I wouldn't wish that test on my worst enemy!!!
Has anybody else on this board had an arthrogram???
Elaine

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-01-2003, 08:03 AM   #3
Senior Veteran

Ouch-ear-pain HB User
Hi Elaine,
Do they do them to everyone? I hope that they won't do that to me!! I think that would kill me, I am very sensitive! Thanks for responding.

Old 10-01-2003, 11:07 AM   #4
Inactive

Elaine HB User
Ouch,
No, they don't do them to everyone and I don't know for sure why they did it to me. I didn't have a MRI with the first surgery, just the arthrogram. The second surgery, they did a MRI and no arthrogram. I have no clue how they choose which procedure to do but!!!!Nobody will ever catch me off guard again, with an arthrogram. That is the most painful, god awful thing I have dealt with, while being totally awake. I have a pretty high pain tolerance but that was ridiculous...
Elaine

Old 10-15-2003, 12:20 AM   #5

Ms. Potatohead HB User
I had bilateral arthrograms done in 1985 prior to having the Vitek landmines shoved into my skull. It was one of the most agonizing experiences of my life, and that was AFTER I received IV Valium. I supposed I should be thankful for that since I didn't know at that time what I was getting into...but I swear, no one will EVER put a needle into my TMJ again. Nearly twenty years later I remember it like it was yesterday. Just thinking about it gives me chills down my spine.

Closed Thread