It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2003, 05:12 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

Carey HB User
Post BOTOX INJECTIONS FOR SEVERE TMJ PAIN.

Hi everyone,

Well it has been almost 4 months since i have had my discectomy of my tmj and my pain has not diminished at all. i still have my joint, facial, ear and head pain as well as spasms. my surgeon has been pumping local anaesthetic into my joint and face area when my pain is severe, but surely this cannot go on forever.

Because of the pain i throw up sometimes and I have collapsed and been unconscious from this 3 times.

my surgeon has now suggested that i see a neurologist and possibly have botox injected into my tm joint muscles to try and alleviate some of the pain that i have.

Has any one had this done? if so, has it been beneficial?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Take care,
Carey

Old 10-08-2003, 05:40 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

saaraah HB User
im sorry to hear how you're doing.. im hoping that things will get better.

i had botox injections done 2 times. once in december 2002 and june 2003. the first time, the botox began working after a week and lasted exactly 2 months. my facial muscular pain went way down - it was great. additionally, i hardly had a migraine at all. when it went away after the 2 months, there were some lingering effects - i hardly had any migraines for a couple of months.

the second time i got botox, it didnt work at all. in fact, it made my muscular pain a lot worse. my dentist didnt have a very good explanation for why it didnt work. i believe that i built up antibodies because it semi-worked for about 2 days [my forehead felt sort of frozen], but it went back to normal after that.

for both injections, i was injected in 25-30 spots in my forehead, masseter, temporalis, neck, shoulders, etc. the injections themselves hurt a lot in some spots where the muscles were in spasm; others didnt hurt at all.

the main factor with botox, for me, was the price. it cost $1100 [CDN]. also, it didnt last very long for me [the first time].

anyway, that's my experience with botox. if you have any more questions, i'd be glad to answer them.

- saaraah.

[This message has been edited by saaraah (edited 10-08-2003).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-09-2003, 02:11 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Carey HB User
Hi Saaraah,

thanks for responding, sorry to hear about your last attempt of botox therapy. i hope now that you have some sort of pain relief.

I am not sure whether to go ahead with botox. paralysing muscle groups is just treating my symptoms but not the cause. i dont know i am just confused and a bit aprehensive about it. i have gone thru enough invasive surgeries and procedures on my tmj.

Will definately have to do some more thinking about the whole thing. i am only 23 years old and have already had 5 tmj surgeries within the past 12 months.

have you had more botox injections after your second attempt at it? if so, how has that gone?

thanks for listening.

Take care,
Carey

Old 10-09-2003, 06:04 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

saaraah HB User
carey - no, i havent gone back for more botox. i cant justify spending $1100 to see whether it'll work. i dont want to go thru the heartbreak of wasting that much money again especially when that's the money i've saved up for university.

with my new anterior repositioning splint, which ive had for 7 days, it has been giving me relief almost equal to that of the botox when it worked the first time. my muscular pain is incredibly reduced, and my right disc is popping again like it did when i had the botox [it's "supposed" to be permanently displaced].

im actually quite thrilled with how this splint has been helping me.

anyway, if you have the money [and weigh pros/cons], i'd maybe suggest getting botox so that you could have a couple of months of relief from your muscular pain.

i havent had any invasive surgeries, so i cant relate to that. however, i understand how difficult it can be to deal with TMJD when you're so young, since im 22 and have been dealing with this acutely for 3.5 years.

i really hope that you find some relief [at least, temporarily]. take care.. im thinking about you.

- saaraah.

Old 10-10-2003, 05:36 PM   #5
(female)

cvella HB User
Arrow

I also had botox injections in my forehead, temples, SCM, and traps. My doctor, who is a neurologist, did not feel comfortable giving me any injections in the masseter or any of the jaw muscles. His reasoning was that the jaw joint is very sensitive and if you don't botox the right muscles in the right places then that will upset the balance of the joint and cause more muscles spasms and pain.

I have read that sometimes when you botox one muscle, another one will go into spasm. The botox injections that I had helped a little. The muscles that were injected relaxed a little but were still in spasm. Apparently botox doesn't travel very far when injected into the muscles, so it only paralizes part of a muscle. I hope this helps. I understand why you are hesitant because botox is just a bandaid but for me, just a little pain relief was worth trying it out.

Old 10-14-2003, 06:42 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Carey HB User
Hi Saaaraah and cvella,

it is good to hear that your splint is working for you, any relief is better than none.

I went and saw a neurologist and he was quite honest with me. he said that with his experience with botox and tmj, in most cases it has caused more pain for the patient than it does good. he was very scepticle and said thaat there is 'a chance' that it may work. if it does than great but he said if the first injection does not benefit than he will not proceed to do any more (which makes sense).

the good part about it is that i dont have to pay anything for the botox, the government subsideses it, so that is a big relief for me if i do go ahead and have the injections.

cvella,
that is very intersting what your neurologist said about not injecting the masseter muscles or near the joint. mine said that he would inject into the temporalis and masseter, so i will have to think about it a lot more before i go ahead.

the last thing i dont want is more pain.

thanks for sharing your info.

Take care,
Carey

Old 10-21-2003, 09:44 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

Carey HB User
Hi all,

Well after a lot of thinking and from reading your posts, i have decided not to have the botox injections. with my history it would brobably be like murphy's law, what can go wrong will go wrong".

Take care,
Carey

Old 11-19-2003, 12:35 PM   #8

cally22 HB User
Dear Carey, This is cally22, I was just looking through some of the older posts and I discovered this one. I apologize for not responding when you first asked, but I've been really busy and in a lot of pain myself. I also had the same surgery you have had over a year and a half ago. My oral surgeon sent me to pain management, b/c I wasn't getting any better, and at this place, I had botox injections once. They did about 5 injections on each side of the jaw and about 20 to 25 acrossed my forehead. This procedure was very unpleasant for me, and I didn't have that much relief from it; therfore I decided not to go through with it again.
I hope you begin to feel better, and as for what you should do about the botox, that is a decisin that you are going to have to weigh out for yourself. Good luck. cally22..

Closed Thread