It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-16-2003, 07:24 AM   #1
Junior Member
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Marlboro,MA
Posts: 42
kaamom HB User
Talking im getting a third opinion

Hi everybody, well im going to cancel my surgery because of two reasons,1. Because reading what has been said about fat graphs has made me think twice. If it only last 2-3 years im not going to go thru this agian and 2. Because my insurance is paying 80% which leaves me with the other 20 which is probably going to cost me about $3-4,000. I dont have that kind of money, we are just making it by now with 3 kids 2 loans and all my other bills I have to pay, so this time im going to go to a TMJ specialist and see what he says. Thanks for making me realize I shouldnt just jump into things without really thinking about it. Kaamom

Sponsors Lightbulb
Old 09-16-2003, 08:19 AM   #2
Cymy Sue
Senior Veteran
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Alabama
Posts: 1,021
Cymy Sue HB User


I'm very happy to hear you've decided to do some more research and "checking" into this type of surgery. I hope you will be able to find a non-invasive treatment that will help.

Take care,
Cymy Sue

Old 09-16-2003, 08:42 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: ontario, canada
Posts: 646
saaraah HB User

kaamom - i, too, am happy that you've re-thought your decision. since your type of surgery would only last 2-3 years, i think that you've made a wise decision.

if you still *need* it later on, the option is always open for you.. however, i still would never do it.

i've forgotten what type of treatments you've tried... what are your plans now? have you seen a neuromuscular dentist?

take care.. we're here to help you out, at least emotionally.

- saaraah.

Old 09-16-2003, 03:20 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 730
DianeTMJ HB User

Hello Kaamom-
I know this must have been a hard decision for you to make, my heart though leaped with joy when I read your post, I so would hate for you to have go through anymore pain then you already have. There is conservative treatment available hopefully in your area.
Kaamom, I had so many symptoms of TMD, I had dearangment, flattened condoyles & displaced discs, all being taken care of by no surgery, nor drugs. I am doing just great.
(((( Kaamom ))))

Old 09-16-2003, 06:49 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 1,179
TiffanyAnn HB User

Hi kaamom:
I'm so glad to hear you have cancelled the surgery and are going to consult a TMJ specialist. Maybe your insurance not paying was a blessing. Perhaps if they had agreed to pay the entire cost you would have gone ahead and had the surgery and been sorry the rest of your life. I'm just so happy you're going for another opinion. Keep us posted on your progress.

Old 09-16-2003, 10:59 PM   #6
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Montana
Posts: 407
Elaine HB User

I have often thought the same thing..that insurance companies refusing surgery may be a blessing in disquise. What I think really sucks though, is the ones who have already had several surgeries and are in need of further surgery but can't get coverage. I had no clue this surgery was such a gamble. I paid for my surgery with money I was awarded for damages in a car wreck. I had no idea that I was paying for something that was going to totally destroy my quality of life forever. Then to get in so deep, I can't afford to get back out. It is hard for me to read this board at times and see how many are actually going to have surgery anyway, without really searching all options. They remind me of me, when I didn't know any better.
I read your posts and think of me!!! Our idea of the medical profession is about the same...
Take care,

Old 10-28-2003, 02:21 PM   #7
Cymy Sue
Senior Veteran
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Alabama
Posts: 1,021
Cymy Sue HB User
Post for caro

Old 11-26-2003, 08:19 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 730
DianeTMJ HB User
Re: im getting a third opinion

Bump for Tia

Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
Soon will be getting operation for cervical myelopathy timpa Spinal Cord Disorders 5 08-07-2009 12:35 AM
Dx with Fifths Disease but still suspect Lyme. Worth getting a 2nd opinion? dayandage Infectious Diseases 15 05-21-2009 12:56 PM
Please read before getting SCS!!! jaxobean Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD) (CRPS) 23 11-03-2007 05:54 PM
Do I need a third opinion??? chinakate Foot & Ankle Problems 1 10-26-2007 03:05 PM
should I get a third test? kellie2 Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian 5 05-11-2007 10:17 PM
I'm getting impatient...when will I feel better? Sadie66 Thyroid Disorders 9 02-22-2007 08:09 AM
Need help getting my girlfriend to workout-serious LB23 Exercise & Fitness 55 01-26-2007 12:54 PM
Gulf War Ailments ArcticTraveler Arthritis 72 06-24-2006 08:07 PM
Why am I getting so many cavities? VeggieGirl Dental Health 11 05-11-2005 08:10 PM
Getting our parents to meet, need the Autism Board perspective archie9uk Autism Spectrum 10 04-19-2005 03:07 PM

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Sign Up Today!

Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

I want my free account

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:26 AM.

Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2015 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!